Advice as a Terran (Replay included)

Hi i’m struggling as Terran on Platinum Rank 1-5 with Zergs doing these builds of Roach Hydra (usually moving to Ultra BL).

I would like some advice and some feedback on what i’m doing wrong.

https://drop.sc/replay/11639591

If i see roach hydra should i focus on tanks instead of WM ? and for bane-ling muta widow ?

Thank you!

So, lets start with the very early build - just small improvement. You want to start your orbital command as soon as possible and you want to have continuous SCV production. Do not deny these things. So do it like this - depot -> barracks -> gas (send scvs to it immediatelly after it is finished) -> orbital -> CC -> second depot.
You queued up second CC too early. However, this is just a detail that certainly did not cost you the game.

The reason you lost the game is not that you made widow mines instead of tanks, but the fact that your macro mechanics were far worse than your opponent’s.

• You need to fill holes in the SCV production. Never stop producing SCVs until you have around 75 (you can hover over the supply to see actual number). Even if you are oversaturated, you will transfer them as your next base lands. How to improve in that? Keep selecting your orbitals every few seconds and ensuring that there are two dots at each one - one SCV building and one queued. You can do this without looking at your base, it is easy and after some time you will do that quickly and automatically.
  • You need to get rid of the supply block. Have one SCV continually building supply depots, adding a few extra later.
  • Around 7 minute mark your macro completely broke. You have 1000 minerals stacked. You are supply blocked. You do not have a third base. You are not producing SCVs anymore, you have to many units queued up in your buildings, you are esentially doing nothing. This is the reason you lost the game eventually.
    After you realise that you are over minute supply blocked, you only make one depo? You cannot expect this is enough.
  • 7:30 - 1800 minerals stacked. Instead of fixing your completely broken economy, you move out with your units and focus on that instead. Another thing that lost you the game. Once you realize that your bank grows too much that you cannot handle it, just build… Add 3 supply depots, 4 barracks, next CC’s a few missile turrets… And bank is gone. Instead, you fully queued your barracks that were not producing anyways because of supply block. Do not care about harrasement or drops, focus on your economy and keep it healthy and growing. Once you handle this, you can focus on multipronged harrasement, otherwise it will damage more you than your oponnent.
  • Expand more quickly, your third was too late. The only reason you deny your third for such a long time is that you are either allining or defending an allin. You did not do any of these, so why would you not invest into economy? If you are not feeling comfortable, make a few tanks.
  • At 8:20 you attack. Compare your supply and your opponent’s supply. That is because your enemy was better at the things I mentioned above. And your drop or hellion harrasement… see? It does not matter. Economy is far more important.
  • If you build stuff, use it. Why would you build two ebays that early, then not research anything for some time and eventually cancel research after you finally started it? You could not even build these medivacs because of supply block.

Open up an custom game against very easy A.I and focus only on macroing and maxing out in supply. You should hit 200/200 around 9 minute mark. I made examples for you:

• Mech - h ttp://sc2replaystats.com/replay/11649148
  • Bio (I do not play bio, but tried that as well) - h ttp://sc2replaystats.com/replay/11649285

Even though I did not macro super perfectly without any mistake, the difference between that and your game is significant.

Make sure to carefully check the replay and find the power of economy. As you can see, at that 9 minute mark I have 4 bases mining, 2-2 upgrades on the way (almost finished for bio), good supply of powerful army, handful of production facilities and quickly growing bank for transition. Now imagine you had this supply in your game - you would just a-move to win, maybe even without sieging. You were not disturbed during the game same as I was not during that example - so same conditions, it is possible. Practice that carefully.
GL HF!

3 Likes

Thaaaank you very much for all of this!

I came from playing zerg almost all my life, the idea of making my supply with my army production instead of clicking and building is still a bad habit!

Again, thx a lot for the feedback! Gonna check all the stuff u gave me!

Thanks a

Glad u appreciate that :slight_smile:
Now I see where the problem comes from - as zerg you are probably not used to making a lot of buildings. When i try zerg I have problems with injecting/creep spreading and deciding whether to make drones or units… The mechanics are too different and getting the right habits takes a lot of practice. That is the reason I recommend to sometimes practice against very easy A.I, so you are not disturbed and can focus only on the production.

Also, never forget to throw mules consistently throughout the game! Without them you will fall behind in economy by default, since zerg spawns multiple drones at once and protoss has chronoboost. And you have to use SCVs to build a lot of stuff, which cripples your mining a lot as well.

My best advice is to play Raynor in COOP a bit if you struggle a lot.
Just marine/marauder/medivac/tank and a lot of orbitals and barracks.
Get used to build workers constantly (one control groups), check upgrades (techlabs, engeneering bays, armory on 1-2 control groups or even the same control group as your orbitals as a lot of terrans do) and split your army as it gets too big (“add to control group and take away units” - similar to ling/bane were you want your banes on a seperate control group or split your ling/bane or ling/bane/hydra army to defend multiple drops).

WM are better, tanks are too slow.