Why is Ana's sleep considered high skill?

It is essentially a Mei RMB but easier.

A delayed projectile but instead of requiring a headshot to 1-shot. Specifically on Tracer. Only requires a bodyshot and can essentially 1-shot the vast majority of heroes.

It is better than a 1-shot in most cases in fact because it delays the opponents respawn as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure its on a long CD but a bodyshot 1-shot, with the difficulty of a Mei RMB. Seems like a pretty easy ability to get value out of it.

Before Ana mains rush in and say “Ana only lands 6-7 sleeps per game”.

Considering its on a 12 second CD. That is actually really high!

For example, Hanzo’s Storm arrows (That “OP” ability everyone hates) Is on a 10 second CD but only gets 5.96 kills a game.

Basically put. The average players gets very good value out of sleep.

It is not a high skill ability in terms of ability you need to get value out of it! It is balanced to be good for the average player and only gets more insane the more skilled you actually are.

Funny enough, this is also the story for the rest of Ana’s kit.

EDIT: I will mention that Ana’s sleep indeed is a high mechanical skill ability. However it is balanced it a way that even if you don’t have the best mechanical skill in the game you will still get more than decent value out of it. Which in my opinion can’t make it a high skill ability.

25 Likes

No? Mei’s right click isn’t on a cooldown, and you get more than one to land unlike Ana’s “hit them or you lose” sleep dart.

It gets pretty hard to aim when a genji is jumping all around you, hitting you for free and you know you have one chance to save your life or you’ll die even if you nade him.

No, sleep dart isn’t the hardest thing to land in the world, but it can be pretty difficult depending on the targets.

Unless you have a sick sleep dart comp that you went out and made yourself from your ana game plays?

61 Likes

Mostly because getting value off of it is difficult.

That said, Bionade’s antiheal probably shouldn’t be nearly a quarter the size of the objective, now that we don’t have 24/7 barriers meta.

2 Likes

ChooChoo the hate train arrives, everybody on board

18 Likes

I don’t mind Ana being top tier. Buff her if they nerf her.

I just don’t like how bionade restricts what Tank combos are allowed to be viable.

3 Likes

We had this talk already

4 Likes

That’s not what I am saying though. I am saying the difficulty of landing sleep is about the same difficulty of Mei landing ONE of her projectiles. Which isn’t that difficult.

As a pretty avid projectile user. I disagree. In fact Genji double jumping is actually when he becomes most predictable.

In fact the time when you want to use sleep dart is also when it is easiest to land. When the opponent is up in your face. You largely eliminate the disadvantage of being a projectile and in fact make it slightly easier for you due to the larger hitbox.

True but statistically the average Ana player is getting expected value from it. How it is balanced doesn’t mean you have to be a very skilled player to get value out of it. It is balanced in a way that even average players get decent value out of it.

This is in contrast to actual high skill heroes, like Widow that will not get decent value out of them unless you are a high ranked player.

2 Likes

I mean if sleepdart is easy to hit, then Zen shouldn’t have a problem against Tracer and Genji right?
He has even the advantage of no windup time and faster projectile speed

2 Likes

Why does this mean Ana’s sleep isn’t high skill, why doesn’t it make Mei’s icicle is high skill?

8 Likes

It is no more difficult than basically any projectile hero in the game landing one of their shots.

Yes. There is varying degrees of difficulty depending on the hero you are trying to hit.

However, Ana’s sleep dart is balanced around this fact anyway. Showing that even average players get very decent value out of it. Comparable to a strong DPS ability like Hanzo’s storm arrows. Which admittedly are not that difficult at all to get value out of them.

I know. I’m saying difficulty is deeper than that. Since Mei has more to fire, and less stress on hitting the target, her gun is easier even if sleep dart is a similar projectile.

Most people aren’t avid projectile users. You know that right? You being good at projectiles doesn’t mean sleep dart is easy to land. It means you’re good at landing it.

Average according to what rank? This seems like something that should be said in comp, as averages changes depending on the rank and game mode that you’re playing. From playing quickplay, I can tell you that the average Ana isn’t automatically landing sleep darts without practice.

The average player plays against average player.
A plat Tracer is far easier to hit than a GM Tracer.
The difficultly hitting Tracer doesn’t scale linear if you up the ranks, hence why a comparison with the average player just sucks

Oh and don’t forget the average player stands in the open, eats and nade and then cries how OP nade is. Just my experience

9 Likes

Mei’s icicle is neither high skill or low skill. It has both the largest and fastes projectile in the game, however it has a slow delayed fire-rate.

I say this as a projectile main myself. Projectiles only get truly difficult when trying to hit far away targets.

They become significantly easier when the target they are trying to shoot is upclose.

This is the ideal situation when Ana actually uses her sleep-dart, which also makes it incredibly easier to hit as well.

Basically the situations where Ana uses her sleep dart is also the situations where it is easiest and not neccessarily high skill.

People associate aim is skill. To be completely honest in my opinion Ana is probably one of the easiest heros to play , you just need peel from your team to dominate

2 Likes

This is such a stretch and an exaggeration.

No, it’s not ‘essentially’ a one shot. That’s like saying Sombras hack is essentially a one shot. It requires follow up for value which can really depend.

Sleep isn’t the most skillful thing in the world but it does take a little bit of it. Sure, it has a larger hitbox but in general projectiles can be harder to land because of travel time. It require good prediction and a bit of aim, like every other projectile based thing.

I understand bio grenade hate, but I don’t understand this. It’s a skill shot, like it or not.

2 Likes

Don’t you get tired of your own gimmick? Picking a hero every couple of weeks, kool-aid man busting into every thread that so much as mentions that hero in tangential fashion? Then just saying the same thing over and over and trying to astroturf support for your tired and insipid ideas?

In any case, Ana’s sleep and all projectiles in general take more “skill” than hitscans. And it’s on a hefty cooldown.

7 Likes

Sleep is in a totally different class to that of Hack!

Sleep is a hard stun for 5 SECONDS!! In that time unless you get waken up, you literally can’t do anything.

Any squishy hero is screwed against even a half competent team if they are slept.
Most tanks are screwed against a half competent team if they are slept.

Last time I checked, that is the vast majority of the roster.

Sleep dart moves at 60m.
Icicle moves at 115m.

/thread.

2 Likes

THEY DO!!

However Ana is balanced in a way that even a mediocre player can get more than enough value out of her so she can be considered a good pick.

Basically Ana might have many mechanics that make her high skill but doesn’t actually mean she is balanced like one.

That is completely irrelevant considering the distance you want to be using sleep.

Mei’s icicles are basically as fast as Hanzo’s for god sake.

When the enemy is 5m away. It doesn’t matter if you are projectile, or hit-scan.

Why anything Ana does considered high skill?