Best commanders for void rifts?

So what are the best commanders for dealing with void rifts? My goto is usually Han and Horner (strike platforms), and zeratul occasionally, but I’m looking to switch it up for the upcoming mutations. Who else can shut down void rifts?

The top commander is Abathur, hands down. Second place I would say Zeratul. Mengsk would also be pretty good if you can get your ESOs up on that map (depends on map though). And Karax is pretty solid because all he needs is vision to kill void rifts, plus his cannons aren’t bad.

Abathur is best because he comes online fast and can move to any void rifts spawn with Brutalisks.

Kerrigan does a lot of damage to void rifts with her leaping strike and can worm all over the map for mobility but you’ll need defense until 4 mins when she comes online.

Dehaka is decent because of his early presence for the 2:20 rifts but more so because he can clear the map quickly with primal calldowns making rifts easier to access overall.

Depends on the map. I think Fenix is great just due to his strong early game, but he needs a partner that can ramp up and help him or that has strong CDs since Fenix’s army can’t be everywhere at once.

Han and Horner trivialize the mutation if you have a strong ally that can defend you while you ramp up, and get your Strike Fighters deployed.

Raynor and Karax combo can work.

Raynor drops sacrificial Marines on top of the void rifts, Karax snipes them down with Orbital Strikes, rinse and repeat.

Mengsk can be the alternative though you will need to rush the Trooper Drop Pod upgrade.

So basically, Fenix + H&H is the ideal team for the job.

Abathur and Han&Horner. Abathur with Brutalisks’ deep tunnel, HH with strike fighters.

Kerrigan can work with spamming nydus worms. Exitting them wherever the rifts are. Dehaka once you explored the map you can put greater primal wurms anywhere without actual vision. Karax with Raynor by Orbital+scan.

1 Like

If I could play two CO’s at once competently that’s the combo I would choose.

In case anyone is wondering, next week’s mutation - “Timely Reinforcements” - is void rifts and temporal fields on ME.

I would recommend Abathur over Han and Horner, if only because Abathur is easier at defending ships than HnH.

Zagara.
If the first wave of zerglings doesnt kill it.
The one hunderd wave will.

I mean zagara thing is the ability to spend zerglings like marines spend ammo.
The ability to trown near limetless expendable troops towards anything that needs to die is very usefull on a map where you goal is to destroy stuff.
And if all your zerglings die?
No problem you get an entire new army within seconds.
In fact keeping them alive would be more wasteful.

Vorazun time stop is also nice.

karax can just mass bombard the place.

But on general.
Commanders who can mass swarm expenable troops will benifit you on void rift and shard missions.

Strong, expensive and slow are just a waste of time.

There should be no competition with Abby. He has absolutely the most flexibility in completing mission objectives while shutting down rifts at the same time.

The entire game mode of co-op in a single sentence.

2 Likes

Not really. The best commander for void rifts - Abathur - is anything but “mass swarm expendable troops”.

Also the next void rifts mutation is on Miner Evacuation - possibly Zagara’s weakest map.

From personal experiance:
If it isnt mass air, zagara will kill it.
I do agree that Abathur is deadly he doesnt have zagara’s speed and mass number advantage.
It would take him longer to do the same map then Zagara.

You clearly have not seen how fast a good player wins the whole mission with literally just brutalisks.

There are good players in coop?
Jokes aside yes i have(and done so).
Zagara is just faster.
Granted she needs to be level 15 in order to be that good.
But still.

Fun fact: Abathur currently holds the best speedrun records. The records are here: docs dot google dot com/spreadsheets/d/19e94QlfZvXaCcsMLGMXaN5fILDkshbppDb6yIfEwl0s/edit#gid=0

Abathur’s power spike when he gets his ultimate evolutions out is huge, and takes less time to ramp up than Zagara (who still has to macro and research things before she can truly roll over the map).

1 Like

Alright, beat this mission in 12 minutes or less with Zagara, even with an ally, and I will be impressed. Will still be like a sloth compared to Abathur, but it would be quite good anyways.

Impressive gameplay.

It seems i stand corrected.

Looking at the video it is clear i havent.
Most players i encountered are slower or just as fast as me.
I never seen someone play that well.

This is the reality of the game, 95% of players are in one big clump as far as skill level goes, and the remaining 5% are scattered across a skill range 50 times as large. The reason you can massively outpace most people is partially because Zagara is wicked fast at 100% clearing maps, but also because you are probably somewhere in that 5%.

2 Likes