Why Mass Rez won’t come back

And that’s purely because it brings her team back to life. People have the thing where ”I killed them, they should stay dead”, when sometimes, that just isn’t the case. XP

8 Likes

Valkyrie is a failed ultimate (as shown by its removal before beta).
A character being unfun to play as is bad game design. Whiny players caused the failed rework to be pushed on us and ruin the game for everyone.

6 Likes

is it fair? noo, but is it fair when you get shot by a widow, or one hit by a doomfist…as someone else said a lot of things in this game arent fair

2 Likes

Makes you wonder why they added it in the first place.

Because they didn’t understand how powerful mobility was.

Nobody did.

1 Like

The value given by mass Rez doesn’t even come close to any other ultimate in the game.

I’d still support moving Rez to the ult, give it two charges so the number of rez’s Is reduced but it’s still impactful, and change her e to a resource that reduces spawn time

1 Like

Not true at all.

Mercy was at release with genji and tracer where they were undeniably dominant picks. During most of OWL at the start every team comprised of genji and tracer, yet mercy was constantly F tier.

The most (overwhelmingly so) common picks pre-rework were: Zenyatta, Lucio, Winston, D’va, Genji, Tracer (NOT MERCY she was F tier in reports very consistently!)

I even have made a thread on this subject:

So this is not true.

We had a VERY great idea how powerful mobility was.

4 Likes

I absolutely despise Tactical Visor. Why does Soldier literally get to outplay me just for pressing a button, and on most heroes in a 1v1 situation I have absolutely no chance of simply fighting back?

Does that mean he should be reworked…? No.

10 Likes

It’s true.

It’s true because, as I said, mass rez + GA was anti-pattern to the core game loop. Not OP.

Something doesn’t need to be OP to need changing, and mass rez is a prime example.

Statistically according to all the data before the rework Mass Res was balanced. She was even F-tier at the pro level because of how good they were at ult economy. Simply put it was hard for a Mercy to get any decent return with Mass Res, and it was even more of a detriment to have Mercy unless it was to pocket Pharah or Widow.

Rework hit and Mercy became an instant must pick with just about 100% pick rate because Res was no longer a risk, and it no longer took up a very important ult spot, while Valkyrie in turn made Mercy very safe against Tracer’s and Genjis. Allowing her to pocket the off support and help keep them alive in the face of a Tracer of Genji.

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter. My opinion on it’s balance doesn’t either. It was changed because it was causing anti-pattern behavior so balance didn’t matter.

2 Likes

This core game loop would boil this game down to being COD then. Where Mei, Sombra, Reinhardt and any CC ability of any nature do not belong in this core game loop. All of those abilities are disruptive and can forcefully shatter that loop.

“Oh your team got 3 picks and is up? Too bad! All of you are frozen and just got overwhelmed.”

It isn’t an antipattern in Overwatch, that is literally how Overwatch is. Many abilities disrupt and shatter that supposedly core “game loop”.

5 Likes

Wrong.

The pattern of the game is
spawn -> find enemies -> use abilities -> get killed -> spawn

The behavior that mercy players were exhibiting was

spawn -> find enemies -> withdraw from combat -> let teammates die -> GA -> big rez

The whole “withdraw from combat and let your teammates die” part was anti-pattern, and it was common enough that they felt it needed to be changed.

And as for your attack on CC, no. None of that is anti-pattern since using abilities as comeback mechanics is literally the whole reason for those abilities to exist in the first place.

Oh really you say rez is BALANCED ???
#MERCY_MAIN_BTW_2018

The “anti-pattern” behavior was caused by a SR exploit that was found where the majority of the SR weight was in her ult instead of the rest of her kit due to the sheer level of consistency she was built with.

Aside from that it was peer pressure and people yelling at them to do it. Was funny seeing that video of xQc screaming at his Mercy teammate for dying because they were not hiding since they had ult. He screamed at that Mercy player because according to him they had one job, and the team did not need them to heal, or to damage boost, that all the team needed them for was to go hide and res the team when they go down.

Though the funny thing is that same anti-pattern behavior is somehow alright when DPS players do it. When they abandon the team mid fight as they got their ults and go hide to wait for their opportune time to ult the enemy team.

9 Likes

i mean thats a strategy and also a really boring one…you know whats also boring be a smurf…and i dont see them banning or doing anything about it.

The withdraw from combat and let allies die I’ve gone over many times as it being an ineffective overhyped method to play her. That was primarily abused because people figured out more people revived = more on fire = more SR gains if win or less SR gains if lost.

That hide and let your team die pattern outside of Zarya ult was one of the most self damaging techniques one could use.

Example: Your team and enemy team both have Mercy. You deny your team healing while their Mercy heals.

Your team dies. Their team is mostly still alive because they had their primary healer with them.

Your team survives and gets a few picks and now you’re there to heal but is a dramatic delay letting the enemy team prepare for the oncoming fight and repositioning very quickly.

Now the enemy team’s Mercy revives HER team.

Guess who loses?

The hiding and reviving strategy is, as I said, logically and in practice one of the worst strategies ever for actually winning.

It still doesn’t work logically (as above), it didn’t work in game for the over 1.5 years I played her pre-rework and it doesn’t make sense. Hide and res is fundamentally not good. It’s SR gain abuse that was used to game the SR system.

6 Likes

I sometimes wonder if much of the issue with rez could have been solved by just making the rez applied before death rather than after… :thinking:

2 Likes

The fact that Rez is the only ult that can have negative value when used improperly doesn’t matter?

4 Likes

Overwatch doesn’t have a ‘core game loop’, because of the way the game is designed.

3 Likes