Yes, the Support Changes were a Success

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
I think you won that argument?

Because she’s unique in that she introduces players not of an FPS background with a kit and playstyle unique to her?

2 Likes

Also just because OW is a FPS doesn’t mean people want to point and shoot.

That wasn’t Mercy players. That was the people who wanted Mercy nerfed to the ground and claim she’s balanced now that she’s the objectively the worse support in the game and one of the worst heroes.

8 Likes

Because for 8+ months, she was objectively the single strongest hero in the game, and believe it or not, people generally enjoy winning and will even take relatively cheap, cheesy, or even unfun methods to do so :thinking:

Because she brought in players who never liked the FPS genre into the game. Surprisingly a lot of my friends did not like FPS until they picked up OW and Mercy (for a good few) was the reason why they picked it up in the first place.

Her existence alone made it seem that OW wasn’t going to be like the typical FPS

I was just happy more of my friends are now more open to FPS games now because of that.

She was one of the most popular heroes BEFORE she became OP, your hypothesis is wrong

3 Likes

You mean back when there was the SR exploit and she was otherwise relatively balanced, meaning you could easily climb ranks via Mass Rez? Right, sure. Totally disproven there.

Or before the 60 HPS change, when Ana/Lucio were dominant and Mercy was considered trash tier?

Or before Ana, when Mercy was the main healer?

2 Likes

At any point lol, she’s maintained one of the highest levels of popularity at EVERY stage of the game since launch so far

4 Likes

They didn’t. So why do they expect people to care about Mercy?

erm, yes we did?

Myself and other Mercy’s frequently discussed in the Ana threads talking about mobility buffs lol

5 Likes

They did though?

(20)

1 Like

Actually I didn’t want Mercy to be a must pick, I liked it a lot better when I didn’t have to worry about people stealing Mercy from me. Now we are back there but I don’t even want to pick her. Lol

5 Likes

So
 firstly, she wasn’t that popular prior to the changes that made her relatively viable. That’s a blatant exaggeration. She was considered pretty cruddy until she got 60 HPS. Her character may have had relatively positive reception, but pop-culture preferences don’t actually mean anything for in-game popularity.

Then, after Ana got nerfed, Mercy got 60 HPS, and people found out about the SR exploit, she exploded in usage. Again, if there’s an easy method to be successful, people will take it.

Then, we got the rework and the community was pretty much at a consensus that she was OP, and we’ve been continuing the cycle of nerfing her and then finding out she’s still very strong for months. Regardless of what her previous popularity may have derived from, that’s still true. She was absolutely chosen because of her power, and not running meant losing–and losing isn’t fun, usually. Whether or not she was popular beforehand, or why she was or wasn’t, has no bearing on that.

Mercy mains play her because they like her. Okay, all good. But lots of folks picked her up because she was absurdly strong. That’s
 not exactly a novel claim. The key here is that long-term Mercy mains–those who played her before the rework, before the SR exploits, etc, etc–didn’t want her in that state, particularly after they found out she was substantially less enjoyable to play. Hence the outcry to revert the rework, which is (at least from my view) justified

2 Likes

She was though? Jeff said in his developer update for 2.0 that Mercy is far and away the most played hero by a wide margin.

4 Likes

At this point you’re just saying random stuff about what other people supposedly do or don’t or did or didn’t.

“a support is not top tier must pick? REEEE TRASH TIER UNPLAYABLE REEEE”

-this fanbase

That was post-60 HPS and SR exploit, which I already covered

There are enough mercy threads as it is, It’s literally the most talked about topic on this forum.

Stop generalizing. Ana was trash and people wanted her to be viable, Mercy takes her place
 k let her be that way because she was meta.

2 Likes