Why is open que "the lesser" competitive?

I’ve heard some people say that open que “doesn’t count” and that your true rank lies in role lock :closed_lock_with_key:

Is there a reason why people think this?

7 Likes

Probably because nobody seems to be taking Open Q serious and the match quality is usually terrible.

I personally never play more than the 10 placement matches for additional competitive points and every single time I am asking myself if it is even worth to lose my sanity about it.

The matchmaking is a lottery and it nearly always ends with people filling for roles that they don’t want to play and/or are terrible with.

Also nearly everyone I know is a few hundred SR higher in Open Q, than in Role Q and T500 starts in low Diamond :woman_shrugging:

66 Likes

Probably because the balance is now done around 222 so everything else turns into a clown fest. The same thing happened with no limits.

18 Likes

I don’t know how open queue is any less valid than role queue but for rank purposes, role queue is way more accurate because of a vastly bigger playerpool plus open queue used peoples old ranks from back when open queue was the main competitive format which means people who don’t play it do have outdated ranks

3 Likes

There are a number of variables here.
Yes, devs balance for 2/2/2.
Both modes appear side by side on the thingy doo.
OWL players play 2/2/2. :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: But, like… that’s OWL. I don’t care about OWL.
Open Queue is the original way to play.
Role Queue is more popular in Mmerica. This supports the notion that Mmericans like to be told what to do, perhaps by an unelected monarchy such as the British queen and thus should give up those silly notions about democracy and become a colony of her majesty once more.
People have egos. The ego must be protected.
If someone can find a way (ANY WAY) to claim someone else’s opinion “doesn’t count” then they’ll go for it, because that increases their own ego at the expense of the other persons.
Here we can see the green stripe represents “esteem” which is very important to the humans. They need it to feel important and that they matter, preferably that they matter more than everyone else but that’s just silly because no one is more important than the queen.

PS - Pay no attention to that bit about freedom. You don’t need freedom. You need to adhere to the roles that you’re assigned, like a peasant in service to her majesty. :uk:

9 Likes

A lot of open queue players who are around the 3500 range are usually 2700 in role, this means real masters players will stomp the enemy team if they consist of 2700 role queue players.
Somehow they get boosted up to that rank and it’s horrible playing with them, you’ll see players making basic mistakes/missing basic shots like ana missing her shots on you whilst you’re standing still.

8 Likes

OQ is a bit of a joke in EU. Most of the good players don’t bother with OQ, meaning that a lot of middling diamond/plat players get a massive boost. I can effortlessly carry in masters OQ games, yet I very rarely have that same level of impact in a masters RQ game.

5 Likes

I can effortlessly carry in masters OQ games, yet I very rarely have that same level of impact in a masters RQ game.

I wonder if that means that the matchmaking quality for role queue is consistently crap and constantly creates one-sided stomps, or that open queue is just a joke comparatively.

I’m just gonna go with both

Last time I checked the player himself decided what Role(s) he picks in Role Q - not the Queen :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

No, it’s the Queen. I’ll have you stripped of your knighthood and confined to the dungeon!

3 Likes

I am high plat in Open Q even though I am hot garbage. That fact alone is enough to make me lose any interest in it as a competitive ladder. I’ll take the free gold gun points though.

Open Q isn’t the mode that the game is currently balanced around.

I mean my highest rank was in a deathmatch season. Should I tell people my rank in that and expect people to take it seriously?

1 Like

Open queue is the superior mode
The most skillful region in the world LIKES OPEN
So what does that tell you.

7 Likes

I’d be very curious to see how top RQers would do in OQ (cause I doubt many actually do)…

and it makes sense that they don’t…while OQ does do 222 VERY often (despite the forums propensity to claim otherwise) it still has enough straying from that formula that it is going to play differently….it’s going to throw you off your RQ game doing both

There does seem to be a regional aspect as well….OQ is apparantly very popular in Korea at least….your guess is as good as mine

But it’s not a competition….we have this obsession with “which OW is the better one”….play whichever you like….I happen to enjoy OQ more…think it’s a better representation of what the game is supposed to be (because of the flexibility it allows)….but that’s me

3 Likes

Players are idiots and pick dumb comps that are throwing. That’s really it. It’s a playerbase issue.

1 Like

Because they are members of the 2-2-2 cult … ranks in openQ and roleQ are bull**** if you are not somewhere at the lower or upper end.

1 Like

i consistently find open queue to be far less challenging and far less competitive when i play it, especially towards the higher ranks… but if someone enjoys it, to each their own. i don’t see a reason to be rude to someone about it.

1 Like

I think the same about roleQ.

1 Like

two main reasons

1.because fewer people play open queue. (top 500 in OQ starts at like 3000 sr last i saw)
2. people dont really care about there rating in open queue, largely its used by DPS mains too practice heroes with faster queue times.

as a result of these two things; theres no benefit to play open queue if your aiming for diamond+ because almost none of us play it, it wouldnt make sense for instance for a top 500 tank main too play open when they can do role queue.

if you play in a given rank in both role queue and in open queue, you’ll notice that the open queue players are alot worse. aka easier to kill and beat which leads too the SRs not matching there role queue mirror (like plat to plat or gold to gold).

like a match at 2500 in open queue geninuely felt like playing with people at 2000 in role queue. due to the lack of competition, the open queue SR’s are inflated greatly (i believe this is why some people ONLY play open queue, as its there highest SR)

theres also alot more smurfs in open queue, because its a throw away rank. the only place thats going to be populated is the low elo, bronze-gold maybe plat. so people can throw matches and smurf freely without the 10+ minute queue times. AND its “free” on an already existing account, being 1500 on open doesnt effect your main role sr.

1 Like

i wish it was that way for me lol it would be far more enjoyable then. i like the gamemode, sadly i just cant shake the feeling that every game past like diamond is inflated by an entire bracket :frowning:

i wonder if it’s just a lack of players flattening out the rank distributions or something… if i had better internet i’d try to vpn to korea and see what it feels like to play in a region with a playerbase :laughing: