Willing to bet $200 the devs don't touch Mei again for 6+ months

I will give $200 to a worthy charity if the devs make any more changes to Mei within the next 6 months, other than a basic bug fix or 2 (like fixing getting hooked out of Cryo).

This isn’t to goad the devs into making much needed changes, in all honesty, I would be left struggling in my own finances for a couple of weeks if I did give $200 to charity, but I am so confident that the devs have already moved on despite her continued poor state, that I know I won’t ever have to make the donation.

Why am I making this thread?
To help you understand why Mei mains are angry and vocal. People have been telling us that it’s good what they are doing with Mei, making small changes incrementally, but that isn’t how Blizzard works. They don’t make continued small increments upwards, they over-buff and then increment downward, like we are seeing with Sombra, like we saw with Mercy and Junkrat, and like we have seen with every other hero.

They are already done with Mei, that’s it, 2 icicles and a pointless 0.5 second longer slow, neither of which do anything to address her many shortfalls or her viability.

We have the stats: no meaningful increase in pickrate, only a minor shift in winrate which still trends negatively, still one of the lowest on-fire rates in the game, still has one of the worst Kill-Death Ratios in the game, still has the lowest avg damage per 10 mins of every DPS hero as well as half the tank and support roster.

Mei is F-Tier through and through, and we’ve seen the devs comment on threads about further Sombra changes, as well as Symmetra and Hanzo changes, and yet, still nothing on further changes to Mei. Jeff and Geoff have moved on, the “buffs” Mei got were the only ones they ever intended to give her, and they are little more than placebos, they don’t change the way we play, nor do they help in any meaningful way.

We are still useless against any hero with mobility, there is still a severe lack of actual utility, the utility she does possess is incredibly situational, she is only effective against already slow heroes like tanks which goes against her core design according to Geoff, she has no reliable damage source, her primary fire is situational, her kit relies almost entirely on enemies making misplays or failing aim checks, cryo is little more than a big sign that says “camp me”, her ult is underpowered, easily countered, and plagued with bugs.

The development team are done with Mei, they are far too busy rebalancing Sombra, balacing Brigette, and making changes to Hanzo and Symmetra. I would love to be proven wrong, but I am 100% confident I will not be parting with that $200 at any point in the next 6 months.

57 Likes

Dude mei is not in a bad spot. If they add anymore buffs to her she’ll be just be op. She’s a niche pick that can’t be played all the time and that’s completely fine.

20 Likes

They really do need to put new hero’s on pause for a few after Brigitte and just work on really fixing characters. Like I dunno actually hammering out the what is it 20+ bugs Doomfist still has? Actually balancing and fixing the defense class in general? But noooooooo they’ll probably just put new hero’s first

20 Likes

Be glad they aren’t.

Look at what they’re doing to Sombra.

7 Likes

You can say that all you want but every piece of empirical evidence we have suggests she is not “completely fine”.

Being a niche pick should mean her stats, such as Kill-Death Ratio, and Average Damage Per 10 Minutes, are inflated or exaggerated (IE they should be better than they actually are, like Symmetra’s high winrate), and what we see is that even the best Mei players in the world fail to compete with the average stats of other heroes in Gold and Platinum.

She is a niche pick, absolutely, and also a poor one. Sombra and Hog are better disruptors, Zarya and D.Va have better zoning ults, every DPS hero (and half the remaining cast) have better DPS and get more eliminations per death.

Mei is a niche pick who doesn’t have a niche, just a bunch of incredibly situational and barely useful tools.

And if you truly believe she is a niche pick, then tell me which niche you’d pick her in. Tell me her niche. In which situation would you ever pick Mei over another hero? I’m actually really curious.

18 Likes

the MHE foundation is a worthy cause that serves people who have a rare genetic condition.

1 Like

No it does not. Not every niche pick needs to have similar stats to torb or sym (like bastion or Doom)

And there’s a reason why. She’s a very high skill hero like hanzo or zen; a projectile hero where each of her shots do incredible damage, but is just simply too inconsistent to land like soldier or tracer.

She does have a niche: splitting teams with her wall while simultaneously denying an area. The reason for Mei’s seldom use is not because she has poor stats or abilities. It’s because most maps just simply don’t fit mei’s design.

1 Like

you need to move those 200$ to some escrow service - here is my eth address, I’ll keep the money under GAAP.

0x2ed4cC3a791fDaA5F1ab7efb0F03A555e4EBc126

what niche? She’s just too chubby to fit any niche

6 Likes

This bet is one I can not win. It took Blizzard over a year to address Mei and all she has gotten were minor insignificant buffs which completely ignore her biggest issues.

I doubt we will see any changes to her any soon. She is just not popular enough to be looked at. Not to mention that the lead developer think she is a situational hero who is already balanced and can feel very overwhelming.

11 Likes

Torb/doomfist/bastion/sym have a similar niche and it’s that they’re bad…

Having heroes only work on a certain map is also bad…

Stats are a poor metric for Mei as most of her abilities are about zoning/splitting/disruption. None of which is easy to measure. The problem is that none of her abilities are good enough to justify picking her over someone who can just damage/block stuff or heal.

Having a few heroes that work in every situation and the rest being trash is what has got us into this stale situation where dive is king.

6 Likes

I honestly hope the Devs do not touch mei or any hero, when they do they provide a overpowered buff and then nerf that hero so far into the ground that F tier looks like heaven. I am seriously thinking that all balancing no matter teh game needs to be done by a independent team, that has absolutely no connection to the developers of each IP.

Most the playing population don’t care about Mei and if they buff her too much everyone in the forums will erupt.

They more than likely don’t want to touch her because she’s going to be on the razors edge of balance where she will be not that good or way too good and extremely frustrating to play vs

1 Like

Lol :laughing: :laughing:

Make her cryo freeze enemy who are too long(3sec) to close to her(5 meter) and let it deal damage.

If I’m honest, it feels like Blizzard don’t listen to the vast majority of suggestions, and all they hear and see is a simple “X hero needs a buff/nerf”, then they proceed to ignore community feedback on what specifically needs changing and instead buff or nerf a random area of a hero.

Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t play Doomfist at all, but did his Hand Cannon need a buff over the rest of his kit? Are his bugs fixed yet? Is his ridiculously small Rocket Punch hit-box sorted out yet?

I heard a lot of different suggestions and complaints that Mei was lacking in certain areas compared to other DPS heroes, and sure, the ammo cost reduction for her M2 ability and the freeze time increase is quite nice, but did it really solve her core issues?

8 Likes

What if they indirectly buffed mei by adding a hero she strongly syngerizes with?

They could make her work with Doomfist, prop up walls and he punches people in them. But both are garbage tier heroes and Blizzard won’t touch them again for a long time, just look at poor Bastion, he’s in a worse state than when they first worked on him.

i like how when ppl say HAYUCK HERDER that heroes a niche pick they dont think about how any other hero can do better in that niche

5 Likes

Both Hanzo and Zen have higher damage and KDR stats than Mei does… also, Mei’s projectiles don’t do incredible damage unless it’s a headshot at close range. The damage fall-off on Mei’s only source of real damage is insanely high.

You say she has a niche but most maps don’t fit that niche… so in other words, she has no niche. If nothing in the game supports the niche, that niche doesn’t exist, and denying a choke every 10 seconds with a wall is hardly what I would call effective area denial, or a niche ability that would ever make her worth picking over any other hero.

As NordBigD pointed out, saying Mei is a niche pick and ignoring that other heroes do that niche better is doing your argument no favours. Mei is a niche pick, but Sombra is a better disruptor, so if a team needs a disruptor, they pick Sombra… which is why Mei sucks.

Hog and Sombra are better at disrupting than Mei.
D.Va, Junkrat, Zarya have far better zoning ults than Mei.
Every DPS hero, most tanks, and most supports are far better at doing damage and making eliminations than Mei.

What does that leave her with? Even as a niche pick, why would anyone ever pick her over another hero?

THAT is the problem. I don’t care if they keep her a niche pick, but how about an actual buff to her utility to make her effective in some kind of niche, in any niche, in ANY situation, instead of making meaningless, insulting buffs that don’t address anything that is actually a problem.

8 Likes