Would Sombra need buffs?

she needs buffs but the ptr changes are a step in the right direction.

still sombra nice buffs.

It’s ehhh, I just prefer buffs that will help solve Sombra issues.

1 Like

There was certainly a perception that she was crazy powerful, but that doesn’t equate to it being a correct assessment. As far as win statistics, her winrate in GM and Masters competitive didn’t seem to change all that much. Really, besides the pros flipping out about her, there didn’t seem to be any statistics to show she was OP.

If you compare what happened when Hanzo was buffed and made OP, Hanzo’s pickrate and winrate skyrocketed and he rapidly became a must-take hero. We saw none of that with Sombra after her buff. Surely pre-nerf Sombra couldn’t have been more OP than Hanzo? Yet it took far longer to nerf Hanzo and his nerfs have been slaps on the wrist, as opposed to the giant brutal nerf Sombra received.

2 Likes

She was picked to a ridiculous amount and the best Sombra team (Element Mystic) dropped 4 maps in the group stages.

Sombra requires coordination. Hanzo doesn’t. That’s the difference.

I was going to post a thread giving my opinion, but you sum’d up everything I wanted to convey, in a much nicer way.

Seeing is I can’t be nice about it, especially when Bastion and Mercy mains start pissing and whining about their own classes.

2 Likes

don’t get me wrong I’m still waiting for her to be fixed I’m just saying the this is some nice qol stuff.

1 Like

That a better way to put it, these changes are good QoL Changes.

No she didn’t. She was used a lot in Korea, but the team that actually won didn’t use her.

It’s such a fringe of a fringe example though, that it’s really just an anecdote. We have no actual data or stats to even see how effective she actually was.

3 Likes

X6 won. Not O2 Ardeont. O2 was the team that tended to run Sombra less, and X6 exploited that weakness to easily win the finals.

And none of these players could take this power onto the ladder for those two weeks.

Like I say, it just boils down to an anecdote because it’s such a small fringe example for which we have no actual data other than that a non-Sombra team was able to compete and get to the final past this “100% use”.

It also didn’t make tanks irrelevant as some have claimed.

2 Likes

The finals were playerbase post-nerf, so they aren’t exactly relevant anyway. O2 directly benefited from the nerfs.

Element Mystic only lost 4 maps the entire group stage because they simply abused how broken Sombra was.

Sombra is a hero that requires coordination. That’s why she has never dominated the ladder.

She’s also as easily countered by coordination.

I’d expect Masters+ players would be able to manage sufficient coordination. They never did.

I mean, even the Contenders players who play at that level on the ladder weren’t making her work there.

Just sounds like they were big fish in a small pond, their hero choices weren’t the major factor.

3 Likes

No, she isn’t. 6 people focusing a Hacked target is not something you can deal with. Teams tried to run Moira to better pocket the Hacked target, but even then you would get outdamaged.

Masters+ is just an arbitrary number you picked for no reason. People in Masters+ are still playing with randoms. Communication does increase a little bit (her winrate in GM is consistently good) but it’s nothing like an actual team. In a team setting, your tanks will actively not engage and not use cooldowns before something gets Hacked. In solo queue, that trust simply isn’t there. Tanks jump in whenever they want, which means their mobility might be down when the Hack goes off.

It doesn’t help that a lot of people in GM are totally unwilling to play Dive tanks.

If they’re going to keep the Stealth speed increase at 50%, comparing it to Soldier 76’s movement speed, Sombra should be able to go into Stealth much faster:

Stealth

• Stealthing now takes 0.3 seconds, down from 0.7 seconds (unstealthing still takes 0.7 seconds)
  • When breaking Stealth with damage, unstealthing now takes 0.3 seconds

If 6 people are focusing, you, it doesn’t really matter if you’re Hacked or not.

2 Likes

It actually matters a lot. A Moira for example can Fade, putting her team at an advantage because the Dive team committed tons of cooldowns and didn’t get a kill. With Sombra, that changes.

Moira is going to fade out of Hack anyway, it’s instant, Hack isn’t. The she orbs, then you’re not using Hack any time soon. Try again.

1 Like

Cool, now she used her abilities and it’s on cooldown so you can Dive her anyway.

Considering every Sombra player and those unbiased to the hero, including the pro players - all say she’s nerfed, but she needed a buff, I would assume the answer to your question is extremely easy to decide.