A wasted opportunity of not having more mission packs?

The “no new paid content” announcement back on Oct. 2020 continues to reverberate, but still, one could imagine none of the less…

It would’ve been nice to have 2 additional campaigns, beyond Nova. If nothing else, to mimic what we had in Sc1…
Terran campaign - Marine
Zerg campaign - Hydralisk
Protoss campaign - Zealot

… and BW…
Terran - Admiral Gerald DuGalle
Protoss - Artanis
Zerg - Infested Kerrigan

With Sc2, we have Nova for Terran. IIRC, they were pleased with its sales, but decided to stop there for whatever reasons. I guess they could’ve did another set of mission packs for Zerg and Protoss, making the # of campaigns 2 per race for Sc2

For Zerg, either Stukov or Niadra.

For Protoss, perhaps Alarak, covering Tal’Darim in more detail (perhaps going back to when they still served Amon?). Disclaimer that even though I saw some of the gameplay, and somewhat more of the cutscenes on YouTube, I have yet to finish the campaigns after WoL (I’m only halfway through HotS as of this post).

4 Likes

They stopped because coop missions tapped the same resources and were far more successful and popular.

3 Likes

Starcraft 2 lost it’s development team.

A friend of mine says go sit on a pinecone.

Starcraft 2 has been so abandoned that stimpacks can’t even be permanently sold on the store, Activision (Blizzard) can’t afford to make more money.

1 Like

I’m aware that Sc2 team left (they’re now at Frost Giant, and reportedly working on some snazzy new RTS), but the premise of the thread goes despite that fact.

1 Like

Actiblizz cant understand why u would make anything for a 10 year old game, really it doesnt fit in their head. They are blind, they cant see that having an old and dedicated fan base is incredible valuable for ur brand, specially because this old people would buy lots of merc if they would be treated how they are supposed to, like Star Wars fans of the first triology. If I were them I would keep bringing new content all for free and switch the market model to all sorts of merc, removing all microtransactions from the game.

2 Likes

That’s not the only opportunity that was wasted. Commanders, maps, warchests…

True, but we already have other threads discussing these. And It is related, as Nova from Coop ended up drawing material from her campaign.

ADDITION:
I guess “in a happier time”, we could’ve had Niadra mission packs and her CO in Coop. Alarak is already a CO in Coop, whereas Selendis was already in the LotV campaign, so I’m not sure who we could’ve gotten on the Protoss side that was both not already in a campaign.

We know a cat who can really do the cool jerk!
We know a cat who can really do the cool jerk!
Well, this cat they’re talkin’ about, I wonder who could it be ???
'Cause I know that I’m the heaviest cat
The heaviest cat you ever did see!

When they see me walkin’ down the street, (Hey, hey, hey.)
When the fellas want to speak, (Hey, hey, hey.)
On their faces, they wear a silly smirk
'Cause they know I’m the king of a cool jerk. Whoooo!!!

1 Like

I would easily pay for mission packs with Tychus Findlay. I could see a min-prequel to the Terran campaign where Tychus first gets out and is hunting down Raynor’s location. His character is so hilarious to listen to.

1 Like

Speculation:
Maybe they got tired of people talking smack about their campaigns, they said "Here’s the Custom Campaign and the editor. Do it yourself.