Dark Templar are INSANE

Imagine what a stunning game dev you need to be to put something in the game that kills units faster than a BC with only a fraction of the investment that can also turn into an all-purpose unit with splash damage, that also hits earlier if you rush it and is a million times more difficult to counter.

If you do a 2 base timing push and reduce your opponent from 3 to 1 base, then they go DT and attack with 2 different DTs at once in your mineral lines, that’s an auto loss if they have any competent defense off of the 1 base (or a hidden nexus because you can’t go after it instead of going after his main and the game is lost anyway) and if they have any idea how to micro the DTs whatsoever. Even if they don’t it’s arguably still an automatic loss.

You need turrets everywhere just to have a chance… and even then you are constantly at the obscene abusive threat of them just a-moving 7 DTs in a clump into your natural when you push out.

But there’s literal bird brains who think that it’s your fault that protoss can just do the braindead abusive strategy so you can never move out, when in reality you have zero options besides just yoloing and hoping that you can win by getting your bio into their base without them seeing it.

If you rush to a raven, you’re still going to lose EVERYTHING at home if they just a-move once you’ve moved out. RTS should be so incredibly easy once you’ve already outplayed your opponent and gotten that ahead, that bacteria should be able to win.

How do idiots even feel 1% proud of just a-moving a blatantly and stupidly overpowered unit that you can’t do anything against, that everyone goes for when behind or if they want to play abusive, proving that even they know it’s obscenely OP… how is there an actual human who thinks DTs aren’t broken? Since 2016 by far the d5mb3st people in the community have been protosses going skytoss or DTs (or both) or literally denying DTs are broken.

Why put something in the game that has no counterplay once it has been successfully used and takes zero skill to use and come back from a position that should be a loss in 100% of the situations to an automatic win, but requires you to completely break your nerves to counter in a position that should already be unloseable.

Hmm that’s weird, i almost never have any issues with DT. I’m dia 3 with MMR 3100-3300 and usually i deflect DTs with relative ease. I always open 2 base timing push and i have a Raven. By the time i leave my base to attack i always have 2 - 3 turrets in my main to deal with Warp Prisms. Even if a lose to protoss it’s usually not because of DTs but rather poor scouting or misinterpretation of their build order.

In general DTs timings look like this:
one base - 4:30
two base - 5:30
So by that time you should have a turret in your main and nat.
I agree however that blink DTs are extremely annoying during late game when they snipe your PFs.

1 Like

He lost to capes, he lost to capes, if he wanted a helpful answer he should have posted all the replay files from the games where he lost to capes.

1 Like

The player shows higher MMR than most plat patrol posters around somehwere D1-M3:
https://www.rankedftw.com/team/3879957/#td=world&ty=c&ra=best&tyz=0&tx=a&tl=1

There is a way you can have replays but sc2unmasked returns nothing, that site was supposed to be for finding replays of oppos

As a Terran player, I sympathize. You need to practice your response. Or if you hate it that much get good with ravens.

Now imagine if you have flying dt with range attack which can be repaired….

1 Like

Banshees absolutely suck you stop right there

3 Likes

Try the banshee damage with focus fire compared to dt’s.

I sympathise with you, but I don’t think DTs are an issue until you’re in that super-lategame stage where they have blink and can field 15 of them at once.

In the few Versus game I played, I think I was always on the DT user side rather than on the victim side, and I can tell you: you’re exaggerating, it doesn’t take that much to be defended against, the traces of boots on my bottom following these matchs prove it.

2 Likes

The nerf addressed it adequately, you should have the response time to repair planetaries.

2 Likes

To be fair, it’s more difficult to find units who kill units slower then a BC (yes with a fraction of the investment) and since they are easy to counter I think the issue is more on your side, and not on the devs side …

There is a thing called scouting you might to want to try: it’s a new and advanced concept that has only been around for 12 years in SC II and 22 years in SC I. It consist of trying to figure out what your opponent is going for and where he is on the map. It gets stronger when you do it constantly but it has to be combined with the awareness that some buildings are missing from the main or natural. You especially might run into trouble there thinking that your opponent is just slow and not proxying or hiding something.

Also if they have a hidden base, it means that you didn’t reduce the opponent from 3 to 1 base. I suppose mathematics wasn’t your favorite class?

1 or 2 ravens and some backup scans early game and 1 turret in the mineral line. Try to avoid copying silver builds with mass turrets everywhere since you want those minerals to be put in units.

Unfortunately even bird brains can have a more advanced, flexible and functioning thoughtprocess than some of the starcraftplayers that run into trouble against some strategies they use, which of course tell more about the latter then the former.

I would even be willing to make the case if an opponent opts for a braindead strategy, it’s still favorable in some cases and tends to get good results vs people who think very highly of themselves not realising their weak points while blaming their losses on the other side’s strategy. This creates a neverending loophole of them getting upset losing at mediocre or memebuilds but not reacting in the right way. Fascinating isn’t it :slight_smile: ?

Yes yes, that’s where awareness comes in. You kinda have to (try to) keep track of where your opponents army/ armies are. Also there is the question why you should move out if you have detected that your opponent has gone for DT’s. It’s not exactly the most economic build ( especially not the 1 base version that hits at 4:30). You could also just decide to enjoy an economic advantage and macro up. After all, he’s on the clock, not you.

As I once said to one of my former girlfriends: “Congragulations on your ability to create drama out of absolutely nothing, darling!”

If your opponent discovers you are very bad at countering DT’s, I’d even give him props for using it against u and having fun whenever you act like a salty know-it-all, pedantic crybaby, not taking any responsability for your own flaws or shortcomings in this game, while also blaming him for doing what works against you.

Should you want to get better: 1 turret in each mineral line, build a raven (try not to lose it) and work on your scouting. Don’t hesitate to post the replay btw…

1 Like

Kinda daft to say anything can be countered. The question is really what DT play does to the matchup in general. If Terran is forced to mix in sub-optimal builds to counter the potential for DT’s, other Protoss builds become stronger. (If DT was removed from the game-> Terran can skip the early ebay every TvP → every T v P opener becomes stronger and Terran’s first push is stronger.)

I personally think the MU is balanced, but looking at DT play and counterplay in a vacuum doesn’t tell you anything about balance.