Why mercy mains are so toxic?

3 Likes

This is flagged btw…

1 Like

Everything I said in that thread is as subjective and meaningless as when he said it here, which is the point I’m making.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not a debate when you resort to flinging insults and ignoring things you don’t like.

5 Likes

Like how he ignored a huge portion of the replies :joy: (including mine). Don’t know why he bothered replying if he was just going to give up.

I’m going to give you a serious answer.

It’s not “Mercy mains” in specific that are being toxic on the forum. That’s just an idea. And if an idea is popular enough, it tends to stick around.

You see this happening all the time in the world. “Cops are corrupt.” “Politicians are evil.” These are not necessarily true facts, most of the time it’s only a minority of the time. But these idea are so common that people believe it because they’ve heard it enough times to think it’s true.

You can probably guess where I’m going with this. The idea that “Mercy mains” are somehow different any other player isn’t supported by any facts either. It’s curious to think how it even started.

But people have a tendency to blame something for whatever is wrong. “It’s the government’s fault,” etc. You hear this all the time. And again, because you hear it enough you begin to believe it. “Mercy mains” has become such a concept.

In reality, you have the opportunity to discuss any other hero at any time other time. And it’s usually a product of confirmation bias that you even believe it’s “Mercy mains” in specific.

However, the reason that these threads get so much attention is because of the game’s culture. If you go into a Quick Play game, you’ll very rarely find people volunteering to support.

So most people who begin to main Mercy are the people who wanted to help the team work and likely started playing Mercy out of necessity, and these are the people being used as a scapegoat.

It wouldn’t be any different if it was “Ana mains,” “Zenyatta mains” or “Lucio mains,” you’d still get the same rise out of people. Because it is a controversial thing to villainize support players. “Why are the players that are constantly healing me so toxic?”

People don’t like when you lay blame on the players that support them, so you get a strong division between posters:

1. Those who believe the evil exists and insists on that it does.
  2. Those who are upset with you scapegoating the support group.

In the end, nothing prevented you from just making a thread and talking about the issues you wanted to talk about. It’s that you have to begin opening the thread by making baseless accusations towards players to get a rise out of them, and it works, but it also tends to devolve the thread into more emotionally-charged responses that are less constructive.

The next time you blame “Mercy mains” for something, simply ask yourself one question: Have you actually seen any evidence supporting this idea? If not, you might just be feeding a negative stereotype.

20 Likes

Ah okay. Tbh I don’t find any of y’alls comments meaningless but then again I’m also not personally invested in the mercy debate (I actually like playing her, but I’m not on a side or anything.) Pretty much everything we say here is subjective too, so I can see where you’re coming from.

1 Like

The thing is he made a thread before this one to insinuate that Mercy players are bad and not skilful. That’s why most of us are upset.

I just wanna say that symm’s rework is uite successful. I have played all versions of symmetra and I enjoyed all of them. (this one’s LMB is kinda bad, but its fine by me)

ye and false report things they dont like
or just being toxic to genji and tracer players

That’s one thing I hate about this forum, a big chunk of people take the skill of a hero too seriously.

That’s a really good post Bogrim.

If there were more people like you in the forums,
this would be a friendlier place for everyone.

5 Likes

“False report”. Did I not just give a reason why it’s flaggable?

Stop, you’re supposed to be toxic and false report them for being a genji player!

4 Likes

i dont think the problem is that some heroes r skilled and some r not
i think that ppl problems is that a skilled hero is more bad then a “unskilled” hero
thats why ppl dont like how brig can 1v1 most dps heroes she is less skilled then genji or tracer and can easily win a 1v1 vs them

where
there is no reason to flag this post

It’s Trolling
This post is inflammatory, extraneous or upsetting.

This thread is inflammatory and upsetting. These 2 points can also be used to describe his previous thread.

4 Likes

Stop trying to 1v1 a Brig as Genji/Tracer? :thinking:

Oh the op’s hypocrisy :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I’m not talking about skill level, I’m saying people ignoring opinions cause ‘X character is easy’. I play heroes based on if I like them even if they are seen by the community as weak or ‘OP’.

That’s not true tho, most DPS heroes can out range her. Even Genji can, Tracer can kill a Brig if she can bait out the bash[same tactic can be applied to all heroes against Brig].

This is going to sound mean but the problem to me looks like more of a player skill issue then a Brigitte one. I play a lot of fighters and use that mentality with this game as well. It’s either I will adapt to new heroes or buffs/nerfs, will still voice my displeasure.

1 Like