Why Mass Rez won’t come back

Yup! People seem to ignore the fact that revive was (1) risky and FAR from a guaranteed thing (2) could easily be blown on 1 ally by mistake during a revive meant to handle 2+ people.

The ability fundamentally was very risky and took a lot to pull off a 2+ man res.

1 Like

mass rez being removed had nothing to do with where mercy was a character…which mercy mains will tell you was a bad place…it was changed because blizzard didnt like the mechanic…spin what they said however you want…at the end of the day it doesnt matter who they agreed with…THEY decided they didnt like it and so they got rid of it…

they couldve easily tweaked it…they couldve made changes…they couldve done a hundred different things to it…no…they got RID of it…that should tell you something

it was a bad a ability…same thing happened to scatter arrow

2 Likes

Everything you said is true and why they removed it. Except for the part where you say that it wasn’t a good strategy for winning. Coordinated teams would use her to turn a 5v6 into an 11v4 which was the best way to win the game because you could use the initial 5v6 to bait out multiple enemy ultimates and then negate all of them with one mercy ult. Which is where my claim that it was just OP comes from.

Grav-dragon? Grav-blade? Blizzard-high-noon? Nana-visor? Bei-blade? Simple ult-spam?

All negated by “die in a pile and I’ll GA in and rez!”

Can mass rez be balanced? Yeah.

On mercy? No. Not if you don’t want to destroy her mobility.

IMO it would work fine on a reinhardt or hog-style tank (as opposed to winston, hammond, or d.va who all have very high mobility) as your job would be to stay with your team and protect them, and the rest of your kit would probably be as simple as “I don’t die yet” with your ult being this huge incentive for the enemy team to kill you first (which when combined with the rest of your kit would give your team a massive advantage) without enabling things like “everybody die in a pile!”

I would love to see mass rez brought back. Just not on Mercy. She’s too mobile.

It was the only ultimate in the entire game who required the participation of your teammates being dead on X spot of the map.

Also I don’t know how your people had fun with mass ress because back in time people ;

1. Yelled at the Mercy for don’t use ress
  2. Yelled at Mercy for asking to die on point
  3. Yelled at Mercy for hiding
  4. Yelled at Mercy for don’t hide

It was unfun for both parts and poorly designed for the health of the game specially for 2 CP maps and of course the attack side.

I remember the last point of Anubis being almost unwinnable because enemy Mercy could appear from both sides and ress behind walls.

Yes it does.

spawn -> hunt -> organize -> attack -> spawn

Throwing in fictional, blown up numbers, just to have a point doesn’t help your credibility.

1 Like

They’re not fictional.

Go in with a 5v6. Get 2 picks before the ult-spam kills everyone.

GA and Mass rez then stay with your team.

5 + 5 + 1 = 11

6 - 2 = 4

Post rez the fight is effectively 11 v 4 if one of the two picks was the enemy mercy.

It will not come back because devs want to mercy to be engaging, mass rez encouraged mercy to not participate in the battle so she do not get killed by nano blade or get caught by gravity which if happened her ult will be useless so hiding was the best choice because she will get targeted first before enemies trying to do anything ¯_(ツ)_/¯, temporary rez is better, it make mercy more engaging, mercy 2.0>mercy 1.0

inb4 remove invulnrabilty and add cast time, hmmm have you heard with zarya bubble

1 Like

“Unfun” is not a valid reason.

That said, I’m starting to think res should be removed from the game. I have no problem with res at all, infact I would like to see a total revert. But the community consensus is that everyone hates mass res now… even though it was never complained about before the rework.

I say, if the entirety of Mercy’s kit has to be as boring to play and as underwealing as it is… and she can’t be as good at healing as Ana and Moira… then it should go, because balancing her entire kit around a 30 second cooldown that’s also a 2 second self stun so DPS bads can line up headshots easier… then it’s a detriment to the character.

Get rid of it, and audit the rest of her kit to bring it in line with the other main healers and have the gameplay be fun.

1 Like

Technically, she’s the only main healer. Even Moira and Ana are dps hybrids…

She can’t be a main healer because she’s doing less than Ana and Moira. She’s an off healer now.

As some already said. The argument that it was unfun to play against is void because of the way how unfun she is to play now and how that fact is being ignored.
So many other things in the game are very unfun to paly against. In that, you can count all heroes which can stun, OHKO (Stuff which can kill you extremely fast is on the same level), knock you around and have insane movement. That involve almost all heroes in the game.

We are playing a PvP game at the end of the day, so every time an ability is killing or outplaying you, you will have less fun than the guy which won against you.
So… with that being said, in a game like OW, fair to play against goes over unfun to play against by a long shot.

Just a few examples for that are Genji, Reinhardt and Ana.
Genji is extremely unfun and frustrating to play against, but if you play smart you can hard counter him or out play him. That’s fair gameplay.
Reinhardt is a monster in CQ fights, especially if you can’t get away from him and his charge can feel very bad as well if it hits. But again, stay far away and he can’t really do anything against you. Have tons of burst dmg and CC and he is nothing. Even his charge, considerably the most fair OHKO in the game, can be avoided quite easily.
And Ana, a very strong hero which can kill almost all ult’s with Sleep dart and has by far the best healing in the game + Anti heal. Her power is still fair because it’s so hard to get value out of it.

All 3 can be frustrating and unfun to play against in mayn ways, but because they are very fair, it’s not that big of an issue.

Why is that important? Because the same was the case with Resurrect Mercy.
Healing not the best but continuative, making it good for sustain dmg.
DmgB a strong thing which needs a good amount of game understanding to use properly.
GA/AD back then very hard to utilize but also very useful.

And of course Resurrect.
Very strong but also very easy to outplay if the enemy is smart and knows what Ult economy is and quite easy to counter with AOE Ult’s.
A major part of Mass Res was very fair to play against, on the same level as the previous heroes.
She was never to strong or to weak, but just balanced. Even with invulnerability.

The only real issue it had was the fact that it had no preemptive counter play and that was something which is very easy to fix, to make once again fair.

“Unfun to paly against” is not a viable reason if the fairness is not considered.

I’d say no, the fact that the instant value mass Rez provided was too powerful. You can see how it even now, on a thirty second timer rezing 1 target with a cast time, pulls all of the power out of her kit.

She would need a heal of 30 hps a damage boost of 10% and GA moved to a 8 second CD. Then I think I’d say mass Rez could come back

Like, let rez work as her old one (but with LoS similar to EMP) but let it be applied before death and anyone killed within 2 seconds after will be revived, if not killed they are restored to full health or something like that. Would require a lot of timing from the Mercy to get right.

2 Likes

Everything in this game has counters and hard counters mass ress had none. If Genji comes from nowhere with his ult anything can kill him and make Genji loss all his ultimate.

What ability in the game could prevent a five mass ress? not even Sombra hack because is just a silence skill doesn’t stop Mercy from pressing Q after.

The only effective measure was to stagger/Camp Mercy on spawn.

Mass rez is necessary to counter one-shots or stuns that are accompanied by a quick death

Guess the riddle of what the players are complaining now? What is it that they do not find funny?
Doomfist
Brigitte
Hanzo
etc…

Did you know that Mass rez before (without invulnerability) was not frustrating to play against? Was not it something that people cried like now with brig / doomfist? only cried when devs put invulnerability.

Mass rez needs to come back now, with changes, because it’s not that it’s frustrating to play against, it’s that he needed a couple of small touches, but the whiners won.

2 Likes

Which is why people who are advocating for Mass Rez want a LoS and a cast time and with the game changed so much, there are a lot of potential counters.

1. LoS so Mercy has to literally be in the battlefield to rez, be exposed and cant rez behind walls.
  2. Cast time so she can be CCed, Lucio suffers this A LOT because of it as well, heck it has 0.8s cast time and he can still be stunned depending on the reflex and reaction of the players.
  3. TECHNICALLY, ults still counter rez. People forget that when she does rez, theyre stationary and while ‘invulnrable’ for just a few seconds, they cant move. A perfect chance to ult. I missed ulting Riptire to wipe out rezzed teams again.
  4. Hammond and Torb’s upcoming rework ult can technically counter her because it well, unless the Mercy is suicidal, she’ll die if she swoops into a minefield or molten floor.
2 Likes

I was toying around with a couple of ideas to make a preemptive Mass Rez yesterday tbh. I came up with basically what you stated and a different one where Mercy got a scalable cast time that set an AOE, anyone that dies in the AOE gets rezed.

I was also batting around a tweaked version of MR where Mercy gets granted 5 short range one man Rezes and 2 charges of GA (GA can’t be used after that), pressing Q while looking at a soul queues it for rez and pressing Q again without a target revives all queued allies.

Regardless, my point was that I agree there’s huge potential to make MR work we just need to be a little creative.

Hence why i said the only realy issue was that it had no preemptive counter play. That’s not fair and frustrating, but at the same time something which could be easily fixed with a cast time.

Aren’t people whining whenever they say they want Mass Rez back?