Apple M1 support?

I started this thread, I decided to pay people to test it.

1 Like

I hope you get some resultsā€¦ checked your thread, looks like nobody tried to play ladder?
Iā€™d test and shareā€¦ if I had an M1 Mac.

Following this to see if thereā€™s any official word. StarCraft II would definitely benefit from Apple Silicon native support.

1 Like

lets just follow to see if there is an update, would be nice to run native

My current experience with my M1 MacBook Pro - 8gb ,

I can play at medium settings while in a 1v1 ladder match, but will suffer noticeable frame drops when in the late game 200v200 and most bases taken. Also, the fan will be working full time at this point so the pro definitely has an advantage over the air or Mac mini when it comes to thermals.

I can play at lowest settings and have no performance issues, the fan is essentially off most of the time.

Interestingly, the graphics settings recommend high settings, and the game will start at 30 fps, but will quickly drop to below 20 when the mid game is reached.

Hope we see some better optimization with rosetta or native support.

*** Also to note Iā€™m using the 24 inch LG ultra fine 4k display via thunderbolt, and Iā€™m running the game at 1080p

Some apps have amazing performance on the new M1, even through Rosetta, sadly SC2 is not one of them :(.

I really hope we get native support or that the new M1X manages to make up for it. SC2 is the only game I play on my Mac and it runs really well on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro with a dedicated graphics card, but I will need to upgrade soon.

It would be really cool from Blizzard to provide a native version if itā€™s not too much work. They should have already some experience in porting the other games.

1 Like

lucky youā€¦ some of us still waiting for overwatch to come to the Mac on the first place lol

Me too. Also want to bump this thread.

So I but the bullet and bought an M1 air 16GB with the 7 GPU cores.
Installed and ran no problems
Ladder: Native resolution, tested on low and medium settings, both get 82-92fps, but thatā€™s not the full story, there are drops to 4fps, and sometimes I had issues scrolling the map.

Over and above that, the M1 is fast, but itā€™s not life-changing-living-up-to-the-hype fast. I get the exact same butter smooth performance with rapid frame drops when browsing and running tons of open tabs, something which my 7-year-old MBP15 deals with fine, also with 16GB memory but with a dedicated GPU.

Regards,

Rudolf

Rudolf, Iā€™m sorry if I sound ignorant ā€“ I am, in this area! ā€“ but hopefully you can help me out with an answer? When you say an M1 do you mean the Apple M1 mini? Iā€™m looking to buy one of those to play Starcraft II and L4D: The Last Stand as my 2017ā€™s desktop Mac 's video card is not up to snuff, but Blizzardā€™s tech support canā€™t tell me if the M1 miniā€™s video card will handle Starcraft II? So do you know if it can, and if so, if this is the machine you bought, can you be more specific as to the specs? Youā€™re saying you bought a 16GB but the two in the Apple Store both have 8GB - did you pay more to have the extra installed? They also both have 8 GPU< and youā€™re saying 7? Any help would be appreciated!

My M1 runs fine with SC2, just turn the graphics down. I canā€™t tell a difference in performance when compared to my 2018 MBP.

Just want to add my voice to this thread. My 2013 iMac is no longer MacOS upgradable, so Iā€™m looking at the M1 iPad-looking iMac.

Want to add myself to this as wellā€¦

I have a late 2015 27" iMac Radeon M395X, runs SC2 on Ultra at 1080p 60+ fps generally, a few dips now and again during intense explosions and such.

My new M1 Mac Mini 16GB just canā€™t measure up (~20 fps at Ultra, have to go to Medium to get 60 fps). Such a disappointment considering how old the iMac is.

Hereā€™s hoping that Blizzard updates their older titles for M1. They have given us M1-native WoW clients and Classic, at least, runs very nicely on my humble 8GB M1 Mini. Starcraft II is OK if settings are dialed down, but who wants to sacrifice visual quality? Iā€™m sure a native port would run fantastically.

Oh please, tell me about it. You wouldā€™ve thought that Blizzard tracks what kind of system specs you are using to play their games. I was one of those Overwatch beta testers that never got to play Overwatch. And weā€™re already talking about Overwatch 2 nowadays. LoL

I wouldnā€™t even bother with hopium anymore haha. Look at Diablo 2R, no Mac support, can you imagine that haha. Though with all that has happened with its servers and player data issues, I guess I should be thankful and I saved a couple of bucks.

1 Like

Not sure if you are interested in the new M1 Pro feedback, but mine should be coming in the next few weeks and wouldnt mind doing some testing for you if you need it.

Also commenting to throw my support behind M1 Apple Silicone native games. (OW, SC2, D3, etcā€¦)

Hi,
SC2 ist still my favourite game. After 10 years on my iMac I want to buy me a new iMac.
In this context I have the question: Should I buy an Intel or a M1 iMac?
I prefer an iMac that support SC2 native, so today an Intel iMac. But I want to look in the future and I would be angry if blizzard will support SC2 on the M1 iMac native in a few months. So I have the Question.

Will Blizzard Support Apple M1 native and when?

Greetings!

A native port would sure be more eco-friendly. Come on Blizzard, think about the environment!

1 Like

Please Blizzard, consider making an M1 compatible version :pray:, I believe it should improve performance significantly. I have a MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro processor, and the game runs much slower than comparatively-specced PCs. I even have to run the game in Low settings @ 1440p so it gets to 60+ fps. Anything higher than Low is basically unplayable for Ranked matches, given that it quickly dips below 45 fps after some buildings are made. Hopefully you can do it in the near future. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™d also love to see an M1 native version (Iā€™d pay for it too!) but wanted to let folks know that it runs pretty well on Mac Studio M1 Max 64 GB. I discovered (via MaxTech on YouTube) that setting Shaders to ā€˜Mediumā€™ does wonders for the FPS. I had it on ā€˜Highā€™ and FPS were at best around 30; turning it to ā€˜Mediumā€™ more than doubles it.

Now, I will say that itā€™s not as good as my Late 2015 iMac in some areas where I had most settings set at ā€˜Highā€™ and the in-game cutscenes played much better (M1 drops to 10-15 or so)