Will they ever clean up this mess?

The mess of throwers every where and at ever rank. It’s very sad that they have spent as much time and effort to not discipline bad players harder. Maybe they will learn with OVERWATCH 3.

4 Likes

They discipline throwers pretty harsh, there just are too many that even if you’d ban every one right now that you’d encounter at least 30% of them the next day.
Increasing quite fast too.

4 Likes

you want to get rid of all the mess, but non of you here want to do it naturally by getting to higher ranks via self-improvement. Think about it. THere is lees mess at higher ranks, there is no smurfs at gm games who can decide how your game goes.

1 Like

If they did I would be into playing rank more.

1 Like

Hard to get better against players far above our level. I’m bronze and I deserve bronze. However playing against golds plats and above is terrible.

3 Likes

That is how you actually get better, by playing against better people and learning from it.

If you do not know why you have gotten killed in a certain situation look at the replay from that person’s perspective. You will not learn much from fellow Bronze players or fellow players in other low elos apart from learning how to play wrong because they do not know how to punish you.

A wrong play in low elo ends up being a good one just because people do not notice it or fail to punish it. But a wrong play is still a wrong play.

If you think Gold is any good you have another thing coming.

2 Likes

Oh so you mean playing against a master widow player who can pop your head from across the map will make me a better player? I am 1/6 of the team. Even if I change my play style and the team loses that does not help me 1 bit.

3 Likes

Isn’t that what a Widow is supposed to do anyways? That’s her kit. Just because Silver players hit 1 out of their 5 shots and you manage to survive because she missed does not mean that you will survive against someone who can actually aim.

I get that it is frustrating and you end up feeling like the worst player in the world. I’ve had such matches too. Being headshot the moment I respawn to being held in spawn for the remaining of the match and being spawncamped.

My actual point is this. Even an OWL Widow cannot headshot you when you are behind a wall. She might headshot you once you decide to move from that particular wall but that has more to do with her understand of the map itself and where to point her corsshair rather than aim alone.

If you would take some time to actually look at the replays from her perspective you would see how easy of a target you were for her. That particular Widow might not have even been a GM Widow, but maybe someone 1 or 2 elos above you.

I am personally a horrible Widow, but I tend to get kills by simply waiting for you to come into my crosshair and those who do are the ones who either stand still or run in a straight line or as support are trying to save their tanks who are as good as dead but simply did not die physically, yet but they do in 2 secs or so.

In my matches if the enemy is running a Widow, for me she is an OWL Widow (even tho she actually is not) and I try to keep that in mind and avoid her sightlines until she is either dead or for some reason switches off or until the game ends.

2 Likes

True, but I think, for lower ranks at least, it’s incredibly more difficult. Trying to improve over better skilled players is one thing, but when your comp is 5v6/4v6, it becomes really unfair and more difficult to climb up the ranks

3 Likes

It would not be bad to learn from slightly higher skilled players. But going against plat, diamond, masters is not helpful. All it leads to is extremely tilted players who then throw in an attempt to get said players out of bronze.

2 Likes

You get 5vs6/4vs6 in matches where there are no Smurfs as well.

Look, when people want to throw or get tilted they will throw or get tilted irregardless of the fact whether someone is Smurfing or not.

I was actually talking about situations in the long run, not the match you are currently playing.

And you cannot tell me that in every single game you play at every moment of the day each day there is a Smurf in your elo making your OW life a hell.

You will never be able to prevent people from throwing, leaving matches early or trolling. Ever, even if Smurfs were to be eradicated. Smurfs are not always at fault for why a match ended up being a loss. Sure it seems like it when you actually do lose due to a Smurf but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Everything that actually bothers you when it comes to your teammates in lower elo ends up being less of a problem the higher you go up the ranks. Throwers, Smurfs, cheaters, trolls will not cease to exist once you reach GM but you will see them less and less. Those people that pi* you off are the same people who are frustrated about the same thing you are. The only difference might be that they may be frustrated in a different way but the core of it remains the same.

What can you learn from people in your elo who keep doing the same thing over and over and keep dying to that same thing over and over again no matter how much you or someone else would tell me them that maybe their way is not always the right way? Seriously what can you learn? The only thing one could learn is to not do what they do.

Did you think that maybe everyone else who ranked up learned to do this or that or not do this or that because they simply woke up one day with the knowledge of what to do or not to do? That it came to them in their dream? I did not know I was doing certain wrongs until I actually got punished for it. I thought I was doing good, I was doing it the way it is supposed to be done until I got proven otherwise.

There is a difference between you watching a VOD review of a random Silver player on Youtube or Twitch and listening to what they did wrong, what they should do or not do and it actually happening to you in your game and you being taught “live” so to say.

2 Likes

I disagree. I think you should abuse whatever gets value in your rank, even if it’s something that won’t work in a higher elo. That is what smurfs do. If you know the enemy widow can’t hit any shots then you shouldn’t respect her like she is Carpe and hide behind a wall the whole time. If you can survive in the open while healing your team then there is no reason not to until you climb high enough where it doesn’t work anymore. Make your opponents earn your respect instead of giving it to them for free.

1 Like

I agree, to an extent, and yes that is exactly what Smurfs do but those Smurfs are people who have been in Bronze, Silve, Gold etc. and are now let us say Diamond or Master’s at best and they know how to play in all of those elos. They can afford to disrespect their enemies because they know how to play and adjust once they surpass the elo they are currently smurfing in. People who have never been higher that the current elo they are playing in do not.

That is not something you can say for someone who has never see any other elo apart from Bronze, Silver and Gold.

I am going to take myself as an example here. I know how to play in Bronze, Silver and Gold, but I do not know how to play in Plat, Diamond and above because I was never there. If I as a Gold player would be smurfing in Bronze I would disrespect my enemies and their inability to hit shots and would use it and would not get used to using it while ranking up since I know what to expect when reaching Silver again and then getting back to Gold where I originally am.

I was actually talking about things in the long run and learning good habits that will serve you in the long run. Not hard to disrespect anyone who is below you, especially if you know and have played in higher elos for the majority of your OW career. All those unranked to GM are all about that and all of them say on their stream “yeah I can do that because this is Gold, if it was GM I would have been dead by now.”

They know how it is in Gold and in GM, I only know how it is in Bronze, Silver and Gold, not how it is in Plat and above so if I were to train myself to disrespect every one of my enemies and got lucky, for example, and would rank up by doing that I would get into an elo where I would be reported for throwing by playing the way that I am used to because I disrespected the enemy and got punished for it. That is how GM’s notice a boosted account in their matches in the first minute of gameplay. Getting rid of bad habits is much harder than adopting new ones. I started playing this game in 2018 and I still in spite of my best efforts find myself, without knowing doing the same mistakes I did back when I first started playing. I have definitely gotten better at not doing it and doing smth better but some days, somehow those bad habits still come to light.

Train and play and learn for the elo you want to get into not for the elo you are currently in is what I am trying to say.

The same comparison can be made to any other game you have played before, like let us say Skyrim or the Witcher. I know both of those games by heart so every time I start a new game I know what to expect and know with what I can get away with, which is not something that can be said about someone who has started playing those for the very first time and are only like in the middle so they play it in a cautious manner since they do not know how strong the next boss is going to be or what they can expect by moving forward.

Plus with the amount of Smurfs going around nowadays you never know (at the beginning of the game) whether you are facing a GM Widow, a completely new player Widow or a Widow who is the same elo as you are but only on a new account. Better safe than sorry then :smiley: Keep your butt to the wall and put your head to the ground the moment you hear those Widow shots :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes, it is hard, but not impossible, so there is no excuse for not learning and not trying harder with what you have. Everybody had same problem when they were at your rank, but it is self-fixing as soon as you dedicate yourself to a game right way.The only excuse for being bronze could be : actual disabilities, very bad PC.

Well, I was speaking on the general sense that getting matched on a team where a person or two decide not to even try is more prevalent in the lower ranks, making it more difficult to climb and improve unless you join a group (which then begs the question, “if you need a group in order to climb out of the lower ranks, then there is a massive flaw in the fundamental development of the game?”.
You cannot necessarily blame all the time when the odds are against the said player. Now of course, some people aren’t simply used to the functionality of the game mechanics in the lower ranks, and I would think that many people belong in their respective ranks, but nobody can deny that within these lower ranks, the chances of leavers/uncooperative players/smurfs increases immensely.

I agree. You are right, it is more prevalent in lower ranks than higher ones.

Do you know why?

Because lower ranks are more inclined to blame their teammates and everything else on the fact that the match was lost. DPS did not kill, Tanks did not Tank, supports did not heal, etc. It is always everyone else’s fault but never yours. Like always, literally, always. It has become some sort of a mantra in low ranks. It became a tradition. One player did it for the first time sometimes in the past, then others saw it and followed it and made it their religion to throw and be toxic in low ranks. People leave low rank matches because someone picked a hero they do not like, because someone at some point in the match did not heal them, because a Rein failed to block a shatter once or twice, etc. and because people are so arrogant that they think that they are way too better than the people they get on their team. The reason it does not happen that much in higher ranks is not only because those people got better at the game itself but because those people went through the same things everyone else is going through in low ranks; because they too were the ones who were toxic or left games because they did not like someone’s pick or whatever but eventually realized that that is not the correct way to approach things. So basically every time a low rank player complains how the System is against them there is another player reaching a higher rank by actually surpassing all of those things and discovering the “fountain of youth” of OW.

I’ve been there done that. Low ranks like to play victim a lot, how they are the ones being ignored by Blizzard and how Blizzard purposefully skews their matches etc. People see a Gold Rein playing like a Gold Rein and call it handicapping. People throw a fit when their “hero of choice” gets nerfed and call it “Blizzard does not care about low ranks”.

Just because you (not you personally, but you in general) are incapable to use a hero to their full potential does not meant someone else cannot.

And btw, the heroes one plays in low elo do not have different times on their cooldowns, damage dealt or damage blocked, fall off damage etc. than those same heroes being played in a higher rank. Each and every role and hero is the same throughout every rank. Just because low elo fail to see why and how someone is better on a certain map or in a certain comp than someone else, and just because low elos have never heard of walls or cover does not mean low elos are purposefully being targeted for having “the worst matches possible” on purpose.

3 Likes

You put a lot of blame on the shoulders of the creators and less on the people who play the game… Poor behavior is a community issue.

That said… Just as they implemented role queue because people couldn’t be trusted to work together, Blizz will likely be forced (some day, or the game dies :joy:) to take action against entitled trolls.

And people wonder why we can’t have nice things around here… :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I swear to God when RQ was first implemented I saw it as a way of “well since you all cannot play nice all on your own” mommy and daddy had to intervene to make it fair for everyone else on the playground.

3 Likes

Yes. You will learn how to use cover and concealment and the difference between the two, unless you just switch your brain off.

2 Likes

I am low rank and enjoy playing against better players. But I find it ruins the game when a couple of teammates refuse to play as a team because they are standing far away from any purposeful action and saying “hello” to the other team the entire game to stay low rank.
Teamwork and team strategy help a person improve. Teamwork is real fun and enjoyment. Throwers remove the joy of working as a team. If you don’t want to play a team game, go play a game made for individuals. Let us enjoy a team game that was built for that.

3 Likes