Co-Op Mutation #212: Locked and Loaded

Invulnerable constructs attack your base, killing mercilessly until mysteriously shutting off after a certain amount of blood has been shed. Capture the locks quickly for the sake of your troops.

Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.
Mineral Shields - Mineral clusters at player bases are periodically encased in a shield which must be destroyed for gathering to continue.
Temporal Field - Enemy Temporal Fields are periodically deployed throughout the map.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG (Abathur)] Ancalagon (Vorazun)
[CtG (Zeratul)] DEATHwish (Han and Horner)
[CtG (Nova)] [Hunter (Stetmann)]
[CtG (Zagara)] DEATHwish (Tychus)
[CtG (Artanis)] Iswald (Stukov)
[CtG (Arcturus)] [Hunter (Alarak)]

[Reddit Post Link]

Other Notes:

• The [Kill Bots] spawn from any enemy building. Clearing the whole map will stop the Bot spawns.
  • The Kill Bots originally appeared in “Violent Night” as Amon’s gift.
  • The more expensive each of your units are, the worse deal you get. If you are Nova or Tychus, for example, it might be worthwhile to produce spare SCVs to feed the bots, if your ally is unable to help.
  • Free units, such as Stukov’s Infested, Zerglings in general, and Stetmann’s Roaches Away are the most cost-effective solution to feed the Kill Bots.
  • Mineral shields are 50 health structures. A minimap ping indicates their arrival. If not destroyed they last a very long time then they disappear on their own.
  • Player units and static defense DO NOT autotarget Mineral Shields.
  • Temporal Field renders units and buildings completely immobile until it dissipates. Heroes are slowed.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465901
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465902
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/19465903

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

3 Likes

ez map. ez mutation…

#212 Mutation (Locked and Loaded) play list.

1 Like

Now this is a really easy mutation you can reliably finish under 10 minutes (in a party, not in the random queue), if you want to farm achievements, this is the time to do it.

Looks like a Zagara week.

1 Like

Technically, stetlings are effectively slightly cheaper than Zagara’s due to the reincarnation mechanic. Just thought I‘d point that out.

2 Likes

I saw this comment on youtube and I thought I’d share it. It said that if you set the Bile Launcher on the mineral area, it’ll damage and destroy the Mineral Shield without having to look back at your mineral. I think I’ll try this when I get the chance.

9 Likes

didn’t know that. Cool!
It probably works the same for Mengsk cannons, but I will definitely test it later…

You need at least 5 Bile Launchers to cover your whole mineral line with Bile Launchers, and then another upgrade to make them shoot faster. With how fast this mutation is, the amount of minerals you save is probably not worth the investment you actually put into Bile Launchers.

Besides, having spine crawlers in control groups, and bases on camera locations isn’t really that hard.

2 Likes

you can just have 1-2 Bile launcher instead of 5. Takes about the same amount of resources and micro than Spine crawlers, with the added benefit that they’ll also break a couple mineral shields while you are not looking.

But, IDK, I have not tried it yet. It might be completely inefficient.

1 Like

That sounds like a waste. Bile launchers don’t shoot THAT slow without that upgrade.

I’m curious, will something like a widow mine perform the same way? What about spider mines?

I tried bile launchers. 2 for each base and no upgrades was enough to keep the minerals shield free. Compared to using spines, I felt I had more minerals to spend and could focus more on bots and attack waves. Downside was unit upgrades came later. Maybe it’s a tossup. If you’re good at paying attention to the shields, then spines. If you don’t want think about shields, then launchers. Or go with a mix of both.

1 Like

But I don’t own Stettman so…It’s a Zagara week for me.

They do not autotarget structures.

Earthsplitters work like bile launchers, but their shots spread in an area. They don’t always hit the same place.

Just don’t research the hardened shields for them.

Kill bots are the only thing that makes me play Zerg, and my world worst Zag gets dusted off. Got matched with an Artanis, got through the mission, easy enough.

Failed as Zagara lol. I rarely played her so that’s why I lost. Bile Launcher did work though. I went with three per base but two Launcher seem the right amount for each base.

Came back as Kerrigan for second try and I have Stukov as ally. Beat the mission but didn’t get the bonus.

My strategy is to formed a wall of Nydus Worm around me and my ally base. Nydus Worm help buy us time to build and slow down the kill bot/enemies wave push. I believe Kill Bot can still get the kill count for destroying Nydus Worm. My ally can also infest structure on my Nydus Worm so that’s a plus.

Beat this with Kerrigan (Me) and Stukov ally.

Stukov fed Kill bots and protect every objective building to prevent the AI to recapture it and I am pushing the bases and open path for my ally.

Pretty easy mutation.

1 Like

If I were playing this, I’d have Stukov feed the kill bots free infested walkers. (Not to mention let someone else play as Zagara). I’m guessing it may be nicer to tone down the Volatile Infested mastery, and the having a lower cd for Infest Structure would come in extra handy (although I don’t believe the kill bots can kill any of them before their timed life runs out).

Heh, I saw it on Reddit :wink: But yeah, this is one nice thing about the way BL’s work… they don’t auto-target stuff, but you have to manually set them to shoot an area. Otherwise, towers do NOT automatically shoot min shields.

Exactly. This is why I don’t recommend bile launchers. Gas is the constraining resource for Zagara since she needs it for Banelings Scourge and Abs. Why invest gas to save up some minerals that you can free up eitherway by just using control groups and camera hotkeys?

I rest my case.

2 Likes

This mutation is quite easy.

Zagara and Tychus.

I was Zagara and went 4 hatch lings/bane. Zagara’s role is to defend. Send lings and banes to every bot that comes, kill all attack waves. No need to kill the mineral shields as Zag if you are defending because you won’t go through many units.

Tychus can just clear the map, and run away from kill bots. Once a lock is cleared, Zagara can just send a few lings to help capture.

I just built a spinecrawler beside each expansion and hotkeyed them. Whenever the mineral shield sound pops up I took a few seconds to just make them attack the shields.