Anyone think we will get a new commander for Blizcon?

So if I don’t need the map to play it, why should I ever pay for it?

Yeah, that’s exactly what we need to do…give Blizzard a reason to scrounge more money from players…:roll_eyes:

They would have made the decision to release maps for free on the basis that they can make up for it with other SC2 in-game purchases like warchests, skins, announcers and new commanders.

Incentives gives players reason to keep playing. Suddenly adding prices on something that’s always been free gives players a reason to quit.

None of them are. They are questions that need to be answered. If the numbers don’t add up or if they can’t make a convincing case for it then it’s likely going to be a futile exercise.

Heading back to something related to BlizzCon, the schedule and map are out:

Schedule:

Floor Map:

SC demos lumped in with other games in Hall E

SC tournament in the Arena, all on day 1

Only 1 scheduled panel - Pylon Show Live on day 2. I suppose that’s when they talk about new co-op content, if there is any or if they even bother with it.

Because you are not everyone.

It is clear from this discussion (as it comes up every time) that some are willing to buy it.

I don’t see why (those against it) reaping benefit without paying are so hardline against it.

It’s like if you got to play a commander you didn’t pay for every once in awhile because of these hypothetical situations:

1. The person you partied up with has it (and allowed you to choose it).
  2. Random player matched allow you to also random-select one of his commanders that you didn’t pay for.

Why would any of these be a reason to not implement?

2 Likes

Honestly, I would like new maps for Co-op rather than commanders. I know there’s evidence that a Co-op version of Sky Shield is under development. I think there should be another RTC contest so players can submit ideas.

Heck, even if a map has a similar premise to one that already exists (e.g. defend a central objective for 25 minutes, aka. Temple of the Past), I think a fresh map will be welcomed.

2 Likes

Does Joeray’s Bar serve actual alcoholic drinks?

Dunno if Lost Vikings is the WoL version, or the SNES version, but I should try to check out the latter. I recall Rock 'N Roll Racing was pretty fun. Even got a NESter comic in Nintendo Power

You wouldn’t get to choose it… if I want to play P+Parcel i can select it, and there is a ~5% chance of getting it on Random

on the other hand for a Paid map, I would have to select Random and if only 10% of players had the map, i would only have a 0.5% chance of getting it (unless they are all selecting the map)

You could probably throw in a (time limited) exp bonus for playing on the maps if you paid for them as an incentive.

It did last year, but I don’t think they’ll do that for SC again, they rotate their alcohol in regards to the franchise it’s focused on. Though I do hope they serve beer this year too.

It’s probably the PC version, and it’s almost certainly the real game, they are including other classic games like Blackthorne after all.

1 Like

Sounds like another LL which I hate personally, lol. I would love to see The Evacuation mission instead, where the first two waves of convoys are single trucks and in later waves they they separate, go different routs simultaneously and players actually have to cooperate to protect them.

Im hyped for Tosh for years anyway, so I secretly hope for him :smiley:

Actually, it was more like a version of Temple of the Past, except that there were three critical points of the station (Warp Drive, Primary Kernel, and the Core Matrix) you had to defend for a certain amount of time before the orbital defenses would come online and you would seemingly win the mission. If any of the three critical systems were destroyed, the station would crash into the planet below and you would lose, requiring you to defend multiple crucial locations.

Depending on how the station layout and where the critical systems were located in comparison to enemy spawn locations and the player base, the mission would be a great deal different than TotP.

Another vote for more maps rather than new commander.

Id rather maps stayed free, but if that means we only get ones every 2 years…id be ok with paying.
I like the suggestion that if a person does not buy it they can still pair with somebody on random that does have it.

Means que times wont be affected, and might just entice somebody to buy it after having played it.

4 Likes

Overwatch Mei for new commander! China libertat!

Given how things have been in the 3 years I’ve been playing Coop, I don’t mind giving Blizzard more money. $10 for a CO bundle, and $10 to $25 per Warchest (I do it for the XP boosts) is actually quite reasonable. If you don’t care about XP boosts, then it’s $5 per commander.

Compared to how freemium on mobile and certain PC/console games… all the better.

Ever think that a new map is an incentive to keep playing? There are players who are THAT price averse that they ask about any sales… for commanders that are only $5 apiece. That’s $70 for the rest of them, barring any sales/promos they were able to take advantage of (e.g. Twitch Prime deal for Abathur, Swann, Vorazun; Nova and Stukov were $2.50 each for a short time; COs were bundled with campaign purchases?). Free stuff wouldn’t get those folks to spend extra money on cosmetics anyways.

1 Like

Bit of a dangerous path to be on; it may well encourage them to look for other ways to bleed more money from players. At worst, low prices for small things acts as the gateway drug.

What do you think a typical gamer is going to be more receptive to - 1 free map and 1 commander for $5 total or 1 map and 1 commander for $10 total?

My point is that gamers are always looking for bang for the buck, amongst other things. They are more supportive of developers who are not looking to screw gamers through their wallets.

You want to throw money at these companies, that’s your choice but not everyone has that luxury and are in no mood to reward greedy behavior.

Reputation for giving a crap what the gamers want is at a big premium in today’s gaming climate.

3 Likes

With all the cheap bargain here, I’m really worried for this game. No wonder Blizzard wants to move on to mobile games so badly.

The annual revenues of some top 10 mobile games in 2018 are from $66 millions to $742 millions. Those games have no esports, no tournaments, no sponsors, all the money is just from selling stuff in game.

Just thinking about it, if Blizzard makes 2 commanders each year. How many people must buy to have the same annual revenue as those mobile games?

3 Likes

Perhaps… Mobile games are mainly trash, though. We all remember what happend last year, when Diablo Immortal was announced. I dont thik Blizzard will have grat sucess with this mobile trend in future. I belive majority of Blizz fans require more complex stuff, than obile games. And people who play mobile games will hardly prefer Blizz product over other games. Why should they? maybe Im wrong, but this could backfire really badly for Blizz.

4 Likes

Exactly, the quality of those mobile games is nowhere close to Blizzard’s games, graphic, music, story, game mechanics, etc… Starcraft 2 is way superior to them. But sadly, SC2 can’t make as much money as they do. SC2 costs much more money to make, but sells much less money. What is the solution for Blizzard now?

4 Likes

Id be surprised if we do get a new CO. Pleasantly surprised. But I am not expecting it.

If I was to take shots in the dark, Id guess at:

Diablo 4 (they need to placate the Diablo fans after last time…)
Overwatch 2

And probably some WoWo stuff…, to be honest be surprised if SC2 gets more than passing mentions at this stage.

1 Like

Both of these assume such projects are actually in the works. They can’t announce products they aren’t making, that would be an even worse scandal than not accounting anything.

There’s been an “Unannounced Diablo Project” in existence for over 3 years. Job hires included Game Director, Executive Producer and various engineers.

Many believe this is Diablo 4.

2 Likes