Co-Op Mutation #227: My Bots!

Stetmann made more than just harvesting bots. However, there were errors in the code and now the boom bots and kill bots are headed to destroy the harvesting bots. Both are invulnerable, but each one is defused differently. Stay cool under pressure to save the bots from the bots.

Boom Bots - Uncaring automatons carry a nuclear payload toward your base. One player must discern the disarming sequence and the other player must enter it.
Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG (Arcturus)] Neometal (Zagara)
[CtG (Zeratul)] Ancalagon (Kerrigan)
[CtG (Stetmann)] Ancalagon (Vorazun)
[CtG (Stukov)] [Tombow (Swann)]

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Boom bots are untargetable units that walk toward the players, and detonate a nuke upon contact. They will survive the blast and keep walking until they are defused.
  • Each boom bot has a [4-digit code] that only one player can see. However, it is only the other player who can enter this code [through the command card or by using number keys], to defuse the boom bot.
  • The boom bots are [visible from the minimap], and spawn from enemy structures.
  • The terrazine harvesters do not spawn boom bots or kill bots.
  • The [Kill Bots] spawn from any enemy building. Clearing the whole map will stop the Bot spawns.
  • The Kill Bots originally appeared in “Violent Night” as Amon’s gift.
  • The more expensive each of your units are, the worse deal you get. If you are Nova or Tychus, for example, it might be worthwhile to produce spare SCVs to feed the bots, if your ally is unable to help.
  • Free units, such as Stukov’s Infested, Zerglings in general, and Stetmann’s Roaches Away are the most cost-effective solution to feed the Kill Bots.
  • Destroying all buildings will stop both kill bots and boom bots from spawning. The bonus objectives do not spawn boom bots or kill bots.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/20778882
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/20778883
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/20778884

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

6 Likes

Barring any trolling, will the boom bots be all that bad?

There’s a cheese strategy going around of lifting/destroying your townhall structures to de-aggro the Boom Bots from your base. Upon testing on custom mutations, this strategy appears to not work there. The cheese right now seems to only be available on the Maguro maps. Further testing may verify or dispute this.

Killbots…oh u mean Zagara time…

Boom Bots is not delay… $@)&*#$&@#…
It’s very difficult
1st clear Zagara P1+Artanis

#227 Mutation (My Bots!) play list.

1 Like

Stetmann time, actually. He does the same thing that Zag does, with the added benefit of permanent vision giving ALL the time in the world to defuse boom bots.

1 Like

It seems to be the case for maps with neutral entities like VT (Hammer’s Fortress), VL (research station), and in this case, MO (Stet’s lab). These neutral entities somehow give vision to Amon, so the bots know where to go. The cheese has been confirmed to work on maps like RtK and ME.

pause on entering the codes is a great idea CtG

I like the Boom Bot design. Very… chill as it makes its way to you lol.

1 Like

To enter the bot code, do you only need vision, or does the bot have to be on your screen? Or do you have to be on screen, with one of your units in sight range? And does the nuke go off if it contacts any of your units or structures?

Zagara P1 gonna destroy this mutation

1 Like

You’ll have to click on the bot to access it’s command card to enter the code. For that it will need to be on your screen. You could look away but if you select something else, you’ll need to re-click the bot…with it on-screen. (Or for the other player who needs to see its code, no click required, just on screen.)

To see the code, the Boom Bot has to be visible to either player or their units, since vision is shared. So either one can send a worker or whatever and both have to have it on screen and can see it. One player sees ‘?-?-?-?’ and the other sees the code.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to hate this mutation in passion, as any other mutation that requires ally to do anything… I swear I’m optimistic guys

2 Likes

I suggest to pause game a lot in order to tell your stupid teammate the code or wait for him to tell you the code.

1 Like

God I hope people don’t do this lol. Last thing we need is another mutator that “incentivize” players to pause repeated until they can’t to deal with a single mutator.

If I’m going to die by nuke, let me die in dignity of my (or my ally’s) incompetence to communicate and type. And not death by gruesome “game paused” “game unpaused” “game paused” “game unpaused”… “game paused” “game unpaused”.

One my first try I tried to destroy all the base in order to negate those two mutations, It didn’t work though, the boombots ate through my army like paper but I’ll try again in another server.
(Btw I beat mutation)

Boom Bot seem like a mutation for custom game between two friend than an actual challenge for random coop game.

1 Like

Getting ready for random allies not entering codes, can’t wait :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well this just sounds awful…

If you select the Boom Bot and it goes out of vision, you can still input the code. You don’t need vision of it once you select it to input the codes.

3 Likes