Black screen when alt-tab on Big Sur

During in game fullscreen, my whole screen turns blacks when I try to press “shift+tab” or “command+h” to switch to other programs. I could not switch back to Starcraft 2 again after that and hence I am forced to shut down my Mac.

Hence, will like to check if anyone has a solution to this issue?

4 Likes

Same here. ALT-TAB = black screen and cannot return to MacOS environment nor SC2, necessitating a forced restart. Not even force quit menu will appear.

1 Like

Same here. Hope blizzard will will fix it.

One temporary workaround will be to play the game in windowed (fullscreen) instead of fullscreen mode instead.

However, doing so will get screen flickering once in a while. Not sure if it is due to my graphics card but I do not get this issue in the past.

Same for me. Quite annoying when accidentally ALT-TAB

This also happens to me, seems no answer yet, huh?

Hey, all. This sounds pretty similar to the issue we’ve seen with Heroes (Same engine). The problem is related to the graphics API that our team and apple would have to address.

Could you try the following and see if this works around the issue?

Using windowed mode will work around the issue in the mean time. In the Blizzard App game settings menu (Options > Game Settings), check the Additional command line arguments and enter in: -DisplayMode=0

If this does occur and the screen is black, restarting the mac isn’t necessary, press CMD+M to set it to windowed mode and bring the Heroes of the Storm client back.
(Source)

2 Likes