Why is General Discussion dominated by Comp?

I know it´s not an offense, I just hate it :woman_shrugging:

You asked a question, and I answered it.

General discussion is dominated by Comp mostly because the game is centered around that game mode.

I don’t have a good reason, because I don’t know the reason. I do know Blizzard isn’t balancing around QPC, or Mayhem, or Lucio Ball.

Blizzard balances around competitive mode.

Perhaps, or you can accept reality and move on.

I am not going to ‘prove’ it. I am going to show you.

You asked a question in your title ‘Why is General Discussion dominated by Comp?’

So you already accepted that General discussion is dominated by comp, you just want to know why.

Well, we told you. It’s the mode Blizzard balances around, so it also becomes the most popular.

You don’t like it. Sure, you can disagree with me. But at the end of the day, do you think you will change anything?

What does “centered around” even mean?

The Game didn’t even launch with comp, the only data we have suggests people play modes other than comp at a 2:1 ratio.

How can you be so sure of this?

I accept 1+1=2 because that’s immutable.

I won’t accept an arbitrary states that have bad consequences.

But it isn’t so popular that all other modes are insignificant.

It’s non stop polemic on these forums, always snide weaselly comments like that.

I apologize if you think I’m being snide or weaselly.

I am genuinely engaged in our conversation.

I want to know why you think General Discussion is dominated by Comp. Nothing snide or weaselly, just curious.

Would you like to see something change? Like the mods moving more threads into the competitive subforum.

I am asking because I want to know why you made this thread. Is there a purpose?

1 Like

Dude, you have direct evidence I am correct. If you cannot accept that you need help. Do the Google search, look at the thread and the comments by Blizz on it when this was shared. Did you really still not use the Google search for this? Really?

“Weasel words” my butt, it’s right there and a known statistic from Blizzard.

Being wrong is one thing, in denial with direct evidence to a statement you don’t like… that’s a whole different level of wrong.

1 Like

LOL , no it’s not based on the official stat put out in April 2020:

https://imgur.com/DAd9zXT

I challenge you to show me a stat that shows that Comp is not #1, followed by QP. Show me.

Oh for the doubters, from Papa Jeff himself where this came from: Blizzard please keep classic comp - #52 by JeffreyKaplan on this very forum.

All ears and eyes for any later stats that can be shown otherwise.

Generally it’s on the person making the claim to provide the source when asked. Saying “just Google it” is pretty unhelpful, especially when you go on to say something in a condescending way like

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve ever participated in other game forums, but this is ALWAYS the case.

People ignore sub categories and post in the general forum.

Because humanity is stupid lmao. You don’t need to go far to find further examples, not just on overwatch, but everywhere.

1 Like

That’s bs. The game is built around selling loot boxes to kids who want to be an epic ninja dude.

OWL league and all the game modes are just the framework for selling those boxes.

1 Like

No you don’t, you condescendingly dismiss whether disagreeing with you will change anything.

You just pretend you didn’t say what you just said.

No, at the time of my reply you did not, you had a completely unsourced graph. That’s not evidence any more than a policeman writing a note saying “the prisoner did it, signed: a witness” is evidence of guilt.

What, like a psychiatrist? I am mentally ill for disagreeing with you. Textbook gaslighting.

I told you it would be stupid to go on a wild goose chase trying to find what you will not give me enough details.

You KNOW that you refused to say where you actually got it from, you just dumped the image with a date and REFUSED TO SAY that it was a forum post when you knew all along.

it not evidence, that could be generated by some blogger who has no idea what they are doing.

I challenge you to show how being number 1 proves you claim:

When this is just one day and only percentage of hours.

Obviously, just because you play more doesn’t mean you matter more. A player is a player, a customer is a customer.

So you DID have the source this entire time but told me to google it.

I was absolutely right not to go on a wild goose chase, you just needed to stop needlessly hiding the source of that graph.

And you had good reason to hide the source as the source reveals that it is from a tiny sample size of just one single day. Is that why you wouldn’t give the source? You wanted to hide that information?

Overwatch is exceptionally bad, the closest analogue to Overwatch - Team Fortress 2 - doesn’t have it anywhere near as bad.

In that community they care about this thing known as, hold on it’s a word you may be unfamiliar with, that term is: fun.

I am well aware of that thank you. OTOH, I get tired of having to prove things that people who are literally in front of a computer can look up for themselves. Aren’t Zoomers and Millenials supposed to be masters of technology? It took me less than 15 seconds to find the breakdown…

Obviously balance has to be tailored to competitive. That is the game mode where balance matters most. But that does not mean that there are ZERO balance discussions or considerations granted to the other modes. FFA balance is a regular, if not nearly as frequent, discussion. Mercy starting with her pistol drawn in that mode, Ana being able to nano herself, etc… There are definitely special balance considerations granted to other modes and those discussions belong in general. But so does discussion of comp, which like I said will always have to be the MAIN focus of balance. And if balancing comp effects the other modes, we go with balancing comp and then fix the consequences on other modes later if necessary.

Agree 100% with this, but the reason the game is dying is it rewards low skill over high too frequently.

I have no idea what this has to do with the topic or what I said, but I agree, skill-less doubleshield is too rewarded. Including the Winston forms of doubleshield, the most skill-less of all as it has the most shield of all doubleshield comps.

Add a third shield with sym and you have three noskills winning when they don’t deserve it. Add a fourth with brig and it’s easy to understand why the game gets uninstalled so often by so many.

Or replace quad shield with quad boop, quad melee, or quad beam. Or hey, put an echo on there and bring back the triple tank that killed the game in the first place, only for some reason the devs thought it was ok if they condemned us to a hell where one DPS would force triple tank on us for the rest of time.

1 Like

My point was I agree - not all balancing is for GM-Comp play, but in general it has to be or the game has no competitive integrity. And yes, the designers say they consider the impact on changes across all tiers.

I think my overall point was too much consideration has been made for casuals vs competitive players in this act of balancing for beyond GM-Comp play.

That thing directly in front of you on YOUR computer.

What you see on your computer isn’t the same as what everyone else sees.

The internet is a vast place, I don’t have to tell you this, you KNOW this, this is why you tell people to “just google it”. It’s like burying a key in the middle of a desert and instead of just saying where it is being a snide condescending rude troll in jibing “hurr, don’t you know how a metal detector works”.

Is this a way of saying you’re a boomer?

Imagine telling on yourself like that.

That’s because you knew exactly where to look!

You knew it was a forum post and wouldn’t tell anyone!

Anyone can link to forum posts as they eventually, extremely belatedly, relented on doing.

Proud Gen-X’er, you know, the guys that made most of this tech and now manage it.

Yes, I come from an age where you were expected to do your part during a discussion equally. I figured that a 15-second effort was a reasonable ask, guess not.

So ignorance is no excuse.

The only explanation is purposeful dishonesty.

You purposefully knew how disruptive you were being by refusing to give the link in a futile attempt at trying to hide your source so you had more control over it for your own ends.

No that is not a product of ANY generation.

For EVERY generation the burden of proof is 100% on the person making the claim. It was 100% your claim.

I have told you why that is a lie.

You KNEW where it was from!

You weren’t searching for it, you were going BACK to where you remembered it.

Oh I suppose now is the point where you tell another feeble lie that “oh no I had no idea where it was from even though I inexplicably knew the exact date”.

You were not very smart to give the date. You thought you were being clever giving me a purposefully useless piece of information (millions of things happened in that month so you KNEW it doesn’t narrow it down) but there’s no way you guessed it. It proves you always had the source but refused to share it.

How was I in the least dishonest? I didn’t refuse to do anything; I quoted the statistic, then when people were too lazy to look it up I went back and found it. Talk about spin… omygod…

Yeah it is, but you can’t know this because you are used to being spoon-fed information. If I said JFK was killed do I literally have to post you the Wikipedia article on it? Really?

It took me about 15 seconds when challenged to find it with a logical search. No lie.

Just admit you were lazy and wrong, it’s how you get better in life.

We are done here Treb, you are simply unreasonable and I proved beyond shadow of a doubt I am correct and you are not based on direct evidence that I kindly looked up for you. Take the gift of knowledge.