"You're a Cult!" & The Toxicity | Let's Stop The Maliciousness

if it’s meant to be just a signature (akin to just signing with a name) it should not carry a message of intent/goal, only an identifier.

if xavvy removed the middle section of her/his signature i highly doubt anyone would even bother commenting about it. the only reason people comment about it is that it constantly (i.e in very single xavvy post) tries to attach universal virtues to a specific individual that is known for a very specific and contested opinion.

3 Likes

It’s not okay how much she was an absolute must pick and completely dominated the scene.

If you played into Mercy, without a Mercy, you lose. That is NOT healthy. Where we are now is healthy, completely disregarding ‘personal preference’ and ‘fun’.

1 Like

It’s a signature and doesn’t promote anything political or remotely cultish? What?

It’s incredibly annoying that people let calling on a specific group of posters a “cult.”

So many posters who are saying such things also seen to complain about toxicity, without realizing they are spewing vitriol themselves.

People are allowed to agree. People are allowed to disagree. There’s no reason to resort to making personal attacks. Especially since none of the changes made to the game personally affect anyone’s livelihood, it’s a game.

1 Like

You shouldn’t excuse toxicity ingame/ in here because “words are words”. Sexism and racism are two different thing but both are labeled as hate-speech.

If you’re personally attacking someone for your personal reasons you’re being toxic, period. No matter if you used a slur or “idiot”.

3 Likes

On the FF14 forums praticly everyone has endings like this with a picture of their character

k? but my point was that being called a cult member is worse than pointing out a dps is bad. It’s completely different. Calling Mercy players cult members is derogatory and disgusting.

The word is not randomly thrown around…the bigger question people should be asking is why it’s being used in this case…some people have taken the mercy thing to extremes that many would not consider normal behavior…to say all mercy mains is not fair…but unfortunately within that community some are going too far and so unfortunately you get labels thrown your way

1 Like

Not all mercy mains do that though.

Btw death wishes? R u sure? Because it is permaban material and I don’t see any death wishes to the devs anywhere.

Imo calling someone a cultist or saying they’re part of a cult isn’t personal attack.

Also calling someone cultist doesn’t mean you insult them.

Never said they all do.
Yeah I actually managed to screenshot one of them before it got 404’d lol

You know what’s also derogatory and disgusting in here? Being called a DPS main even though you’re not one.

Why? Because of the hate connotation Mercy mains gave to those words. Said connotation being: bad, lazy, dumb, idiotic, braindead, needy etc.

Tbh the more you keep trying to sound like Mercy mains have it worse, the more you prove the point that [X words used as an insult towards Mercy mains] is much worse than [X words used as an insult towards anyone else]

1 Like

“Trying to prove Mercy mains have it worse” Sheesh, I’m just trying to have a discussion on how being called a cultist is ridiculous and insulting. Yet as always, it moves on to this. Whatever, I have videos to make. I’m not wasting more time here.

4 Likes

This ignores the negative connotations however and the fact that it’s not being used to address any sort of discussion or issue. It’s used as an attack on Mercy posters right now, which is kind of silly.

“In the English-speaking world the word “cult” often carries derogatory connotations.[14] It has always been controversial because it is (in a pejorative sense) considered a subjective term, used as an ad hominem attack against groups with differing doctrines or practices.[15][16]”

Generally speaking, when you call someone a cultist, you are attacking their character. It might be true, but I sincerely doubt having a difference of opinon over changes made to a video game qualifies players as cultists.

5 Likes

Not all mercy mains are a cult, but a lot of them definitely act like it

1 Like

2 things need to change in order to achieve this:

1. People need to stop gatekeeping each other and creating echo chambers and hiveminded responses. We all have our own beliefs and views and informed opinions should be treated fairly and equally.
  2. People need to stop such hostility towards each other based on what characters they play. Obviously, some characters are more often the victim than others but it doesn’t matter. No one wants they’re favourite character to be broken in either direction (f-tier or op) so stop treating everyone like its what they want.

Seriously, it’s ridiculous that we even have gotten to this point where we’re borderline segregating each other based on hero choice, play hours and playstyle.

7 Likes

Guess it’s alright for you to insult players as screaming DPS mains if you don’t use the word Cult. That would be ri-di-cu-lous :thonking:

3 Likes

The revert Mercy people need to just give up. Look, we’ve all had our heroes ruined by the devs. At this point, literally every single character has sucked at some point or other - most of them also play significantly differently than they used to, too. Everyone’s had to deal with this. But you have to eventually move on… you don’t define your entire identity around the event and just keep bringing it up forever.

I mean, of the heroes I play, one was completely deleted and redesigned within the last six months and the other two were considered totally non-viable for most of that time. The DPS I flex to has been forced to change about five or six times as heroes are either nerfed or outcompeted by recently buffed ones. This affects everyone… but you can’t just keep axe-grinding on one change. Do what everyone else does and pick up a few other heroes to play and move on.

1 Like

That really is not how most signatures work on forums. Many ones that don’t contain an image (because they can’t or won’t include an image) have a short statement about the person. It is literally on all of their posts. It’s just a signature.

Man, ya’ll are making me feel old.

1 Like

If it helps at all, I had to explain what a signature was to someone else earlier this afternoon.

1 Like

5 Likes