Why mass rez actually got removed

I like you :slight_smile:

The three original supports all had anti-wipe ults. Zen and Lucio still have theirs, but Mercy got dispossessed of hers. So powerful are these ults, that most OWL comps are still formed around having either Zen or Lucio.

I absolutely hated this aspect of her gameplay. Because I often refused to hide, instead electing to look for smaller mid-fight rezzes, I’d get hunted down and die with my ult and then get blamed for not hiding. To this day I dislike playing her, partially due to the negative experiences burnt into my psyche from those early days of the game.

Tempo rezing for the win! It was only after Moth that people (outside of the Mercy mains) worked out how strong it was :slight_smile:

1 Like

those were ults, and they stalled deaths

brig does it with her base kit
bap does it with base kit
moira does it with base kit

And even with all that being said, the end conclusion is still the same: The horrible, “low skill = high reward” mess that was Mass Rez is rightfully gone for good and isn’t coming back

So, can we please finally get over this whole situation already?.. It’s been more than 2 years :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Mass rez was a mistake, it was meant to balance out DPS ults that could instantly teamwipe every fight in the early state of the game. Shortly after that, DPS ults barely complete anything impactful, every one already knows to use shield and DM and covers to avoid most of the ults in the game, therefore mass rezz had no place in the game anymore.

I don’t know why you still cling on such an unhealthy past of Mercy, if you are good with tempo rezz, just press E, it’s on cooldowns now by the way. And let the dead team stay dead, so that the game can progress, it’s good and fun for everyone involved.

Nope, obviously.

I don’t think that people would have been upset that it was gone, IF we didn’t end up with Valk as it’s replacement.

Like, the entire thing was a mess, and people are STILL pretty angry.

Yes, I absolutely agree: the sky is indeed blue. Although, not when it rains, then it’s kind of grayish in coloration.

Now that echo is a thing mass rez is op. They actually shot their own feet with that ult, now everytime they’ll create a new ult they’ll have to think about how it’s gonna be on echo.

1 Like

Mass Rez was never overpowered. Hell, it was frequently underpowered, because it was hard to get maximum value out of compared to, say, Sound Barrier or Transcendence which were much more fire and forget.

It was removed because players -particularly pro DPS streamers, who Blizz was pandering heavily to at the time to promote OWL- found it annoying.

1 Like

Well my biggest problem with mass rez back in the day was how fast it charged. Literally would have it halfway through the first fight if you healed correctly. I know because I played a good amount of mercy back then.

Oh man, a Mercy thread. This’ll go well :disappointed:

In all seriousness though, I’m sure the devs worked through a bunch of different things before settling on single-man Res. I personally would have preferred Mass Res with a cast time, but they must have tested that internally and decided that it wasn’t balanced.

I’m sure you’re right. I remember them mentioning experimenting with a Mercy self resurrect. That would have been a big nope button lol

the fact that you brought ashe as comparison to an old mercy ult caused me physical pain. how can you even compare a hero with one of the highest skill caps in the game to a 1 button ult that revives 5 teammates. mass res is a problematic concept, not only in OW but in other blizzard games as well, and that is why it was removed. if you must know, the reason why it’s so problematic in games like OW is because that it has the ability to overtake even 6 enemy ultimates with no effort what so ever. having a mind game of ult usage around if mercy can res a full team or not is unbalanced, unskillful, and most of all not fun at all.

That team rez was broken af. It handed losers the win & it never could’ve been changed or reworked. In fact, Blizzard tried that, but that Triple/Double/Single instant rez was just as broken.

I just wish Zen & Lucio’s ults got the same treatment, they save losers too, yet never got removed.

The thing with mass res was, it had no real counterplay on reaction. You basically had to whipe the enemy once with 1-2 ults and re-whipe the again with the rest.

Also, Mercy had no real risk while using it (not to mention the stupid invulnerability buff), she could just hide and use it whenevr she wanted.

Additionally, whenever she hid, she was not doing her job of supporting her team.

One way to solve this would have been maybe always show the max range of mass rez in form of an aura.

Since it is so big (15m), people would definitely notuce when she was missing and since it goes though walls they could track her down pretty easily.

But tbh I like valk, I wouldn’t mind mass rez, since it counter brinless ult spam on overtime but idc.

I just want 65hps in valk XD

2 Likes

If whinning got mass rez removed, logic dictates it should also bring it back.

1 Like

It was cause of owl. And also they minorly buffed it over and over instead of giving her utility, and then sledgehammer nerfed Ana.

That was before they finally resigned themselves to realize that maybe the community did want minor frequent balancing instead of major meta forced patches. If they adopted that mentality from the get go, sym may still be a support, and mercy may still have mass rez, and Mei and Ana wouldn’t have spent years 2-3 in the gutter.

Damage is already done, tho. Hopefully this mindset shift will make OW2 much better than its predecessor

are you trying to suggest that bob is a good ult?

I wasted 3.5 years of my life on this game, take it from me:

No one will listen to you or empathize with your pain about this. You are correct to look beyond what Blizzard is telling you and what morons are rejoicing over, but you are not putting your energy in a place that deserves it.

Take your passionate mind and channel it into something that makes you happy instead.

2 Likes