Why is gm 1% of players?

That was years ago. Tho I’d assume it’s probably around the same still. Their reasoning of it being 2-3% now cuz more ppl climbed to gm is flawed, because for each person who climbed to gm, there are others who fell, and many more who joined the game and populate non gm ranks.

2 Likes

Can you link me up to that post?
Pretty sure that was the 2 year old one.

Excessive free time and youth, usually.

htt ps://www.esportstales.com/overwatch/competitive-rank-distribution-pc-and-console

no reason to think its changed

Isn’t it because of Binomial distribution or something?

IIRC it’s data from 2 years ago.

Well there might be some reasons why it changes.

• Community could’ve grown
  • People could have improved, which is actually pretty normal because people will have been improving in those last 2 years so that could result in many more players entering the rank.

The official data comes from here: Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

but everyone has improved, including people at the highest level

Exactly, though this does not mean that it’s harder to get in GM.

Meaning people can just get in GM like all the others, so if they improve they can get in GM doesn’t matter if the GM’s themselves improve.

the bar is higher, on release gm then is like diamond now, doesnt mean that everyone has hit gm

Better question, why are 1% of the playerbase below SR500.

Eventually there isn’t room for improvement, people will in the end get in that category.

It’s not like it will become impossible to get in GM, why are you so hardstuck on that there isn’t a single chance that the % could’ve gone up?

Why? Because some players belong there.

Except sometimes it is. That’s just reality.

Luck definitely plays a role especially if you happen to be a solo player, there are some guys that even the overwatch pros just cant carry. If you are good, you will climb and steamroll as long as you don’t get throwers, cheaters, one tricks, boosted players, bought accounts and smurfs to have on your team or face. The games competitive is extremely unreliable and unbalanced. You improve your chances at climbing if you pair with someone else, no more than 2 because then you will be forced to play vs stacked teams that will just roll you and force you to derank

this is just so untrue its funny, how can you think theres a cap on how good you can be

how are you so hardstuck that the people at the top havent improved? if the best person in the world gets better they dont get more sr, they just make 4700 ish their level and that trickles down, you have to beat the people better than you to rank up so you have to improve faster than them

Honestly the % is probably still the same. Back when they reworked comp, season 2 I think, the devs showed a bell curve for comp that pretty much showed how the rankings would sort people. So it pretty much kind of guarantees that gm + will always be a small percentage of players. This is not to say that people can’t get there once that % is met, but it does mean that when get to gm you basically have to knock someone down to masters to take their place in GM. So as players get better and climb the players at the top that can not grow anymore as a player will be knocked into lower ranks. How far they fall will be determined by how good players get vs. their skill that is not developing.

wasted 4 days got only 100 sr

I hear you, ive had days where I lose 2-400 sr and then a day later I get over 5-600 sr back. I truly feel the game does its very best to force that 50% to the point that it will give you the worse possible teammates just so you cannot steamroll to top 500.

Personally I think it’s cause the ranked system is flawed and makes climbing very difficult. I mean don’t get me wrong, gm should naturally be a small portion of the community, but I also think there are several good intelligent players stuck in some rank with dum dums. A lot of these people if given a gm account could probably maintain that rank pretty easily.

What’s hard about overwatch is climbing with a team of dum dums. Give a smart person a smart team and things just get easier.

That’s how statistics work. Everytime someone wins someone else loses SR. If you are in a GM promotion game someone else in the losing team probably dropped below 4k SR. SR is not a leveling system where everyone keeps going higher.

When someone says “everyone can be gm” they don’t mean literally every player is at GM rank. They mean everyone has the potential of ranking up to GM if they put enough time and effort to becoming good and ranking up, although even then “everyone” is an exaggeration but I’d say everyone(without any bigger disabilities or other handicaps) can get to at least diamond if not master.

Everyone who plays this game gets better over time. If you want to rank up you have to get better faster than other players are getting better. Same people have natural talent or they have already accumulated talent before in other games that might partially transfer over to OW. It’s all something you have to overcome if you want to get to the best ranks.

Fair enough, though it will become harder and harder to find ways to improve in the end.

People at the top will improve, though it’s a high chance that people below them will learn how they improved faster than those at the top.

Hmm that’s quite true actually.

If players placed in GM or really close to it then that would mean they weren’t knocking someone down. Though now that there is a limit it means the % will stay the same somewhat.

Even then we can’t say that an even amount of people are being knocked out of GM as many there are climbing into it. This is because MMR manipulates of course SR loss/gain, so there is a chance the % could’ve increased overtime… though then again it could apply the opposite way too.

They should just release new statistics tbh, would help us out greatly.

Well sure it isn’t a leveling system where everyone keeps going higher.

Though MMR can result in the increase of the % because it doesn’t guarantee that players will get knocked out of GM.

We’re all currently saying what’s theoretically possible, though we really can’t do anything unless Blizzard gives us the info we actually need.