Co-Op Mutation #395: Call of the Void

Various vexing void vermin venture viciously via vents, villainously vandalizing Void Valley. Vanquish.

Void Reanimators - Void Reanimators wander the battlefield, bringing your enemies back to life.
Void Rifts - Void Rifts periodically appear in random locations and spawn enemy units until destroyed.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Frightful Fleshwelder] [Twotuuu Backwater Marshal]
[CtG Toxic Tyrant] Sticksbender Hierarch of the Daelaam
[CtG Dark Prelate] Dr Lila Renegade Commander
[CtG Lone Puppy] BLIZZARD Lord of the Horde

Void Rift Timings

Time Rifts
2:20 2 Rifts
3:50 2 Rifts
5:20 2 Rifts
6:50 2 Rifts
8:20 4 Rifts
9:50 4 Rifts
11:20 4 Rifts
12:50 4 Rifts
14:20, and after every 90 seconds 4 Rifts

[ [Reddit Post Link]](Will add later)

Notes:

• Each Void Rift has 500HP, and their spawnings are signalled by a minimap ping on each Rift.
  • The first Void Rifts spawn very close to your base, however the Rifts start to spawn further, often behind enemy lines.
  • Units that spawn from Void Rifts do not drop biomass nor essence.
  • Void Rifts tend to spawn in places where there are not a lot of enemy units, including mines, nearby.
  • A [Void Reanimator] is a ground unit that walks around the map and instantly revives a single random unit every few seconds.
  • The Void Reanimator has 200HP and 200 shields, runs around without any minimap indicator, and cares not whether you killed an enemy a minute or an hour ago. He will revive it.
  • If at any point in the game, you get a seemingly endless stream of enemies, try searching up their attack path. There are probably 2-3 Void Reanimators there.
  • Void Renimators revive enemies spawned from Void Rifts.
  • Void Reanimators do not revive Void Thrashers.
  • Up to four [4] Void Reanimators can be active on the map at any given time.

Commander of the Week: Commander of the week [Call of the Void] - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com
Mutation difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=UgkxinRo_Ic-UgyJKyfUT94HHpeLKHt4t40u
Do you like this mutation? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUE03WFZfPAz00OE5kIixYw/community?lb=Ugkx20UzzMrKYbb8HJ3E382zeyCFKAuF8nbT

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

2 Likes

Mutation overlap 210 this week 2nd
1st clear Mengsk P3+Stetmann P1
Mutation (Call of the Void) play list

This mutation is very tricky, Void Reanimators and Rifts are painful to deal with. You’ll need strong defenses and overwhelming odds to beat the Thrashers, Reanimators and Rifts at the same time. Recommended commanders:

• Karax P3
  • Raynor P0/P1
  • Tychus P2
  • Zagara P1
  • Kerrigan P0-P3
  • Alarak P3
  • Swann P1
  • Stukov P1/P3
  • Zeratul P2

#210 Call of the Void – Currently 5/18 SOLO CLEAR

Mutators: Void Reanimators, Void Rifts

One of the most difficult rift mutations. You don’t die instantly like in Aggressive Recruitment; you die a slow painful death as Amon’s army snowballs.

There are two general strats for this mutation: Super idef or zone control.

Super idef: Kill rifts using hit squads and let the trickles go to your base. Kill the reanimators if they get close to your base, but otherwise you just kinda let them revive stuff. Kill the objective using air units.

Zone control: Spread defenses/units around the map. You want to clear the center area, then the area between the 1st and 2nd sets of thrashers and the area between 1st and 3rd sets of thrashers. Any rifts that spawn in areas under your control will be free kills, and reanimators will be stopped at one of those three places. You’ll still need air units to get the far rifts. Clear all the buildings on the left side so no reanimators spawn there.

For duos: A defensive commander (Swann, Karax, Zeratul, Mengsk) and a rift-clearer (Abathur, Zagara, Tychus, Zeratul)

For solo queue: Tychus, Zagara, Abathur

Failures [and why I failed]

Alarak (p3) [only tried twice; hard to defend three places at once]

Dehaka (p3) [so difficult to even get to the 220 mark]

Karax (p3) [too much RNG trying to trap reanimators; not enough energy without zoo]

Kerrigan (p0) [Kerrigan is overworked and underpaid]

Mengsk (p3) [too difficult to deal with reanimators]

Stetmann (p2) [too many rifts that Gary can’t reach]

Swann (p1, p2) [idef can’t hold; hard to clear rifts]

Successes [and key points]

Abathur (p2) https://youtu.be/uYQ1Am_GNAs [spread swarm hosts for map control]

Tychus (p2) https://youtu.be/6Z7mhpXcovo [the usual zone defense]

Vorazun (p3) https://youtu.be/gEmUvTvbDos [super easy vs terran]

Zagara (p3) https://youtu.be/4tZjE_ML6Rg [bile launchers for the last area]

Zeratul (p3) https://youtu.be/FgyoA7LCdHU [idef while DTs kill rifts and Zeratul and Zoraya kill the objectives]

Questions about any of these runs are welcome.

1 Like

This one is hard, but I don’t think its as hard as resilient rifts was. Void reanimators seems like a watered down version of just die and you can kill reanimators with some things.

Pass on this one too. Bad luck with pairing on the pub queue.

1 Like

This is actually quite doable with the right combo: the trick is to one-base and have one commander defend the bases and the other one clear the trashers.

My ally went Karax Architect of War (P1) to defend, I went Zeratul Herald of the Void (P3) to clear the trashers and some of the rifts I encountered. Zera had a good day and cleared all trashers easily… With the spare money I made some extra DT’s since we got a ground comp. We failed once after we messed up the beginning but we did clean it quite easily once we got the beginning right. This combo makes it more like a +2 and even then I’m rating it highly…

For defense COs, it works better if you can push out to cover more of the vr spawning areas (at least according to CtG’s videos). BUt base defense should suffice

Once again this is a Brutal Mutation where the biggest difficulty is your random ally.
Usually they have no clue what to focus on.

I find this is one of those mutations where it’s best to not expand.
It takes too long to wind up if you expand and you will get overwhelmed.
Trying H&H P1 with Randoms. Almost did it, lost with 1% left on the last void thrash.

holy shi.t that was a close one. i played swann p1 and got a vorazun ally. he did timestop at 100hp left and we successfully killed the remaining 4 trashers

I don’t think so. Having an ally is better then no ally. However it does often require you to carry depending on who and how your ally is playing.

i supposse it works bc karax is instant, but karax can expand first, he takes a while to saturate bc you are spending non stop as soon as the rifts start spawning but you can set the nexus up early

whenever you kill a bunch in a small area move defenses forward to catch reanimators in vision, your ally can help trying to snipe buildings and rifts (left most likely), once reanims go away and you have vision of most of the map it is far easier

1 Like

I would add Nova P3 (quiet underrated), she can sneak up with supercloak behind enemy lines and close rifts that are difficult to reach with easy. Also she can snipe ressurection units, summon hitsquads, and is fine with 1 base.

I played with 10x ppl, noone (not ONE) of them closed rifts… they probably think that you have to challenge the neverending spawning army… instead of just closing the rifts…

Pass on this one (sadly). I’ve never met so many confused co-operators.

Or they just go all for zone control… but why would you want to challenge armies from 4 directions + reanimators instead of just sniping 500 HP rifts? cmon

This is normal for Rifts. Even after all these years, many people (most of them playing the “defensive” commanders) still think that simply building defenses is enough to survive Rifts.
They absolutely do not realize that infinite units will overwhelm any and all defenses eventually (especially once Immortals start spawning). Void Reanimators make it even worse.

Karax players seem particularly guilty of this. Although to be fair P3 Karax is pretty good in this mutation if karax can get the vision of the rifts.

1 Like