Blizzard Activision being bought by Microsoft for 69 billion

They are not the company that I would have preferred to buy out blizzard, but to me this is still amazingly good news. Blizzard was at the tip top, but they had fallen so hard that it is still hard to imagine. I’ll be much more confident in Microsoft’s ability to carry the torch forward and restore the former glory. I am very much looking forward to the future.

3 Likes

I doubt very much will change. If ATVI was being absorbed, then maybe. However, it sounds like they are just being bought.

It’s not likely to be any different than PepsiCo owning and managing their own Pepsi products, and also owning but not directly managaning Frito Lay.

As for the future, I suspect that ATVI won’t ever be absorbed because the Brand is too big/well known in the industry.

1 Like

This is a much bigger deal for sc2 than people are thinking. During their aoe2 tournaments they’d feature sc2 as showmatches using the aoe2 pros (but somehow this news never made it to the starcraft reddit). They’ve also produced content with Serral and Reynor for aoe2. Clearly, they care about sc2 to some capacity. At the very least, much more than most people expect.

Aoe2 has also worked very hard at pumping out new co-op maps using their campaign (basically just campaign maps but with an extra base for a human ally or having the second player replace an ai ally) and advertising co-op. Every aoe2 update currently comes with new co-op campaigns.

4 Likes

The fact that both AoE and Starcraft are going to be owned by the same company is crazy lol that is something I would have never saw coming. They did pretty good with AoE 4, I’d love to see what they can help do with Sc3, which I feel like is going to be a little more likely to happen now.

3 Likes

Give me Ketchup. Give me Mustard. Give me Salt and Pepper.
But more importantly give me Sauces!

ExplanationI never understood why people used the word "sauces" for "sources", but may as well joke around that here.

Oh, it’s a real thing all right

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/01/microsoft-set-to-purchase-activision-blizzard-in-68-7-billion-deal/

Not something the industry needs right now, though at least it won’t hit the PC market too hard, as long as they don’t force UWP.

Console market is gonna be real segmented soon, stuff like this will force Sony’s hand too.

But yeah, maybe SC3 isn’t completely dead.

2 Likes

Well, everybody who worked on Starcraft already left, so doubt it will change anything for this game. But who knows…

69 billion? Giggity.

In all seriousness, though, I’m still trying to process this. Anything to get Kotick out of power, really.

Is it even worth restoring the damage that’s been done over the last 5 years or so? That’s what I’m wondering

I don’t think the whole narrative of “StarCraft is only good if all the OG is there” is appropriate or relevant. I think if they remained (or get re-hired either as consultant or what not) is definitely an asset to the overall development.

I hope this will result in a SC3 game to come. It would be very much a long awaited dream come true for many people (like myself). We all hope for great and greater content.

So here’s to hoping :+1:

2 Likes

Official xbox twitch channel streaming sc2 right now. That’s a good sign for sc2

2 Likes

It wasn’t EA and anything else would be better than blizzard, so I am happy for this.

1 Like

Knowing Microsoft, I’d say it’s a good sign but with a hint of salt.

Blizzard right now is not the Blizz we know years ago, Microsoft buying it and making a new team doesn’t necessary means we’ll get huge quality games.

Probably they are going to finish Overwatch 2 and then think about everything else later.

Greatest news is: because Blizz got brought by Microsoft, we know that the servers won’t shut down anytime soon not just for the Starcraft but Heroes of the Storm and Warcraft

It’s a matter of how they are going to handle it, it’s a lot of games to work with.

Would love to see some more SC2 coop content as a consequence of this buy-out. I can dream :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Masterchief Co-op commander and a new Delta Halo co-op map 2022 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You jest, but I would totally dig a Super Smash Bros. style mode for Sc2 coop. They’re practically on par with Sc series…

UNSC = Terran
Covenant = Protoss
Flood = Zerg
Forerunners = Xel’Naga

I mean, Halo Wars 1 & 2 were actually the RTS versions of the Halo series.

Also neat to see Star Wars and Star Trek mashed in. Why not (as long as we’re on that format)? I’ve also been playing a lot of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. There are enough units and material that should easily cover them for a Commander or 2.

1 Like

Maybe World of Halo is in order…

Imho, the earliest we might see any reasonable update to SC2 is June/July 2023. That’s 1½ years away. The deal will get finalised in July this year - again, at the earliest.

The deal isn’t expected to close until Microsoft’s 2023 fiscal year, which starts on July 1. The two companies will continue to operate separately until then.

So give it 3-6 months for them determine how much effort is going into each of ActiBlizz’s IP and then another 6+ months for something substantial to come out of it. And hope that they determine SC2 is worth the time & effort for them.

I’m surprised no jokes have been made about how SC3 will be an xbox-only game…

1 Like

Well, hope that remains as is… a joke. That would be the one wrong move they could make, if they are to revive the sc franchise.

I’d be surprised if they seriously considered Starcraft in thier strategy. The money is in MMO’s. They would more likely use the skills of Blizzard to make the next subscription based whatever title.