9-hour Challenge on Void Thrashing

No worries :+1: :blush:

Wow, that’s crazy. So doing this with a mutation is easier than without :rofl:

You mean ordinary mission, right?

It’s clear in the vid that the Thrasher and the Roaches are regenerating their Shields and Health, respectively, between each attack. So definitely would work for 9 hours, even AFK. Well done. :clap:

Added it as a solution in the OP.

2 Likes

If we add mutators to the challenge to make it doable (lol), then a lot more options start opening up. One is based on my idea above:

Eminent Domain with Karax and many many Shield Batteries. Lay down a bunch of Shield Batts and Pylons near the Thrasher. Let the enemy kill them, thereby giving them to the enemy/Amon, which should then regen the thrasher’s shields. Lay down a single photon canon and shield batts for yourself.

Need to check if the canon’s DPS (20/1.25 = 16) is less than a shield battery’s shield-charging per second. If it’s not, then you can’t AFK and need to redirect the canon to attack something else while some low-dps unit attacks the thrasher. Or just use a probe to attack the thrasher and place other units nearby to aggro it, like in Dehakaburger’s solution above; while the now-enemy shield batts charge the thrasher’s shields.

And if there are enough shield batts, their own energy depletion should not be a problem.

Make sure to not get the attack speed upgrade (Optimized Ordnance) for canons and monoliths. The Rapid Recharging upgrade might help both the Thrasher and the Canon stay alive with fewer shield gens.

This might also work more easily by adding Diffusion to the mix. A canon’s 16 DPS spread around 10 nearby units/struct should be enough to let the shield batts work their magic on the thrasher between canon shots.

lol what kind of madman would try that, live ive done so many crazy things in co-op at this point, but extending void thrashing like at all never came to mind, but I like it tho

1 Like

Necro’ing this thread with good reason.

Looks like it.

CtG’s attempt was also with the Life Leech mutator. Used Stettman’s drone to attack the void thrasher, with a few nearby for bait and the Green Zone (hugs?) to heal up the drones fully between thrasher attacks. The thrasher was also healing up via Life Leech; so that part was AFK and 9hrs-able.

The two spawn points had to be camped for attack waves and to an extent, units had to be replaced on occasion. This went for 3hrs 29mins, and they (with aommaster as HH) decided to end it after 69 attack waves. GG!

1 Like

IIRC Shieldguards can actually reflect Thrasher’s projectiles (automatically even when those are flying by) but I’m not sure if reflected projectiles damage Thrasher (I have seen it by chance on Temple’s map, and when I came to kill a Thrasher it wasn’t damaged, but maybe it just regenerated shield or something). But at the very least, you can probably use it to allow a time window when Thrasher is not being attacked for a period needed for his first projectile to reach Shieldguards and then fly back, which I think is long enough for his shield regen to heal a lot of damage.

Edit: lol, just realized this was several month old discussion.

So this challenge is impossible under non-mutation conditions. At least we have an answer now.

Not at all. It’s just the nature of the challenge is a stupid one.

Any “go as long as you can” type of challenge “expects” the player(s) to be present the whole time. The reality of it is that this is often not the case.

People got things to do other than an extremely repetitive motion of x action - in this case aggro’ing a single Thrasher.

You can clear the entire map, camp both spawns, and then leave one Thrasher to aggro-indefinitely. You don’t even have to actually attack said Thrasher, just enough of the ‘action intent’ to cause every death circle cycle continuously. However, what sane human being will want to babysit this for 1, 2, or 9hours? That’s why to make it easier (in this case) mutations are “abused”.

If you watched the video to the end, he ended it cuz he’s bored.

1 Like

Incorrect. See :arrow_double_down:

People were going for mutation abuse because anything that’s attacking the thrasher long enough will kill it. Even workers. Life leech is there to let the thrasher replenish its health/shields.

But you knew this already :arrow_double_down:

:arrow_double_down:

Lol, make up your mind :wink:

Correct, you just didn’t read my post carefully.

The action to attack must be close enough within aggro range AND lasting long enough to trigger death circle.

This action has a cooldown on Thrasher that prevent it from using its bombarding attack (ie. either bombard or death circle). So the player has to babysit like an idiot, continuously aggro’ing in this manner. Aka, never reaching the Thrasher with an attack but also never fall behind so the Thrasher attacks Sgt. Hammers.

This action sequence seem easy but harder to do so in prolonged 2-9hour game. I believe CtG tried this initially but couldn’t find an optimal way (including using swarm hosts rallied). This is all in an attempt to “not having to babysit and micro for 9 hours non-stop”.

On the subject of impossibility, this challenge simply isn’t one. It is just a stupid one that requires this simply yet repetitive sequence a few times a minute for 9 hours. For a video that goes on 9 hours that’ll likely not be viewed that long, I wouldn’t fault anyone for doing what he did (by ending early).

Cool thought experiment to know and understand how it can be done, thus quite possible. Stupid in execution. Theoretical vs practical. Not exactly hard to understand. I’m not sure why you need to be so nitpicky about it.

You know, like it’s cool to think about throat punching people but stupid to do it in most cases. Ya get?

Wait…let me see if I understood that - are you saying that if I bring a melee unit near the Thrasher and issue it an attack command on the thrasher but pull it away before it actually attacks/damages the thrasher, the thrasher will get aggro’d on to it? Without actually being hit by that unit?
That’s pretty interesting.

What I was aware of previously, was that if an attack is timed correctly, then when the thrasher is doing its “attack the fortress animation”, it will get interrupted and do at least one circle attack sequence on that unit, before returning to attack the fortress - and then possibly rinse and repeat (tediously).

I agree and realised that when I posted the challenge - since I’d put the suggested method in the challenge - so doing it for just 45 mins was adequate, imho, to prove that it could be done for 9hrs, without actually doing it for that long. (Let’s just agree to not discuss this aspect of the challenge any further.)

Yes, but it takes so much micro. My understanding of the Thrashers on VT is that it switches fairly quickly. So to perfectly do this repetitively for 9 hour is not only taxing physically but mentally. So that’s why I’d categorize it on “stupid” :stuck_out_tongue:. That short time frame need to be hit every time (if we don’t use Life Leech abuse).

I mean all the thumbs for CtG trying this at all lol. I think if they wanted to maybe do the set-up then leave-it style. I would have recommended a Protoss ground composition like Robo. Then using Abathur’s toxic nests. Once the army is biomass’d to full at 200/200, Guardians and Swarm Hosts should be able to make good work on any future waves at each of the spawn locations. You’ll likely still need Stetmann’s Stetelites for the same Life Leech abuse tactic (not to mention its synergy to keep any of the camping units alive).

We can see in the video above, the player had to actively deal with the waves (and still took damage/losses) I think between the HEAL zone, biomass leech against non-air enemies, and toxic nest camping warping protoss, this “loss” can be entirely prevented if not largely mitigated. A large portion of the game can be left “unmanned”. Of course, just my theoretical strategy to reach 9 hours.

Why would one want to spend 9 hours on void thrashing ?

1 Like

Same reason as climbing Mt Everest (with less chance of dying)

2 Likes

LOL, gave me a chuckle, but I’d have to disagree by a long shot :stuck_out_tongue:.

views­ ­ ­ ­

2 Likes

not Science?

Like seeing how strong Zeratul is with 108? fragments. Or how well Karax P1 can hold on DoN? Or what it’s like to have ~200 supply of P3 Abby’s UE’s? Or what it’s like to extend the only un-timed mission which had previously never been extended?

Pity.

I don’t know Youtube, but do they really allow 9 hours videos? :innocent:

I think there are many 10 hour long videos.

1 Like

I did some tests.

I have not been able to aggro the thrasher without damaging it. Maybe it’s possible to do it by issuing an attack command an then cancelling the attack at the right millisecond, but even if it is, that seems like an impossible task to keep doing consistently for longer period, not to mention for 9 hrs.

You can attack it by worker and stop attacking after 1 hit, but you need to start attacking again within ~ 7 seconds (=before it starts regenerating shields), otherwise it attacks the Fortress.

Neither disruption web nor disabling cloud prevent the attack, however, it is possible to Stasis the Thrasher. And with Stasis Calibration it’s possible to reapply stasis before it ends, making it possible to trap the thrasher indefinitely. You need to reapply the stasis every 15 seconds, which is quite tiresome.

But you don’t need a mutation :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Could probably pull some Medics over from an attack wave, from there Fenix P2 Disruptors are even lower dps than a worker (a spicy 2.57). Slightly more health too, paired with a Conservator out of Thrasher range and they’d do just fine with a Karax or Stetmann partner.