Why is Ana's sleep considered high skill?

I was comparing the dumbed down forum “I don’t want to actually think about how it goes” version of the play styles of each.

It will fail just as much.

Sounds like you need to try it - but I am not a fan of people throwing games.

1 Like

Just to get waken up by dva or moria succ :smiley:

1 Like

To OP: Why shouldnt it be considered high skill? Even high ranked players miss tons of sleep darts.

Take your upvote you damn savage.

1 Like

Ill gladly take it and say thank you stranger ^.^

Barriers are definitely too weak now to synergise with sentry, they go down so suddenly and are rarely worth the attention they draw.

Don’t mess around, just shoot the barriers, none of them are even that strong.

Well I Appreciate it when Mei tries to elevate me up, I can usually avoid attacks easier than if the barrier is simply broken and catches me far more exposed.

We had a pretty in depth discussion on this thread on that which I just summarised here:

I will go ready that thread :slight_smile:

How to make bastion work is a hard game dev problem, so I’m always up for chats on it

1 Like

While I agree it’s not as easy as Mei’s alt fire, the sleep dart projectile size is pretty large. In fact it’s twice the size of a Junkrat grenade.

Sleep dart = 0.4
Mei ice cycle = 0.3
Junkrat grenade = 0.2

I do admit that sleep darts are pretty easy to land on any hero but a Tracer and Genji. Mei’s ice cycle also feel pretty easy compared to other shots like Hanzo’s arrows. Junkrat just gets the raw end of the deal here, just like in most cases.

The damage output of junks nades is pretty damn good though.

I think giving them the ability to directly hit the head would be funny as hell.

Maybe not good from a game play perspective, but funny.

Yeah he does good damage but only if you can land direct hits. His grenades are the second slowest moving projectile in the game. At mid range he’s ok, at long range he’s completely useless.

Widow doing full charge body shots = hitscan Junkrat grenades. No one complains about that though.

Thank god she doesn’t have the fire rate but yeah, that is kinda crazy.

One of the better widows I know was a big fan of body shots. They we better than most I knew for finishing off targets.

They did have 800 hours on her though, so they did have them down to an art.

Okay, but how many of the 6-7 sleeps are on squishies or under high pressure?

Getting a sleep off while you’re being uppercut , or when a Genji is blading and about to swipe you is far harder than sleeping an aggressive Rein or a Hog from a distance.

1. Ana’s Sleep is though one of, if not the hardest - to - land projectile in the entire game on any target that isn’t a Tank.
  2. You seem to be thinking that Sleep is somehow a one - shot… Umm, what?
  3. Don’t even remotely compare Sleep to Mei’s “low skill = high reward” mess of a RMB… Let’s not fool ourselves here.
1 Like

It does lead to deaths in which the person on the recieving end can’t do anything about when it hits.

If hogs hook combo is a one shot, I CAN see the argument that sleep is.

Because Mei has done well in the low ranks ever?

Ana is doing better in the low ranks than Mei typically does.

Like I’ve been arguing that dart is a skill shot, but like I’m not on board with any argument that Ana is hard than the rest of the supports right now or that Mei isn’t harder than most of the DPS line up in her current state.

Seriously. When a hero typically only gets a lot of value in owl, that isn’t a sign of low skill.

Ana is the second most picked support in bronze.

Don’t give me the “harder than Mei” stuff you are trying to push here.

Like if you are even going to try, you are going to need to back that the hell up.

I mean it’s a “dart” with a hitbox that’s like 1/3 the size of Roadhog. I’ve literally been slept while standing BEHIND Ana. Honestly I think Overwatch players just have a very skewed idea of what’s skill based considering how forgiving all of the aim and hitbox mechanics are in this game.

1 Like

100000000000000% true.

Can you replicate in training room - show us a vid? :smiley:

The gold standard:

NOTE: this source measures the TOTAL WIDTH of projectiles. The Developer’s usually cite the radius of the projectile which is half the total width. They probably cite the radius due to details of exactly how the engine works that will remain trade secrets until their source code is opened up to public scrutiny.

It’s an exaggeration to say it’s as large as hog but it is WAY larger than the projectile appears to be. It’s a 40cm wide ball, which is really big, it’s bigger than a basketball or dodgeball. It’s more like the size of a medicine ball.

And due to how almost every hero has a hitbox that extends beyond the edge of their visual model and for an impact to register the very edge of the projectile hitbox may hit the very edge of the hero’s hitbox. So from the edge of the visual model of the projectile to the edge of the hero’s visual model, the projectile has a radius on par with a beach ball!

These are visualisations of abstract mathematical concepts. The whole point of hitboxes is that they are mathematically simple for the engine to calculate, player models are in fact incredibly complicated for an engine and we can only see them at all because the CPU just say “I give up, this is too complicated, here, Mr GPU, this is your problem, you paint by numbers and send it to the screen ASAP”

The CPU doesn’t see all the shaders, all the fine detail, it’s like sending them a colouring in book with simple instructions of how to conduct complicated visual rendering. It’s very hard to interrupt the GPU to ask “does this thing line up with that thing” the GPU can’t think about what it’s doing, so there is an inherent disconnect between the visual and the physical.

PS: Projectiles interaction with the environment seems to use a different hitbox (i.e. no hitbox), it seems when it comes to the projectiles passing near a wall all projectiles act like zero-diameter points. This projectile hitbox only applied with interaction with player controlled hitboxes which would include barriers and things like defence matrix, deflect, kinetic grasp, etc.

2 Likes

Are you for real? You mean the same Mei who just holds down the mouse button and sprays wildly until she hits TWO targets? Try landing Mei’s RMB and Ana’s sleep on a skinny cyborg man jumping around the whole map and tell me which lands more often.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess that it’s considered hard because in most cases you either land the shot or you die, or when you have someone diving on top of you. It’s easy to hit on bigger targets but if you hit a tracer or genii while they are on you jumping or blinking around it can feel pretty satisfying

1 Like