Why is Genji Getting Nerfed?

Not if the hero is presenting a problem for them.

Genji is presenting a problem for them.

Both Mei and Sombra was a problem for Tank players (which was the queue bottleneck). So they had to nerf them out.

Genji is a problem for the Support players (which are now the queue bottleneck). So they will have to nerf him out.

Same forces, same result.

Yep, we both know it. People are going to see some pretty epic changes when it happens.

lol again wrong. genji is not a problem for them

if genji is a problem then they might as well nerf tracer too because shes goin to be just as good at dumpstering low elo supports.

thats what you dont get, you cant look beyond your view point.

when they solve a problem they try to solve it for everyone not just new and low rank players. constantly nerfing flankers does nothing to help high elo players, they are nerfing genji purely because his winrate/pickrate is high. not because he dumpsters low rank people.

the moment he falls off in top 500 they will move on to something else.

1 Like

I think the difference here is. They aren’t changing Genji because of how strong he is against other DPS.

They are changing him because they are deeply concerned about the lack of Support players.

And that “deep concern” is about to hit “panic mode” around mid December, after Ramattra makes queue times, matchmaker quality and Support unpopularity hit crisis levels.

1 Like

Support queue is. Genji is one of the drivers.

Like Tank queue was, and Sombra and Mei were some of the drivers.

Literally how they both ended up nerfed out hard.

Exactly. It won’t just be Genji/Sombra which is hit by this either.

They did, she went from 240dps to 200dps.

2 Likes

idk why ppl think that.

genji does not deter support players. by that logic ALL flank or dive dps would so they would need to nerf, doomfist, hammond, dva, winston, genji, tracer, sombra, pharah and echo. then you gotta add in widow/mccree/ashe because these ppl can headshot support players at range.

genji does not magically kill supports easier then these other heroes, ppl just babyrage anytime a genji is involved.

but most ppl dont care about him, the forums are a minority of players.

no theyd need another nerf. because dmg nerfs dont effect low elo play.

Yup, I’m fully expecting Dive Tanks and even Moira to get some changes that make it easier for Supports to deal with them.

Or buffs to Support mobility/evasion.

2 Likes

The beta feedback was saying EXACTLY this. The support players lined up and said he was a problem, and they would leave.

They have been leaving. Not just Forumers, but supports in General.

Fill queue is now support Queue v2.

They do, but you are right, they will need ANOTHER nerf. Which they will dutifully roll out.

1 Like

Ramattra is probably also gonna counter Genji if his Gravity ability interrupts Genji’s swift strike or it’ll at least interrupt or prevent double jumps and wall climbs

I think that is a given. I can’t see them not doing this.

Yeah, if it is a cripple, which I expect it is, he will be a pretty nasty counter to Genji.

They’d have to nerf tanks tho since increased healing would leave tanks to be perma unkillable

You’re probably saying that sarcastically, but actually that’s pretty spot-on for what I expect to happen.

They are doing as much “AntiPowerCreep” as they can related to Support Counters, and if that’s not enough, then they just start powercreeping the Support Role.

And as you mentioned, nerfing Support Counters also nerfs sniper counters. And with Sojourn also getting nerfed, then that clears the way for Widow/Hanzo nerfs.

Pharah, is a more indirect reason, mostly because she gatekeeps away a lot of Mercy buffs.

2 Likes

Yep. Also pretty much a given.

" genji, tracer, sombra" have either had them, or are currently getting them.

Yeah, I expect they will do that if they start seeing that problem.

2 Likes

Which we’re already used to.

Every new hero counters Genji most of the times.
Sombra, Doomfist (one punch with busted hitbox when he was dps), Moira, Brigitte, Echo’s laser and now Ramattra…garbo company with a garbo playerbase

I quite like them, and honestly, I more see them painted into a corner by some early choices, and not wanting to rework Genji / Tracer etc.

They KNOW the reworks would be deeply unpopular, so they are having to work around them.

imma be real with you.

its funny to me that you are so sure they’d keep nerfing genji. because this has been goin on for 6 years.

genji was nerfed season 1 ow1. and when season 2 started full on babyrage “GENJI NERFS NOT ENOUGH HE NEEDS MORE”. he wasnt touched for a year, and he was given a bug fix and a buff. then they complained even more, year after year. nothing.

i’d be really surprised to see more genji nerfs if he isnt meta in top 500 post nerfs.

now if he is still meta in top 500, he’d prolly get nerfed again because his pickrate and winrate will be high. but most top 500 otp’s seem to think he’ll fall off right away.

so my prediction is that he’ll fall off in top 500, they’ll say hes in a good spot and the forums will errupt with rage. (bonus points if they talk about buffing him)

I am sure they will panic and do “Blizzard things” mid next season.

Blizzard isn’t gentle when they are panicking.

They won’t if the supports don’t stop leaving.

I think you’re stuck on thinking the is a DPS vs DPS balancing issue.

It’s not.

It’s 100% about the lack of Support players.

1 Like

And they’ve been doing a bad job of balancing Genji for the last 6 years. He’s been perma countered perma nerfed and the only buffs he’s gotten were ammo increases that are now getting reverted.