Why people prefer higher "skill" heroes

New players can’t exactly just pick up Widowmaker and play her at max potential. Gotta start somewhere.

3 Likes

20m Earthshatter that charges way too fast and only reliably countered by himself.

180* frontal cone attack that’ll 3 shot most of the cast.

300 damage charge - too much against Orisa and Zarya.

No one tell this guy the reason Reinhardt’s have high sensitivity.

2 Likes

I feel my input on this comment might be too biased. But i think it’s super easy. You don’t even need to use Shieldbash to get value out of it. Just holding on to it keeps flankers away due to it’s sheer volatility. Though admittedly, the waves of nerfs have made her less of a threat.

That’s true. But the reason you wouldn’t play certain heroes against her is because of how consistent she is. There was not a chance of outplaying her as certain heroes, because there’s no margin of error. Unlike, say, Widowmaker. You can dive a Widowmaker and receive a close quarters headshot, but that’s not something that discourages you from doing so.

Yeah, they tuned her down to a reasonable spot balance wise. And they changed the ability with the purpose of being unreliable. That’s what i’m trying to say. High potential shouldn’t come paired with consistency or reliability.

1 Like

thats mechanical skill, utilizing the kit given to the hero at its utmost potential

So heroes are just supposed to stop being played after the first couple months? Get out of here man. This is none sense.

I see, I thought mechanical skill was just aiming.

2 Likes

Wrong.

Since Overwatch is a team game, things are a LOT more complex than simple mechanical skill.

Mechanical skill is simply the only skill in the game that doesn’t depend on your teammates to get value. Therefore a lot of people put a lot of stock into it because it gives them a sense of control that other skills do not.

Map knowledge? Your map knowledge doesn’t matter if your teammates don’t have enough map knowledge of their own to make sense out of your calls.

Gamesense? Your gamesense doesn’t matter if your teammates don’t have enough gamesense of their own to make use of your call info. If you warn them that there’s probably an enemy bastion around the corner, and they walk into it anyway, your gamesense had zero value due to no fault of yours.

Ultimate economy? Makes zero difference unless your ult can carry the entire game by itself if your teammates spend the game wasting theirs.

Positioning? You can have the best positioning in the world. None of it is going to matter if the rest of your team is getting killed because they’re positioning themselves poorly.

Mechanical Aim? Headshots give a satisfying “dink” when you land them and you will get more kills. The feedback you get is immediate and satisfying. And you will get a pretty, shiny gold medal for your efforts that let you talk down to the rest of your team, even if they were doing things correctly and you were off on your own taking duels and contributing nothing.

Mechanical aim removes responsibility from your play in a team game, and can help you climb to higher ranks since it can lead to player advantages even if you do everything else wrong.

That is why people worship mechanical aim.

9 Likes

But high skill heroes aren’t better by default, most times they’re worse and it’s up to the individual player to really make them a better option than the easier one.

This is true for many heroes where say for instance like 15% of the playerbase is actually doing well on Widow or Tracer compared to the other dps heroes. That is fair and how it should be.

Ana may need a slight reduction in her nanoboost heal and Mercy/Moira may need tiny buffs but at the highest levels of the game Ana should outshine other options as the players skill level can actually match her potential output. People that can’t play Ana or can only play the easier skilled options aren’t really in the same caliber as everyone else around them.

4 Likes

I didn’t say that, there are also niche places for these heroes to outplay the higher skilled heroes if the whole team is working together for it. Even GM players can’t beat a proper ‘protect the king’ Bastion strategy, it’s just that usually these strategies utilize too much game sense, communication, and teamwork for ladder to ever implement.

If high skill heroes are supposed to be better by default, they better be crappier at the lower ranks, and gold isn’t high rank. I don’t want to see Ana until the top .1% if she’s supposed to be better than Mercy by default.

idk, he never seems overpowered to me. After being buggy for so long, I’m glad he’s in a good place and strong now, as a main deathball shield tank should be. I just think we need more options and alternatives to him right now which we don’t have. Orisa isn’t as good and because so much emphasis is being put on Rein, people are misconstruing that with him being overpowered or something.

I just don’t see or feel it, and while I’m a big numbers nerd and always refer to the numbers, I really think his current high pickrate and popularity are because he is pretty much the only reliable front line shield tank. We need someone in the game that can rival Rein, maybe not everywhere but he or she should be good enough where on certain maps people say x is better than Rein here, let’s go with that. Wishful thinking. Who knows.

Tanks are good. He is by far the best of them.

That’s a problem.

Easier heroes are stronger at the lower to mid ranks. Nobody seems to mind that as it’s perfectly reasonable.

But when a harder hero is stronger at the higher ranks to balance that out it’s a problem, because?

Diamond isn’t high rank, its average. If you’re average, you don’t deserve to be doing well on a ‘high’ skill hero.

Mid Gold is average. Diamond is most definitely not.

1 Like

I agree with kong here. Every hero should be about as effective as any other hero at the top. At best a harder hero should be effective in more places than an easier hero. I’m fine with difficulty buying flexibility.

But the last thing difficulty should buy you is effectiveness. Difficult heroes should not be “better” than other heroes.

3 Likes

More reasons why TF2 is always better.
In overwatch I always prefer Pharah or Junkrat. Why use hitscans when you could utilize projectile explosives for bodyshots, airshots, corner splash damage, explosive mines, explosive mine traps, concussion nades, bank shots, explosive tire wheel that does a lot of damage and easy to get depending on damage dealt, and rocket barrage.

1 Like

Except it’s apparently not since they dumpstered Junkrat above silver to balance him in Bronze.

1 Like

You keep using this strawman, they’re not better by default, they’re worse. You don’t have to pick Ana to win in gold, Ana actually has the worst winrate out of all the supports in gold.

She has the worst winrate in all ranks actually though in some ranks it’s due to how often she’s picked compared to the other choices. In Bronze-Plat Ana and Moira have similar pickrates and Moira has way better winrates. Ana is a bad choice in gold and lower ranks statistically. If nanoboost gets nerfed and Mercy/Moira get buffs the gap is going to widen even further.

1 Like