You paid for the game. Play what you wanna play

only because it’s online… Yet that doesn’t make it right from a social or sportsmanship point of view. What has happened online is games have hamstrung players with the gaming rule set of pre-school children playing with blocks.
Where you just have to sit there and take whatever someone else is doing being there is nothing you can do about it. Teacher said everyone gets to play with the blocks.

Yet NOTHING about that make it all of sudden ok, it just makes it easy to get away with due to the nature of being online. I think over time we will see a tightening of online requirements and a slow stripping away of an anonymity for a lot of group like interaction. I don’t mean forced, but by choice to remove the “I do what I want!” like pouting child like actions from online games due to adding the weight of repercussions.

1 Like

You can put any 6 heroes you want on a team and I guarantee if you worked together instead of tilted and called strats or focus down targets, you’d beat over 50% of every team you went up against . Playing whatever you want is what this game is about , it gives you the freedom to do that, winning isn’t about what hero you think your teammates should be playing, it’s about playing as a team .

I’ve seen 5 support teams wreck 2.2.2 or 1 1 4 annihilate everything when the opposing team try to be “meta” but don’t have a clue how to work together and your team does.

It always has and always will be about teamwork over composition , too many people cry about it because their minds simply cannot open that far to comprehend it.

3 Likes

but we all know all things being equal that a better over all flexible comp will win WAY more games. Junkrat + Reaper doesn’t counter Pharah. Hanzo + Widowmaker + torb will never stop a pirate ship with double shield tanks + bastion.

Can a better over all team win with any comp due to the other team imploding? Sure. Doesn’t really prove anything.
Plus the bottom line is the main problem is still the game treating the player like little kid with blocks. We don’t have tools to build a team, we don’t have a system to find better team players.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to play a certain way, only certain heroes or only certain tactics. The issue is really the game not allowing the rest of us to filter those player out of our games some how.

5 Likes

I’ve changed my stance on one tricking after trying to flex for the last few seasons. I used to think it was irredeemably bad to one trick, and that saying it’s not a reportable offense was the wrong stance for Blizzard to take.

Now I just think that if that’s the stance Blizzard wants to take, then they should add the framework to the game to support that. Give us a LFG system, give us role queue, give us something. If people want to one trick, then fine. Just don’t toss them into a system where their choices will punish people who don’t want to pick around them.

2 Likes

I feel as if you’re making the same incorrect judgement others do , and blame the hero not the player . If a hero pick is suboptimal for a situation, so be it , if that person is trying and putting forth effort then there is nothing wrong with that, their skill level will put them to where they are, and if they’re in your game then you all have around the same skill, face the facts.

If a player as a person is mean , unwilling to try , etc. That’s a different story . This is a thread about hero choice, and your choice doesn’t matter if you’re being a true team player and cooperating.

Ill play mei and block your turrets all game with my ice wall.

I agree. You bought the game, you should play who you want.
HOWEVER
If you’re playing competitive mode and selfishly playing as whoever, then you should stick to quick play. Competitive is for people who want to work as a team, win games, and hone their skill to improve. Arcade and quick play is for your own personal fun. If you don’t think of your team when playing comp, then you’re defeating the point of comp. I can not describe how many games someone just picks Torb or Symmetra on attack because they “just feel like it” or say “this is my smurf, I don’t care”.

1 Like

“Monetary Incentive” LOL

and that’s part if the problem. A huge part!

Waving your entitlement saying ”I paid for this so I can do what I want” is not playing as a team. What it is, is catering to your fragile ego in an environment where ego is not a good trait.

3 Likes

Is it more selfish for me to initially pick Doomfist or for my team to moan and groan about it before the match has even started?

(This happened to me this morning.)

1 Like

Didn’t you get the memo? Heroes like Doomfist, Sombra, Mei, Sym, and the rest of the off-metas were designed to be salad dressing for the hero selection screen.

How stupid of you to have thought otherwise to think that any of these heroes were more than just glorified christmas tree decorations adorned across your monitor for your viewing pleasure.

You weren’t meant to pick and play them, you just click on them to see their cute little animation and instead pick a real hero like Tracer, Mercy, or Reinhardt.

/s

2 Likes

Haha!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To finish the story, I left spawn and swapped after my first death, 'cause I noticed they had a pharmercy. I spent about 1 round out of the 3 the match went on the hero (which is my best hero, if that matters), but I was instantly reminded why I spend more time in QP than Comp on this occasion.

I’ve played probably too much comp than is healthy really, and at the end of it all I concluded that a lot of my time wouldn’t have felt like a waste if I just played in a 6 person group.

So for now on if I play comp or in any competitive manner it’s going to be with a 6 stack, no exceptions. After experiencing all the negatives, especially as someone that plays Hanzo a lot, it didn’t matter what rank I was at (gold to GM), you just feel like you never entirely belong there because of the hero you chose.

Well you know what, I’ll find a team that’ll accept me as a player without harboring irrational prejudice towards my hero choice, how about that.

1 Like

Follow this guy’s advice, and you will never climb.

For a person that made it to GM I thought you would know better.

You’ve probably seen a few players that probably have quite literally played whatever they wanted and made it to around Masters - GM.

Like hell I play pretty much only Hanzo and made it up to Masters, just because something worked for you doesn’t mean it works for everyone else.

By that some token, “playing whatever you want” might not work for some people if they care about climbing, but that’s on a case-by-case basis rather than someone absentmindedly throwing out a statement like, “Follow this guy’s advice, and you will never climb.”

1 Like

Using your logic, I can pay for the game and throw if I wanted to. If I managed to play for a basketball team would I just sit down and not play while on the court? No.

Paying for the game doing your own thing is selfish. I main Tracer because I don’t have to be with my team all the time to be effective, but I still rely on them.

4 Likes

Your analogy implies a lack of participation. However, you’re not alone in making these backwards comparisons. People for some weird, out-of-the-blue reason like to equate a lack of participation with someone playing in a way they don’t agree with.

I disagree that the attack Torb or Sym or whatever is equal to a person literally sitting down in any kind of playing field and literally not doing anything. More accurate that would be someone that never leaves the spawn room starting from the first second a match starts.

The attack Torb/Sym though? They are participating. Are they selfish? Sure, you can say that. Are they throwing? I can’t tell really, I can’t see the player in person or their screen to derive enough information to make an accurate judgement. Do I disagree with the way they are playing? Perhaps I do. Does my disagreement mean that I have to make them out to be the bad guy, as bad as the guy that’s sitting in spawn and not leaving the room at all? Perhaps that’s going too far.

Supernerd, you’re going too far.

2 Likes

There is definitely an element of play whatever you want and it’s not going to ruin the game. I’ve won playing quad support…that’s right, quad support…in a competitive match. I tilted in my head half most of the game, asked people to switch, no 9ne cares or in comms… guess what we won. You win 5v 6 sometimes, you win with garbage comps, you win with meta comps. Just try to enjoy the game… I used to tilt when someone auto locked window, not just let it go man. Play around it. If you complain the first 5 seconds of the match, well, you’re most likely the problem IMO

1 Like

Did I say that picking Torbjörn or Symmetra on Attack is throwing?

Someone who buys the game can play any hero they want, as long as they’re contributing. I don’t care. But to use the excuse that they can do what they can one-trick or throw because they bought the game is selfish.

I think I found my new catchphrase.

2 Likes