1v1 Tournament using Co-op Commanders

If Abathur invaded the Dominion could Terran ingenuity hold? Could Karax resist Mira Han and Matt Horner’s combined forces? Well Let’s find out in This Sc2 1v1 Tournament using the AllStar: Co-op PvP mod.
matcherino .com/tournaments/33014/overview
challonge .com/GARO1
Date Aug 29 2 pm EDT
Check in 1:30 pm EDT
Prize pool $100 + additional Matcherino
Hosted by RnGpro and Archangel Gaming

(I’m not allowed to post links so please remove the space before .com )

1 Like

Just coping over from your other thread:

LOL Yeah wasn’t sure the best place to post this, because I figured the Co-Op community might be interested in it and I’m not sure if they check the other forums much… But as I said we have some rules in place to try and make it more fun and less “Ultimate ability rush… get owned noob” Though there still will be plenty of that

I feel like early Dehaka harass will be OP.

The main problems consist of this.

Ramp up time. The one with the fastest time to power up before the other commander can even make a unit wins. Abathur would be destroyed by just about anything because he relies on biomass which, the opposing side can easily avoid. Zagara can get dozens of lings very quickly. Raynor can spawn bashees, Karax can just spam his orbital strikes. So on and so forth. Even though Abathur is the most powerful commander, he is probably the weakest in terms of 1v1.

Second one is heroic units. Dehaka spawns faster than any other hero. And he can eat whoever. So if Tychus spawns, he is dead before getting an ability off.

And lastly, coop commanders are not built for 1v1…at all. They are meant to take on amons forces and objectives.

1 Like

Sounds like you have it all figured out… You should join the tournament and roll some noob and win some money. $100 Prize pool

1 Like

This was a one-time mutation a few years ago. Stukov seemed to be the king simply because Apocolisk comes up the fastest. Raynor’s call downs are quick too, so it’d be one of those two. Everyone else is just going to get merc’d. Dehaka would be a brutal anti-super unit enemy, but his ability to destroy bases is pretty bad. I guess he could just jump on all the workers.

For this to be a satisfactory game, I think a very special map would be needed. It would need something like -

• Additional AI forces separating the two players, both to stop early aggression and to give biomass and essence
  • A base-covering blackout zone that prevented call downs, teleports, and burrows directing in to someone’s base. This could even be timed for the first 5-8 min or something.
1 Like

We’re working within the parameters of the mod, but there is a peace time setting… As far as top bar we’re stated in our rules that it is against the tournament if they’re used in main or nat we’re counting it as a map loss.

If they’re used in main or nat period? Does that mean you have to call Hyperion just outside the base and walk it in, or that if Hyperion ever attacks the enemy base you lose?

Like, as somebody else noted, they actually did this as an April Fools joke one year and Raynor’s ability to rally drop pod marines and follow up with calldowns meant nobody else had a chance to play. They aren’t balanced for vs mode, and locking out edge cases like Hyperion just means the next-best OP army will auto-win (I’m thinking Mengsk with his bunker calldowns, or maybe Stukov’s Apocolisk).

Partly why we’re forcing Random because there are things that are hard to counter play. But I’ve gone against a reynor before and was able to counter play it. Not always but sometimes.

And of course we know this isn’t “Balanced” this is mean to be a fun thing with and we put some money on the line to draw in more people. We don’t think we’re going to be reinventing Sc2 competitive with this. Just meant to be fun and have fun with the community.

2 Likes

What map/maps are being used for this Tourney? When will additional parameters be posted?

They’ll be posted in the links, current season map pool

Are monetary prizes allowed by the TOS? Seems like it would be gambling?

Anyway, as others mentioned some commanders would be simply unbeatable in this format. Whether its Dehaka eating your mineral line, Karax nuking it, Mengsk planting bunkers on it, Stukov infesting your CC or Alarak overcharging a pylon while its warping in, none of these commanders are designed for pvp.

As mentioned before, in lobby there will be a 3 minute peace timer (Makes all of your units and buildings within 20 range of your main base invulnerable) + using top bar abilities within the main and natural of your enemy will cause a map loss. This allows for much more counter play, rather than rushing a worker to your enemy base and spamming your top bar abilities.

Also I don’t think this is considered gambling since we’re not asking people to put up their own money. Though we do have a matcherino if they enjoy it they can help bump the prize pool.

Is this tournament being broadcast on Twitch or YouTube etc?

Nastery karax nukes enemy CC at start, gg?

Edit: ahh, reading helps, nvm

Assuming full power, Raynor wins. Hands down. Drop pods and rapid training units just… Yeah. GG.

Even with the 3min rule, wouldn’t Karax still be able to destroy any CC/Nexux/Hatch very quickly? Not much comes out at 3min. Mengsk P3 maybe a good contender too.