Why mass rez actually got removed

It was cause of owl. And also they minorly buffed it over and over instead of giving her utility, and then sledgehammer nerfed Ana.

That was before they finally resigned themselves to realize that maybe the community did want minor frequent balancing instead of major meta forced patches. If they adopted that mentality from the get go, sym may still be a support, and mercy may still have mass rez, and Mei and Ana wouldn’t have spent years 2-3 in the gutter.

Damage is already done, tho. Hopefully this mindset shift will make OW2 much better than its predecessor

are you trying to suggest that bob is a good ult?

I wasted 3.5 years of my life on this game, take it from me:

No one will listen to you or empathize with your pain about this. You are correct to look beyond what Blizzard is telling you and what morons are rejoicing over, but you are not putting your energy in a place that deserves it.

Take your passionate mind and channel it into something that makes you happy instead.

2 Likes

I had 100 hours on mass res mercy and was around 3500 or 3600 or something.
I never once got a 5 man res.

That aside, why didn’t people just get set up for a dva bomb? Or throw down a mei ult? Or get in position for a hammer down?

Grav would also look juicy…oh and Hammond’s mines?? succulent.

All they really needed to do was to remove the invulnerability on cast, add LOS, and she’d be alright. Have you seen some of the things that happen in this game? A mercy flying to a bunch of dead bodies would be child’s play.

And if that’s still not enough? Add a cast time proportional to the amount of people being brought back, discouraging hide and res, since you’d never be able to pull off a 5 man unless the enemy team is sleeping.

Then, give her a secondary ability like the pacify concept and The superjump mechanics, and boom. Mercy is all good.

Mercy

Overall, I feel like Blizz just didn’t want mass res at all, which is why they never really bothered to fix it.

2 Likes

Ana isn’t a Main Support she’s a Main Healer. <3
Ana is a Flex/Off Support.

They are not the same.
Mercy, Lucio, and Brig are all Main Supports.
Ana, Zenyatta, and Baptiste are all Flex Supports.
I don’t actually know where the heck Moira belongs because this is sorted by utility and Moira doesn’t really have ANY.

/rant

Cause it’s a terrible game mechanic period that ALSO encouraged a bad playstyle

But the first part is sufficient

Well for one, Ashe ult and Mercy are nothing alike and this comes from someone who disliked that Mercy got her mass rez removed. Bob can easily be killed or go down. More often than not, Bob kills hardly anyone unless you’re being a moron. A reaper can literally just go up to his face and kill him in 3 to 4 shots. Mercy couldn’t be stopped from rez since it turned her invincible for a few moments and she then successfully pulled it off.

However I do agree with you about the hypocrisy in this game. Why are people SURPRISED that a freaking primary healer, whose everyone will be trying to kill when pushing is hiding, when she has this huge ability? In fact I would say it’s idiotic for a Mercy to be out and the open. You get the “Oh well if Mercy would heal us then we wouldn’t need rez” but guess what. You just made the entire enemy team use all their ults or half and by the time you rez THEY HAVE NONE. That’s pretty darn smart if you ask me.

An idea I had for this problem is combine how Mercy is now to before. Make her vulnerable when ulting so it can be riskable and also have a wait time when Mercy rez like Mercy now. She takes like a second or two just to rez someone and in that instant, many things can happen to you.

Overwatch isn’t purely an fps and it is the job of supports to prevent the enemy from killing teammates. That’s why there is healing and abilities like lamp. Enabling teammates to kill better is one of the ways supports support their team but so is preventing kills.

I used to be a Mercy/Lucio 1 trick back in the days of mass res. I enjoy the current mercy way more than the old mercy.

Heaven forbid that Reaper and Junkrat have to work for all their easy kills again.

Imo, I would love to see Rez being tested with a different variable. A sort of resurrect meter, that builds much in the same way as Ubercharge does in TF2. Which also means if you die, you lose all of it. So staying alive and rezing people in a way that’s safe and not risky is part of the balance. Risk not only being out of the fight for respawn time, but also losing all of that Rez you’ve built up for someone who died in a bad or unsafe spot.

I think that could work honestly. The other thing to would be balancing out how much health is given on revive, in other games you could do a quick rez or a full rez and get more or less health.

The fact that her ult could be used in 2 ways is what made the ability problematic. As the enemy team you can’t plan for

The mercy’s team is going to go all in and use the rez early to keep up pressure

or

they are going to hold their abilities and then just mass rez everyone.

You just have to guess and hope you picked the right one.

If he is in the right place, at the right time, in range of a hero that counters him, with a 1-2 second window to react.

If he pops it before anyone dies.

And unless Zen is dead, or knocked away, or caught in a Rein charge and taken away from the team. Even Trans has counters.

Mass Res can simply reset 1 team. Trans can be overcome with, say, Grav/Dragon/Barrage or even Grav/Damage ult/Ana nade. There’s no counterplay at all to mass res, nothing can shut it down.

1 Like

Mass Rez would’ve been balanced if they added LOS checks and added a cast time so people could react to it.

But we got a rework instead…

2 Likes

mercy was caught in a tough place with mass Rez. in it’s last iteration it had no way of being countered with a basic ability. every other ult has that factor. so really the way to counter it is give it a delay before going off, and remove invulnerability on her. But then her ult would be too easy to counter.

Depends on how you look at it.

Mass Resurrect, “in its last iteration”, you could body block the Mercy when she attempted to Guardian Angel into her dead team. Can you say that about any other ultimate?

Blizzard could have just removed the invulnerability buff and it would have gone back to being exactly what it was before. A slight inconvenience for a very small portion of players. To do that though, meant Blizzard would have to admit a development choice was incorrect. We all know Blizzard doesn’t make mistakes, now don’t we.

If she was playing correctly it wouldn’t be. Like before the invuln buff.

Why do you think she got invulnerability in the first place? because her ult would result in the team living but she would stand still for so long she dies from it. she had a worst death sentence ult than pharah has now.

Exactly, there are very few DPS ults that have teamwipe potential and not a lengthy cast time.

The ones that don’t have a lengthy cast time, which would be Rocket Barrage, Death Blossom, and Pulse Bomb, require very dangerous positioning where you basically have to be right in front/in the middle of the enemy team to get any value out of it.

At the time of them changing Mercy to have invulnerability on Mass Resurrect I had 70+ hours on Mercy and she was my highest played hero by far.

The forums wanted her to have an “E” ability and to have her ultimate lest alone. I know this because I was in those conversations.

That was the power dynamic and cost of having Mass Resurrect. High power, high risk. You have to have that trade off if you want it to work. Blizzard knows best and changed it…which made it worse.

Not if you were playing her correctly.

For posterity sake, I stopped playing Mercy after the PTR change that she got invulnerability in because I knew it was going to be a really bad time for Mercy in the game. I was correct 100%.

I would be willing to bet that the actual reason Blizzard removed Mass Rez was because of OWL and how it denied these fast-paced team frags. It wasn’t lack of counterplay or “Hide n Rez” or anything else–all of these could have been fixed pretty easily by tinkering with Mass Rez. Blizzard was set out to just nix how much impact Rez could have altogether, and Jeff Kaplan even stated as much, saying that they wanted to reduce the impact Rez had on the game (and admitting they, at the time, had utterly failed to do so)