Achievement "For a Few Swarms more"

Hi

I tried to block the entrances with dark templar and canons but the zerg overrun me at around 1,3 bill. zerg. How should I do this to 2,3 bill zerg!?

You went to Shakuras right after 3 first missions? And playing campaign through normally rather than replaying via Master Archives? Naturally most achievements are easier to do by going to any missions as late as possible to have as much tech as possible, and also in case of HOTS and LOTV, by completing the campaign first and then replaying missions via Master Archives, when you do have maximum tech for each mission (max in the sense of most possible tech for each mission).

The Anniversary achievement for Last Stand should be possible with lesser tech at least on Normal difficulty though. I’d advice to take expansion and fully saturate mining in both bases ASAP to have max income. Then just fill all entrances (and ultimately the entire arena!) with Khaydarin monolith supertowers supported by shield batteries and have zealots in the front to tank. DTs work well too up until zerg starts sending overseers which detect DTs. In the back entrance Khaydarins + dragoons do pretty well against flying enemies.

At least on higher difficulties (I mostly play on Brutal), every time hybrid destroyers (the ones with ranged attack) come they are followed by baneling packs - so when seeing destroyers be ready to kill those banes with Spear of Adun orbital attacks as well as you can, as they wreck your stationary defenses quickly. At first there are very few banes though, but they come in greater numbers further you play.

If you really face trouble getting to 2.3 billion, you might wanna consider completing the campaign first and the replaying Last Stand via Master Archives. Then you can have higher tech like solar lance for Spear of Adun and purifier zealots (centurions) which are super tanky to keep the attack waves at the door while your Khaydarin monoliths wreck them.

At any rate, one way to find solutions to any missions/achievements is to look for walkthrough guides on youtube. Ones for Anniversary achievements might be uploaded these days.

1 Like

This is key. I recommend having solar lance on your spear of adun, but orbital strikes will do.
I found I could get to about 1.8b, and then would suddenly get completely overrun, and the banes where the cause.

I reloaded a save, and made sure to use spear to kill banes.
They come on all 3 ground lanes at the same time.
I found even on normal, as you close in on 2.3b, banes come pretty much as soon as your cooldown for the spear is up. So I got in the habit of as soon as orbital strike (I messed up and picked wrong :slight_smile: ) I just hit it (which pauses game) then look to each entrance and sure enough another bane wave. The earlier you hit them, the more likely they are still tightly clumped.

Indeed! Solar lance is obviously WAY better than orbital strike, but I just made an educated guess that Lhex may not have solar lance yet (judging from being at Last Stand this fast after For Aiur - person’s previous post). :slightly_smiling_face:

Referring to your mentioning about cooldown, I’ve noticed the time interval between bane packs gets shorter and shorter as the mission continues, so ultimately one has no choice but to allow some bane packs through without “solar lancing” them. And that’s when Khaydarin lines start going BOOM… :smile:

My personal record is 2.452 billion on Brutal difficulty but I’m sure there are folks who have got further.

One trick that can help hold that little bit longer, you can wall off each entrance with overcharged nexuses. Turns out that those 2k hp buildings are worth the dps cost of not having cannons.

Here’s a great video that shows a strat that works on Brutal, so it will def work on Normal or Hard as well. There’s lots of good tips through out as well. At the 23:45 mark, he talks about the Baneling attacks.

It’s from before the 10th anniversary, but it’s 100% applicable.

3 Likes