4v4 isnt fun or interesting

In 3v3 and 4v4 we have a few problems in our current meta:

• The major and most frustrating problem is the matchmaking, once you get to 4.1~4.3k mmr as solo queue you start getting platinum allies vs top master players going full premade smurfing and if you lose, you lose 30 mmr, and if you win, you get 1 or 2 mmr. As a consequence, people keep doing placement matches over and over because it is the best way to avoid that problem;
  • Because of free to play, people abuse the placements like I said above and this killed the meaning of leagues in teams, you play vs. people on Gold League that are in reality Master players, creating huge imbalances and frustration for low level players due to playing smurfs every game on low leagues;
  • LotV economy made the games too much snowballish;
  • Maps are very bad and only promote cancerous playstyles like Nydus Swarm Hosts and Cannon Rushes into Air;
  • Z is very weak compared to T and P, serving basically as a meat shield and map vision race;
  • Toss Air is way too strong and dominant, especially Phoenix and Void Rays. It is so dominant that if you are the only Toss on the team and you don’t play Air, you are putting your team in a huge disadvantage. Protoss players have 0 diversity options of play in high level team games;
  • Units had too many speed buffs in LotV in all races: Blink DTs, Adepts, Blinking BCs, Void Rays, Nydus…

As a bonus, we have a terrible community in Starcraft that team kill allies, smurfs every game abusing placements, trash talk a lot…

2 Likes

…a guy that plays 29 archon games and refuses to play the last game with teammate to get Archon GM, not naming any name…

1 Like

Hey man, had some life problems at the time. Hit me up anytime and we can do it. Even though I don’t play SC anymore we can finish that one.

1 Like

Archon GM XXXXXXXXDDDDDDDD

1 Like

This does sound like a serious problem. in fact it makes me wonder how people manage to stay masters. Simple math. If this is happenening even 1 in 30 games then it is like you are reset. At the same time, there is also the issue of masters rolfstomping lower leagues.

• Because of free to play, people abuse the placements like I said above and this killed the meaning of leagues in teams, you play vs. people on Gold League that are in reality Master players, creating huge imbalances and frustration for low level players due to playing smurfs every game on low leagues;

Free to play was the biggest mistake blizzard ever made with this game.

• LotV economy made the games too much snowballish;

Can you go into more detail about this one? What do you mean by snowballish and what changes caused this?

• Maps are very bad and only promote cancerous playstyles like Nydus Swarm Hosts and Cannon Rushes into Air;

Concorde LE is especially one of the worst for any other race besides protoss. I have that one blacklisted.

• Z is very weak compared to T and P, serving basically as a meat shield and map vision race;

It does feel very weak compared to the others at times. I main zerg in 4v4 though and still enjoy it dispite the shortcomings.

• Toss Air is way too strong and dominant, especially Phoenix and Void Rays. It is so dominant that if you are the only Toss on the team and you don’t play Air, you are putting your team in a huge disadvantage. Protoss players have 0 diversity options of play in high level team games;

There is a huge upside to this though for the opponents. Due to how common these builds are people can pre-emptively build for them meaning that often you don’t even need to worry about scouting this to prepare for it.

• Units had too many speed buffs in LotV in all races: Blink DTs, Adepts, Blinking BCs, Void Rays, Nydus…

Didn’t think about this. But hey. Least nydus worms are attackable before they finish now and one can’t build multiple at once with one nydus nest.

As a bonus, we have a terrible community in Starcraft that team kill allies, smurfs every game abusing placements, trash talk a lot…

This could possibly be the worst problem out of all on this list.

1 Like

Wish it was like that but it is basically 8 or 9 games out of 10 with busted matchmaking.

About the economy, it is in such a way that it is too explosive and reduces comeback potential. For example, if you try to do an early Roach all-in, the Void Rays will already be coming out by the time your Roaches arrive on opponents base and then the Zerg player is now massively behind because of how the economy scale now.

Tech units come out too soon in LotV and small mistakes make you too far behind in the game, making comebacks much harder.

About the speed buffs we had in LotV, you would actually be impressed on how many units had speed buffs. I only pointed a few on the post before. Ignoring the units I said above we also had speed buffs on: Medivacs, Banshees, Tempests, Warp Prism, Zealots, Ultralisks, Hydralisk, Corruptors, Overlords.

Man, we had the speed of so many units buffed on LotV it is actually crazy. Almost every unit got it’s speed buffed directly or through upgrades.

LotV was designed to be enjoyed by Koreans with twitchy reflexes and that is why Sc2 is at an all time low popularity. People do not enjoy Broodwar style of gameplay outside of Korea. It is simple as that. Unfortunately, Blizzard devs are not smart enough or have too much pride to realize why people do not want to play this game anymore.

1 Like

Welcome to team games in 20 seconds. https://youtu.be/VbCZJZcNN6E?t=66

I definitely see this as a real problem at times yes. As a result of this for me it seems like any time protoss are playing one absolutely must hydras unless they have been scouted to using another strategy.

Another thing in team games I also find annoying are battlecruisers. Its possible for someone to get their first battlecruiser out by around the 4 minute mark and if playing as zerg and you have no corruptors, they can usually take out a base and number of workers or escape before anything can be done. Honestly. I find battlecruisers to be far more scary and annoying then skytoss especially if they are combined with as widow play and the opponent has also fortified his home base pretty well. At least skytoss can’t just warp anywhere on the map at any given time.

1 Like

Learn how to make spores and also practice using Tranfuse with queens.

I will try this more often.

You can scout the terrans with speed ovies.

1 Like

Play this weekend, a lot more people play on the weekends when they don’t have to work, so it’s better.

4x4 was the best in WOL

Why was that?

10/char

It had some classic maps. Sand Canyon. Extinction. Fossil Quarry. Megaton. Had absolute legendary games on those.

Wouldn’t say it was so much better, it did have more players. 4v4 was alive for years thru Hots coming out and so on.

~Editing due to language | Moderator Faindln~

1 Like

I only do 1v1.
My level of achievement is mine alone.
Why ruin a perfectly solid game profile with league levels not self found? Why ruin your SC2 experience?

Look up those maps I mentioned. They are still listed in custom and you can still play them.

1 Like

All of these were once official ladder maps? Wow I have tried all of these and I love them. Especially megaton. Megaton 4v4s are common in custom games. I do see this as being good reasoning.

Megaton sucks because you’re limited to a 2 base gas economy. The maps aren’t the thing that made WoL team games better. It’s nostalgia, being clueless, no premades, try hards etc.

Right. Back in 2010-2012. Fossil Quarry stayed on into 2014 I believe. Really sick map.

Megaton used to have a whole community devoted to it in customs. Then they redid the customs menu and put it all in arcade.

Used to be a bunch of Megaton games to choose from at any give time. Now you’re lucky to get one filled up with 8 people. Especially on the weekday.

Also I don’t like the zombie mod. I’ve played some weird mods on that map.

1 Like