Why Mercy feels so bad

How many actually do?

Valk Flight is a hit with a lot of people but, it’s a miss with a fair number.

Single Target res as far as I’m aware isn’t actually that popular.

Chain beams is also of mixed popularity last I knew.

Valk’s currently on the long side ult wise and most Mercy comments/poll responses I’ve seen either want a big bang or a medium length ult.

I doubt the current Mercy is the ideal Mercy for even 10% of people that play the character. That doesn’t mean that everyone wants a revert tho.

You also don’t necessarily have to obliterate the current Mercy to get a different Mercy.

It’s entirely possible for Blizzard to add a new hero with a near identical base kit that has a different ult/other abilities.

Some of us did suggest this method for implementing Valk back when the rework was on the PTR:

Ex: (Some grammar/spelling errors)

Personally, I think the PTR Mercy might work better as a new Hero rather than just replacing Mercy as lots of people like each of the heros and dislike the other. If either PTR Mercy or Mercy is too annoying to a segment of the population they could be banned from their matches to allow for maximized enjoyment as Casuals might dislike the PTR Mercy and Competitive players seem to generally dislike the current Mercy.

TLDR: I don’t think the new Mercy is balanced. I don’t enjoy playing her much. I don’t enjoy playing against her. She is fun to watch. As lots of people do like her it might be better to make her into an additional healer instead of just replacing Mercy with her.

It wouldn’t be cheap but, they are the ones that made the design that ultimately whiffed on designing something that could be balanced while also managing to line up with what most of the existing player base for the character wanted.

They did something similar with both Sym and Torb where they whiffed on part of the initial audience but due to the characters low popularity they ended up in roughly the same spot via picking up a few more players that previously disliked the character.

Not sure if it’s the same for Baja but, when he hurt himself he was more of a mid range hero due to the self damage. The change made it so the character was frequently played closer.

1 Like

Going from 20 to 19 changed almost all of his damage breakpoints (ttk with headshots/ even more without and factoring in misses) also Dva got buffed at the same time

1 Like

I don’t want to be that guy, because I love Mercy and want to see her in the best place possible, but the only time I find healing too difficult to do with Mercy is when I’m solo healing. Sure, you can solo heal with her, but ideally you don’t want to solo heal with any of the support roster. Mercy isn’t an exception. Get a second healer and see how much easier it is for her to balance damage boost, rez, and greedy “battle mercy” ults!

sHE iS PerFEcTly viaBLe AnD BalAncED

off topic. choose another response

6 Likes

Mercy feels good to play, for me

wow guys awesome another mercy thread

Why arent you replying to the person who straight up advocated for buffing her instead of them trying to express how mercy could have a better feedback loop so that you can better estimate your impact and feel better when you suceed? For that is how you make a good feeling character, no?

you had to think more back then…now you kinda just spam away without a care in the world…he can feel cheap

Plus: Valkyrie is a swiss army knife ult, does everything but hardly great at it.

1 Like

…What ability of Mercy’s did the devs take away? I’m only aware of them adding res to e when the reworked her ult.

Roadhog went from decent pick to dumpster fire after his 33% dps nerf

1 Like

awkwardly stares at tactical visor

3 Likes

This is exactly it. I remember very early in the development of Heroes of the Storm, the devs described heroes that do too much (consistently) as, “kitchen sink” heroes.

This is a design issue with Mercy – I hope they address the design flaws that cause this.

No one was arguing she wasn’t? You can be balanced and viable but still feel bad.

1 Like

not this.
faster ult gain = morep pl going battle mercy

valk healing is why she got her normal healing nerfed…
valk tethers need NERFED not buffed.

explain why devs decided she needed the 10 hp/s buff in 1.0 then? and why it was never changed until recently? :thinking:

mercy is a primary healer w/o the non ult healing output of a primary while not havign the team support that off healers bring. (rez is not this give nthat it requries a death and preventing deaths is what you want)

valk as an ult is flawed on someone like mercy. It breaks her position as a strong consistent ST healer.
yes, the theme fits her to a T, but while efefctive it limits her while also providing a lot benefits (not all of which you want on a primary healer who is suppsoed ot be anti violence by lore…)

valk shouldnt of been her ult. its effect (tether effect and flying) shouldda been E as short duration medium/long cd. gives her more skill to use effectively and would open ult to be either some version of rez with or without tweaks or something else entirely.

Step 1: Don’t soloheal.
Step 2: Your other healer heals while you res/dmg boost.
Step 3: Problem solved.

1 Like

Damage boost= kill enemies faster

Less enemies= less damaged teammate=less healing

1 Like

pretty much this ^

Mercy works great in a dive/DPS heavy setup because she can shorten the TTK (time to kill) of the divers. Thus they take less damage bc enemy DPS and supports die faster. I even managed to solo heal a 3 DPS (Hanzo, Genji, Reaper) and Winston/Dva comp in mid diamond during my placements and had over 1K dmg amped in all 3 of those games.
The only comp Mercy struggles to heal is a 3-4 tank comp. The only time Mercy has troubles keeping up with healing/dmgboosting is when the enemy team has 3 supports or a Brigitte.
It’s not Mercy’s meta, once the meta changes, she will be able to focus more on dmg boost again.

Only bc the other healers heal too much currently doesn’t mean Mercy needs to heal more. The others need some sort of toning down. Moira being the only exception because she can do nothing BUT heal.

The only healer who should be able to solo heal massively IS Moira, since she can literally do nothing else (other than succing a bit). Neither Ana nor Mercy should have the capabilities to reliably solo heal.
As soon as you have a 2nd healer, you CAN definitely focus more on dmg boost, even if it’s “just” a Zen.

They didn’t take any ability away, unless you count the ability to mass res. What they did was drop her skill ceiling on the players’ toes with a bloated ult that makes her play like auto pilot.

Valkyrie is what needs to be changed. It clashes with her kit and is poorly designed.

then why do people yell at mercys to switch in comp? maybe ana and moira healing need to be nerfed