Any other games like Starcraft?

Black Friday has rolled out. Love this game still, but wouldn’t mind playing some other similar RTS games.

You won’t find any other “RTS” games with such an extreme emphasis on APM spam. 99.9% of RTS games will be slower paced than SC2 and most SC2 players can’t stand them because they aren’t fans of SC2 for the strategy but for the fast paced action. If you want an RTS game that focusses more on the strategical elements, there are a million of them: league, dota, warcraft 3, sins of a solar empire, age of empires, etc.

Honestly SC2 should be put into its own category called “AEM” aka “Action, Endurance & Multitasking”.

3 Likes

Check out “Dawn Of War 1 or Dawn of War 2” both great games, & have a massive mod community that pumps out massive amounts of content constantly such as new units, new maps, updates graphics etc, etc. I bet they really cheap on steam atm. Also Homeworld & Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak are really good too & they are 95% off on Steam atm.

1 Like

why only PC?

There are tons of good Nintendo games. There’s a bunch of LoZ to play.

A Link to the Past is fun but a hard game. Hardest zelda game I ever played since the first one.

No.
Nothing is even close.

Why else do you think we still play this game

Aoe2 is still super fun. I don’t like team games though because they can take hours…

Because its a good game?

aoe 3 is on sale and criminally underated, plays kinda like wol/wc3

• you have a hero/explorer at the start of the game that scouts and tanks
  • eco is mostly 1 base in 1v1
  • battles slower
  • very high skill ceiling
  • civs have more differences than aoe2/4

Purple war is new, early access, copy of wc3 and sc. If they improve the game and more people play it so ladder can be alive I think would be fun.

1 Like

Well… Starcraft 2 have plenty of issues, is abandoned by devs and have extremely toxic community.

However, it have a lot of thrilling moments that makes your blood saturated with adrenaline and this adrenaline rush is what we play this game for.

1 Like

I could recomend Imortal gates of Pyre.

3 Likes

Also wanted to add there are 3 really good RTS games on the horizon if you didn’t know about… Tempest Rising, Homeworld 3 & of course the one with the most hype is Stormgate.

Command & Conquer 2020 remaster is the best RTS definitely. I can’t believe nobody mentioned that yet. And Duke is in top 20 on the leaderboards for 10 seasons already. All hail Duke! All hail no ultralisks game!

The elephant in the room is that the reason why you can’t find another RTS game like SC2 is because SC2 isn’t RTS to begin with. It cracks me up. The knots people will tie themselves into to avoid admitting something obvious is just hilarious. SC2 is not RTS, it’s a multitasking/endurance game with a minor strategical element. You can’t have strategy on the timescales of SC2. SC2 decisions are pre-memorized: playing SC2 is more like playing the piano than anything. There is no way you can have these galaxy-brain strategical moves in a game that forces you to make a move in 0.1 seconds. It’s just not possible. The idea that strategy is relevant here is so laughably absurd it’s like something a drunkard would say with his eyes crossed right before he passes out on the floor: “Yeah, man, SC2 is, like, a strategy game.” :dizzy_face:

SC2 isn’t an RTS game, and that’s why you can’t find RTS games like SC2.

:exploding_head:

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am checking out all the games mentioned here.

The elephant in the room is that the reason why you can’t find another RTS game like SC2 is because SC2 isn’t RTS to begin with. It cracks me up. The knots people will tie themselves into to avoid admitting something obvious is just hilarious. SC2 is not RTS, it’s a multitasking/endurance game with a minor strategical element. You can’t have strategy on the timescales of SC2. SC2 decisions are pre-memorized: playing SC2 is more like playing the piano than anything. There is no way you can have these galaxy-brain strategical moves in a game that forces you to make a move in 0.1 seconds. It’s just not possible. The idea that strategy is relevant here is so laughably absurd it’s like something a drunkard would say with his eyes crossed right before he passes out on the floor: “Yeah, man, SC2 is, like, a strategy game.” :dizzy_face:

SC2 isn’t an RTS game, and that’s why you can’t find RTS games like SC2.

What would be the categorical name for a game like SC2?

Do not pay attention to his crap. In any of the mentioned games, Warcraft 3, Company of Heroes, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires, Stellaris, Cossacks and so on, players would still try to beat you with their speed and micro. Company of Heroes for example has even more micro than SC2.

3 Likes