Why Sombra needs buffs

I mean that’s a pretty bad argument. “It’s already trash so who cares if it gets even more trash?”…
Do we also argue the reverse then? “X hero is already so good, who cares if we buff it by another 10%?” :sleepy:

Going from bad, to bottom of the barrel, to getting buried, to six feet under, to deeper than six feet under. At some point it really doesn’t make a difference anymore. What’s the difference between -1000 and -1500, really?

If you stop using “I must win!” as a reason to pick Sombra and just go with the “I will have fun!” mindset, you’ll find that she’s actually fine.

Because hero balancing isn’t binary. If you nerf an already bad hero it becomes even more difficult to play with. I’m not sure why you think “If a hero is already bad it doesn’t matter what happens to them” is a real argument…

“She’s fine if you don’t care” is another not so great argument when it comes to hero balancing…

5 Likes

Or you’re facing Brigitte, who might return to popularity with the armor buff.

Sombra lost pretty much all viability with Brigitte’s initial release, alongside Reaper, Tracer, Roadhog, etc. While there were other factors involved in that (e.g. instant stun, instant barrier for anti-hack), small targets having armor on demand was the part that really made Sombra feel useless.

The armor changes are definitely significant for Sombra’s weapon in terms of how much damage it will block, but that doesn’t concern me directly. She was okay with 5-point armor in the pre-Brigitte days, when everyone with armor also had a giant head to drill bullets into. My bigger concern is that Brigitte will become prevalent enough, with strong enough armor, to essentially ban Sombra from the game again—especially now that she puts out even more of it than at release.

No so much.

Lets take Masters / GM for instance. Great communication. STILL bad win rates.

You can’t dismiss it as “just communication problems” so easily.

Their mains are just wanting to get to near average win rates. Like, they are NOT asking for OPness, they are asking to buffed to average.

2 Likes

Honestly some nerf reverts and tweaks would make her fine. Or yet another rework.

I do agree she does need something though.

• base speed up to 6m/s (Genji/Tracer speed)
  • purple timer skulls on hacked targets
  • wall hacks for teammates on hacked targets within a 15m radius
  • 150 hp gets replaced with 150 shields
  • translocator cooldown reduced to 5 seconds

These would bring her in a way better spot without making her more “unfun” to play against.

1 Like

So Sombra is going to go from doing 100dps to 80dps against some of the health pool of some characters? The horror. If only she could compensate for this by being able to turn off their shields, mobility or healing.

This. Play Sombra for fun. If you’re not playing for fun, Sombra may not be your best choice. Also, if you’re not playing for fun, you’re doing this whole ‘video game’ thing wrong.

Tell that to the thousands of streamers and professional gamers that dedicate 15 hours a day to the game. Video games are an E sport for many and there is nothing wrong with being someone who takes the game seriously.

Taking a thing seriously and having fun while doing it are not mutually exclusive. Many, many people compete and enjoy themselves simultaneously.

I think it is a bad balancing argument, but it is how I approached Sombra

I figured I’d fall in Sr till I was in games where being more skilled on a weaker hero was balanced.

I did it because Sombra was fun, and when you just don’t care about Sr she is a lot of fun to play.

I ended up an entire rank and a half down before I stabilized, which kinda says a lot about her balanced.

2 Likes

This is the meta that she is technically supposed to counter…

1 Like

I take it seriously enough to not waste the time of other that take it seriously. I play to win. I am not one of those guys who makes 2000 mistakes gets called out on it and says “Its just a game”. I look in the mirror constantly, watch my own replays and look for things to improve.

If you’d rather not have fun when you play, I guess that’s your choice. Good luck.

The Shanghai Dragons won their very first match against Boston with DDing on Sombra before the armor nerfs. DDing put her on the map in OWL and drove the bandwagon.

Taking the game seriously and having fun aren’t mutually exclusive.

This statement is your opinion and the opinion is very flawed. YOU cant tell someone that taking an ESPORT seriously is wrong.

Please comment on the words I have actually used rather than the words you have in your head. I never told anyone not to take the game seriously. I just said to have fun.

I personally think that she’s where she needs to be except for the fact that other dps outshine her right now.
I’d like to see other dps nerfs to even the playing field a bit more then address her from there.