Why was hog hook insta-kill combo brought back?

It’s really not. It’s just Sigma being a little too versatile. He is a main tank and an off tank in one hero. He doesn’t need to choose between shielding and damaging either, and his more obvious dps counters aren’t seeing much play (Mei and Doomfist). So he is “the pick” right now. You want a Sigma on your team. The other tank doesn’t matter as much, you probably just don’t want it to be Winston.

True, Sigma is the lynchpin for double shield ATM.

Man, I miss bunker comps. At least those feel winnable, double shield is just tedious.

No, but they made it 100000x easier now that he pulls people in closer. It’s fairly hard to not one shot a 250 hp hero or less with it now. Especially 200 hp heroes.

Pulling in half a meter closer is what made the biggest difference.

Oh yeah I forgot about that buff.

1 Like

Yes…you could say I’m aware of that.

That said, I wouldn’t really categorize reliability vs pure RNG, as “easy” vs “difficult”.

That’s like using a gambling machine is a “skill”.

I don’t think hog is op or anything, but what skill i hardly have time on hog but i can consistently one shot nowadays. Wasn’t like this before all the buff nerf buff hoopla.

It feels cheaper.

It’s 30% faster shooting, 1 more ammo, and while the cooldown is 2s longer, it now starts when thrown instead of when its completely done, so depending on the hook distance the cooldown is equivalent to a 6-7s cooldown of launch hook. And it’s definitely not 70% less damage lol.

Hog used to be able to oneshot a D.va mech with a discord

1 Like

Discord used to be significantly stronger. Hog did not lose 70% damage. Also I think that’s just straight up untrue. At launch he did 9 damage per pellet and 25 pellets per shot, for a total of 225 damage. There’s no way he was one shooting a dva mech even with discord. Scratch that, if he lands every single pellet as a headshot with max strength discord, he could.

Actually it’s not. They buffed Hook to bring in the targets a little closer because with the pattern, bloom, and random hero models many heros could not be combo’d.

So when they did that it essentially brought back the combo BUT the pattern and bloom remain. So this means outside that Hook range hogs guns spread reduce the amount of damage he can do in his optimal range.

The old randomness of his gun sometimes sucked but it was far more effective. Now it’s more consistent dmg but its less damage. This is amplified when you also remember he also received a fire rate nerf and ammo nerf.

Yup, people complain about Hog so much but as a Hog player and tank main I pay extra attention to enemy Hogs. I count ammo and watch his Hook arm. He swings his Hook arm back in a very exaggerated motion so jumping behind corner will break Hook even if it lands or using a defensive ability. Counting ammo also knows how vulnerable Hog is. Pushing in when a Hog has 1 clip means he is no real danger, reload takes 2 sec and add another 2+ sec if he needs to take a breather.

It’s really not. It’s not being played outside top Elo’s and even there it’s not dominate. It exists and people have an issue with that which I find crazy.

If Hog can’t one-shot squishies he is useless garbage. Idk what you guys want here.

Would you guys feel better if Hog were put into the damage category? How about if they reduced the range on the hook by 5 meters and buffed him else where? Would that be better? Like what do you even want? For him to just be trash?

2 Likes

The correct question is: why does hog even have a 1hko combo?

He’s a threat tank. Tanks have no burst, not life threatening burst anyway. Hog fills that missing hole for the tank category. This makes him an effective threat and shield breaker.

In a game where half the dps are flankers, having a deadly peeler comes in handy.

I would rather have the old hog back, shield break and potential-but-hard instagib. He was bad, but shield nerfs and some anti-heal denial option buff can make him ok. Current hog is just a hook bot, no skill required in the instagib part, and way less counterplay.

They could do that and people would still be complaining about getting hooked from Narnia. :roll_eyes: Cause it’s easier to complain then be aware of your surroundings for those type of people.

2 Likes

It was never instant kill. There are heroes that can break the combo before he can get it off. Just had to be confident with the hero and know when to do what. FFS All Mei has to do is hold down the Ice Block keybind, and just as the Hook ends, she’d Block. Junkrat, if you’re fast enough can throw and blow a concussive mine. Pretty sure I’ve done the Mei trick with Moira’s Fade. So it was never “Instant Death” for some heroes.

Id rather old hog just cuz i dislike playing against the hero, and he was worse than now. But losing 1 shot, and having a slower rate of fire in exchange for a much more consistent 1 shot is definitely a stronger hog.

If you just look at the stats Hog is at his weakest point atm, he is good becauce of the meta. His damage buf got reverted very fast too and onehitting squischis is the way Hog creates space. If you are able to survive his hook reliable Hog is compeltetely useless

I thought it never left for heroes that was 200 health, but I think at one point he couldn’t do it to 250 hp heroes e.g Reaper.