Co-Op Mutation #411: My Bots!

Stetmann made more than just harvesting bots. However, there were errors in the code and now the boom bots and kill bots are headed to destroy the harvesting bots. Both are invulnerable, but each one is defused differently. Stay cool under pressure to save the bots from the bots.

Boom Bots - Uncaring automatons carry a nuclear payload toward your base. One player must discern the disarming sequence and the other player must enter it.
Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1 Player 2
[CtG (Arcturus)] Neometal (Zagara)
[CtG (Zeratul)] Ancalagon (Kerrigan)
[CtG (Stetmann)] Ancalagon (Vorazun)
[CtG (Stukov)] [Tombow (Swann)]

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Boom bots are untargetable units that walk toward the players, and detonate a nuke upon contact. They will survive the blast and keep walking until they are defused.
  • Each boom bot has a [4-digit code] that only one player can see. However, it is only the other player who can enter this code [through the command card or by using number keys] , to defuse the boom bot.
  • The boom bots are [visible from the minimap] , and spawn from enemy structures.
  • The terrazine harvesters do not spawn boom bots or kill bots.
  • The [Kill Bots] spawn from any enemy building. Clearing the whole map will stop the Bot spawns.
  • The Kill Bots originally appeared in “Violent Night” as Amon’s gift.
  • The more expensive each of your units are, the worse deal you get. If you are Nova or Tychus, for example, it might be worthwhile to produce spare SCVs to feed the bots, if your ally is unable to help.
  • Free units, such as Stukov’s Infested, Zerglings in general, and Stetmann’s Roaches Away are the most cost-effective solution to feed the Kill Bots.
  • Destroying all buildings will stop both kill bots and boom bots from spawning. The bonus objectives do not spawn boom bots or kill bots.

Vote which 3 commanders you think are best for this mutation here:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

2 Likes

Interesting. I think it’s the first time i’ve handled boom bots. Wish me luck.

Whoa boy. Sacrificial units plus ally coordination.

on Random ladder, this gets a hard pass from me.
I’ve seen Steman work wonders on this, as his lings can delay the kill bots for quite some time, and his stetalites give you vision to see and take out that boom bot.

Mutation overlap 227 this week 2nd

1st clear Tychus P2+Zagara P1

Mutation (My Bots!) play list

No good. I could handle 2 maybe 3 codes at a time but 4-6? Nah. I’m sitting this one out too.

2 Likes

Same here. In fact, I just played several games, all LOSSES, as Stukov P0…
1st game — Boom Bot just wiped out our bases. Ally didn’t even enter the code

2nd game — same ally. I messaged if he knows how to take on Boom Bots. I ask him for the code. No response. I think that ally was a bot, or didn’t speak English, or simply didn’t know what was going on

3rd game — got to the 2nd to last leg (with 3 harvesting bots on top). I lost my Rax, and my ICC, so I had to rebuild them (haven’t done that in a while!). That sucked b/c I was using them to feed Kill Bots. My ally was Kerrigan, so she was able to use Lings in a pinch, while I used Aleksander, and Infest Structure.

… It’s annoying how sometimes, there’s a cd (cooldown) for entering the numbers. It seems to always happen if you click on the numbers, but using the keypad may sometimes do so? Just, awful.
I got a busy week, so I’m going to skip it anyways since I won’t have much time to keep plugging away at this. One server is maxed out (so no need for XP*), while the other one… I’m at m46, but am going to abandon it since it’s just going to be a rather lengthy, time sink.

*. It’d be nice to up my Mutation Bounty count, but in the end, that’s just a number.

1 Like

Yea. Ill be honest with you. I like to do brutal +5 and sometimes higher with friends. I am willing to try ever mutation even some of the annoying ones. Microtransactions, Propagators, Polarity, Missile Command. However I always quit if we roll boombots because this mutation can get to be rather unfun once multiple boombots start appearing in the map at once.

1 Like

How many show up at once? I hear towards the end, it’s 3?

I guess if you can all clear, bring that down to 0, but then you’d probably need your ally to be on board with that.

This mutation requires expendable units as they are cannon fodder for enemy bots. Recommended commanders:

• Stukov P3
  • Zagara P1
  • Alarak P3 (Supplicants as cannon fodder)
  • Raynor P0
  • Stetmann P1
  • Mengsk P3

The cooldown appears when you enter an incorrect digit.

1 Like

[Brutal] Zeratul (P3) + Stukov (P3): https://youtu.be/RmEAECVn5e0

Enemy was Protoss. I tried to clear the whole map so Bots stop spawning. It worked sometimes, until Zera got bad timings. Ally did a great work too, with his calldowns. I loved when he paused the game, almost every single time the Bots spawned, just to type the codes: I found it to be safer than the usual “I type it and you guess which bot is the one I’m referring to”. We got both bonuses.

Boom Bots is such a vile mutator. It is trivial to deal with if you pause the game as soon as one enters vision with good scouting, but that just makes the mission take twice as long.

Don’t run a micro heavy commander. Stetmann is probably MVP, but Stukov is a close second.

1 Like

I hear it’s great with voice chat. However, I’m told the one the game offers isn’t good, so Discord may be in order

1 Like

I managed to do a 14 minute structure clear with Zagara and Stukov.
youtube: Zagara + Stukov full map clear at 14 minutes

1 Like

First time playing against Boom Bots!

It plays like a soft version of Polarity – you have to hope that matchmaking does not pair you with a blind, arthritic donkey – but at least you get downtime between bots and you can do some kiting while waiting for your ally to work their magic.

Beat it as Raynor P0 with a Stukov P3 ally.

This is one of the few times where Raynor felt like a strong (i.e. not significantly worse than average) pick because scans meant we could defuse the bombs as they spawned.

Lag defeated me.

4chars

Bad lag!