Cannot patch the game

Since this week. I cannot patch starcraft 2 from 5.0.8.86383
I have reinstalled windows 8.1 that I’m currently using and it temporarily works yesterday.
However today it still shows patching the game, while no files is being downloaded. After a while the error message shows I have to run as administrator. I do not want to reinstall windows again.
Any solutions?

that’s also my latest version, and as far as I know, SC2’s latest version, in other words, you’re already up to date or, rather, you can’t patch SC2 because nothing is supposed to be updated at this time. Does it tell you that SC2 is being updated? Can you click the play button?

if you can click play, does it have a loading bar that never stops?

I found a similar problem that another user had and Blizzard’s response, try this:

Instead of the Play button, the button is update.
And I have to click that update button and the file is being updating.
So there is no play button.

hmm…when you click update it won’t update then?

curious…can you see a red bar being filled up, when you click update?

Also, try to create a new admin on your computer, if you can, to see if your computer account is the problem.

When I click update it shows its awaiting another update, it is initialising, so the bar is stuck at beginning.After 5 mins it shows I have to run as an adminstration so it fails.

My internet connection still works for other games like warcraft, starcraft1, and hearthstone.
The problem now is only starcraft 2.

try to prioritize updating SC2, there should be a button next toe the word “play” that will prioritize updating SC2 first.

does battle.net have to be updated, or any other Blizzard app that you have installed?

If that doesn’t work, try a scan and repair

I have the same problems since 2 days ago and cant update SC2. Error message: “Please try again after logging on as an administrator"
Message code: BLZBNTAGT00000841
Any solutions? Blizzard

thanks & regards,

I just delete Starcraft II files in my documents. (backup beforehand for replays and hotkeys ofc).
And the game can be launched once finally. Thanks to the forum and Spartsou for solutions.

evidently Blizzard’s aware of an issue that some games are repeatedly updating and, they’re working on a fix.

Deleting the Starcraft II folder in Documents fixed it for me too. It gets re-built when the update actually runs properly.

No need to reinstall SC2 (or Windows). It’s an unnecessary overkill that ironically won’t solve anything. Only temporary “solution” till Blizz fixes the bogus “update” bug is to run SC2 vis SC2-Switcher.
Run ““C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\Support64\SC2Switcher_x64.exe””.

1 Like

Thanks for the solution of Deleting StarCraft II folder in Documents (I just renamed it to something else).

While the new campaign issues seem to have been corrected, my SC2 continually tries to update itself upon exiting the game and the launcher maximizes.

I have been having the same problem for over a week now. Unless Blizzard fixes the problem I guess I will go back to Sins of a Solar Empire, AoE and RoN. Fix your issues Blizzard !!!

After Posting the above text I noticed the earlier post about deleting the StarCraft II folder in Documents… Son of a Gun IT WORKED!!! Thanks for the post ahurry.

You don’t really need to delete or rename this folder. If you know how to modify permission, change the owner of the folder and subfolders to Administrators. After this, the game will update and settings will be maintained.

Deleting the Starcraft II folder in Documents fixed it for me too. I had the same issues with Heroes of the Storm, and deleting his folder in Documents solve it too. Thanks guys for the solutions, I’ve tried to solve it for 2 weeks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.