Co-Op Mutation #403: Hardware Malfunction

The ultimate defense protocol is a combination of redundancies. The Taldarim knows this and so has activated the invincible kill bots, on top of the mine defenses and the Laser Drill. You need to work with your ally to clear the way forward for the transport.

Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.
Laser Drill - An enemy Laser Drill constantly attacks player units within enemy vision.
Minesweeper - Groups of Widow Mines and Spider Mines are buried throughout the battlefield.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• The [Kill Bots] spawn from any enemy building. You cannot stop them from spawning because the Suppression Tower spawns are unkillable enemy buildings.
  • Large groups of Widow Mines and Spidermines are spawned on the map. Players can destroy these to clear them out.
  • Widow Mines have 180HP, deal 250 damage each with 5 range, and replenish their charges.
  • Spidermines have 25HP, deal 250 damage each, and do not respawn upon detonation.
  • The [Moebius Laser Drill] has 1000HP/2000Shields, 2 Armor, deals 20 damage per second, and has a range of 500.
  • Upon being destroyed, the Laser Drill [will revive after 120 seconds] .
  • Free units, such as Stukov’s Infested, Zerglings in general, and Stetmann’s Roaches Away are the most cost-effective solution to feed the Kill Bots.
  • Laser Drill location: https://i.imgur.com/JJNwFj1.png

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/20343775
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/20343776
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/20343777

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

4 Likes

#219 Hardware Malfunction – 2/18 SOLO CLEAR

Mutators: Kill Bots, Laser Drill, Minesweeper

https:// youtube.com/shorts/_nTKp26rR-g?feature=share

One of the most disgusting mutations ever. I didn’t even bother with other commanders because there’s too much luck involved (for the mine spawns) and it’s near impossible for over half the roster.

Contrary to what many might think, Zagara is not the best because she is bad at clearing mines. She’s only good vs the laser (when defending an already-cleared area) and vs the kill bots (which is the biggest mutator, so I’ll give her that). Of course she’s still at the top because she’s a zerg.

For duos: Stetmann, Stukov

For solo queue: Stetmann, Stukov

Contrary to what many might think, it’s still not easy with either of these commanders.

If your ally is Stetmann, Stukov, Zagara, or Kerrigan, you might get a skewed perspective as to the actual strength of your commander because these four will be doing the heavy lifting.

Successes [and key points]

Stetmann (p2) https://youtu.be/IT13Vb57ISw

Stukov (p3) https://youtu.be/5fSty1A0res

Questions about any of these runs are welcome.

2 Likes

This mutation requires sacrifice and detection as you will face mines and laser drill. Recommended commanders:

• Zagara P1
  • Stukov P3
  • Tychus P2
  • Stetmann P2
  • HH P1-P3
  • Zeratul P3

Got lucky to be paired with a competent P1 Zagara but yes this mutation was won through sheer attrition alone. The killbots that spawn from former bases are a real pain here so it’s better to build bunkers everywhere and keep a charge of infest structure in reserve in case a couple spawn close to your expansions.

2 Likes

This mutation is what CTG sometimes refers to as"A commander check". Basically if you don’t have either Zagara or Stukov on your team, you are probably gonna have a pretty bad time with this mutation. However if you do this mutation is very much doable if you have either one of them on your team.

For Stukov I recommend P3 since you can just auto generate infested deals with the killbots easily without much issue.

Contrary to what many might think, Zagara is not the best because she is bad at clearing mines. She’s only good vs the laser (when defending an already-cleared area) and vs the kill bots (which is the biggest mutator, so I’ll give her that). Of course she’s still at the top because she’s a zerg.

You have a good point, but why Egon? Is it because of his zerglings?

One of the most disgusting mutations ever. I didn’t even bother with other commanders because there’s too much luck involved (for the mine spawns) and it’s near impossible for over half the roster.

Agreed. Mainly because I think Killbots a badly designed mutation. There are so many better ways they could have designed this.

3 Likes

Mutation overlap 219 this week 2nd

[1st clear Stukov P3+Artanis]

[Mutation (Hardware Malfunction) play list]

I wish people stopped hyperfocusing on optionals before the path is clear. I’ve had several Stukov allies that insisted on defending the 2nd optional objective with their entire army instead of clearing the path and shielding Aurana from Killbots, which in turn left her so heavily battered that she died to 1 or 2 tower attacks.

2 Likes

Some people really like the feeling of completing all the optional objectives or they are looking for the xp. But in either case winning the game is preferable to the maybe 2500-5000 extra xp from bonuses.

2 Likes

Guilty. But I am trying my best to ignore optional objectives during weekly mutations. This one I had to leave the first one behind because Aurana was already heading for the 2nd point and it wasn’t cleared yet. I did secure the 2nd one since I parked half of my infested siege tanks there.

3 Likes

Even with Stukov and Egon or Zagara this can be a fairly challenging mission cause its not just the killbots, but the laser and mines. This map is also in my opinion one of the harder brutal maps since you have to manage a lot of things going on at once.

2 Likes

I don’t mind doing optionals on mutations, I do them myself almost all the time.
I don’t even mind people losing an entire army on an optional that became absurdly difficult because of a mutator combination. In fact, it can be amusing at times, even if it causes a mission loss.

But when the exact same thing happens multiple times in a row, and the result is loss at the exact same time, in exactly the same way… then i think it’s time to call it quits and skip the mutation. :slight_smile:

And the worst part is, all of those people played well overall and it was doable, i just wish they skipped that cursed optional.
Maybe it would’ve gone better if i did it instead… :thinking:

I had one Malw Mutation where I accidentally triggered the bonus. My Nova ally got creamed. :blush: We did a rematch and I made sure NOT to trigger that

Before I maxed out my levels, I def. ignore bonus obj. b/c the weekly XP bounty was too great to miss out on. Now that I’m maxed out, I still ignore them b/c these Brutal+4’s are hard enough already, and I do like having my Mutation Bounty count go up (even though it’s long been just a number after you get 200 for the achievement)

2 Likes

Usually, having just one of them would be enough. But it sounds like for this week, having both Zag P1 and Stukov P3 wouldn’t be so redundant?

Possibly. At least one will do.

Did it as Tychus P3 once again. Definitely not my proudest run.

In theory I expected to quickly form a full party with Nikara (healing, detection), Nux (detection), Rattlesnake (healing) and Sirius (detection, damaging), and also Odin coming along for soaking the shots and shooting here 'n there — all that to sum up in a not so deadly, but pretty durable force, able to outlive mines and Mr. Laser. But in practice mines alone have proven to be much more painful than expected, and the annoying Mr. Laser with Kill Bots certainly didn’t make it any easier.

Exactly as RayoftheSun mentioned above, the heavylifting was done by the “right” allied commander, which in my case was Stukov P3. Gotta say, I was actually lucky that Stukov P3 guy agreed carrying my arss to begin with, the previous players I matched with either straight up left the game or talked trash about me “picking a bad commander and not reading the mutation”. Though I tried doing my all best in pushing and dealing with the enemy waves, in the end it was clear that without the help of such large cannon fodder I certainly would be doomed.

Ugly mutation. Glad to be done with it, even without bonuses.
Looking forward to the next one, which I hope would be a peace of cake for Mengsk P3.

P.S. Why Tychus, you may ask? Well, so far the only four commanders I have maxed out on US are Tychus, Zeratul, Karax & Mengsk. Not so much to choose from for this week, you see.

2 Likes

Stetmann is good because of Gary. He’s a detector, has 2000 HP (with p2), and an AOE ability that clears mines. Because of Kill Bots, you don’t research hardened shields, so his lings don’t really do anything except feed and kill suppression towers.

2 Likes

Even if Super Gary takes a hit or 3, just heal him via green zone and he’ll be on his way! Your units should generally be in stetzones anyways, and that’s most def. true with Gary on P2

Stukovs role is not mine sweeping, its killbot feeding, if stukov is minesweeping then you are doing nothing (or they are bad). Hint being on using the army for the bonus objectives rather than the calldowns, mines/path ahead should already been cleared by the time you activate the bonus.

Nova is also a decent commander since she can take over minesweeping plus damaging the towers, provided she gets a partner that deals vs killbots.

1 Like

What a Brutation!

I tried Stukov a few times, but my army was all over the place and allies didn’t sweep mines enough.

Switched to Super Gary and basically just cleared and pumped lings to eat killbots until a good stukov came around, which lead to a loss coz i lagged so hard, so reduced graphics to minimum and another good stukov came and voila game won

overall prob 6-8 tries

1 Like

CTG’s ranking videos on the topic. Very interesting watch.

2 Likes