About "Solitaire" on Cutthroat and killing Orlan's base directly

So I’m doing the campaigns on Hard on NA (done WoL on Asia on Normal). When doing the Cutthroat mission, I figured I’ll go for all the achievements in one run. So I didn’t build SCV’s, killed all of Orlan’s CC’s and then massed army with the resources I gathered. Managed to kill Orlan’s base with heavy casualties. I got the “I’ll do it myself” achievement (and “Minesweeper”) but not “Solitaire”. Had to redo the mission from mission archives to then get Solitaire. (Didn’t have mules either.)

I think both achievements should have been achieved if killing Orlan’s base and without making any additional SCV’s. I get that it’s “don’t make SCV’s until you win Han’s contract” to get Solitaire but clearly this is one step further (and harder).

Is this a bug or is it meant to be this way?

1 Like

If you got I’ll do it myself you could not have gotten Solitaire, it’s logical.
Solitaire requires you to hire Han without building more SCVs, but I’ll do it myself being rewarded means you destroyed Orlan base without hiring Han at all.
That’s how I understand it.

2 Likes

This seems correct. Part of the triggering condition requires you to get Han’s contract.

2 Likes

Indeed. The trigger that grants the Solitaire achievement resides in “Stage 2” of the mission, which begins when you successfully hire Mira. So if you never do hire Mira, the mission never transitions to stage 2 and the achievement trigger doesn’t run.

2 Likes

Thanks, all. Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

Although, I do like that some of the 10th Anniv achievements are mutually exclusive with the previous one’s. Eg. In Dig, getting “20 enemy kills with the laser” vs “don’t kill any enemies or structures with the laser”. Some missions need to be done twice, if not done before, but that’s okay.

1 Like

Agreed. And it’s not all that bad due to the archives. For example, finish The Dig doing one of the chieves, then pop right back in via the archives and do the other.

Yup, that’s how I’m doing it - from the archives. And immediately after the first run since the mission is still fresh.