Why I Stopped Loving Multiplayer Games

Yeah, we can discuss if this model will succeed or fail. But the old model did fail…

1. Those are literally designed to be jobs. You can quite literally go to college for most of them.

2. Usually you’re not sorted into randomized teams when playing sports even remotely seriously, so your teammates are at least consistent.

3. One person can absolutely be a star player in those games.

I stopped using my microsoft coins on overwatch already. Isnt really worth it even tho its for free.

You can only take so much.

1 Like

The old model was profitable, but it wasn’t as profitable as they wanted. There is an important distinction there.

It absolutely was sustainable. But sustainable wasn’t the goal here.

Incidentally.

Deep Rock Galactic has a Battle Pass.

But, it’s free.
You can choose the direction of what you want to unlock soonest.
And if you don’t unlock everything before the season ends, then all those items get moved to random lootdrops in RNG treasure chest that show up every few maps.

Literally the only thing you can pay real money for, is the game, and some DLC skin packs that are only slightly better than the free ones.

2 Likes

I disagree, I can think of several games that are “over reliant” on team work that work just fine, and the world would be a worse place without them.

However, the key is that if you’ve built a game reliant on teamwork, you need to provide the tools necessary for your players to work together and not punish them for bringing their team with them.

Overwatch has failed at that miserably. It still doesn’t have full team vs full team ranked queue. It still doesn’t have a guild/org/clan system. I’m pretty sure it still bumps the MMR raiting of groups up a decent amount. It took til OW2 to get a ping system.

Needing teamwork isn’t a flaw. The flaw is there’s no systems to support the necessary teamwork.

3 Likes

I am even worse. I am playing for the chubby kitty. Please do not ban me mods, I am sorry that I enjoy cats. I truly am.

Lol, again, another DRG comment.

One great thing about DRG is that you can do anything with any class. But some classes and teamwork is substantially more efficient at it.

Well, yeah… That is what I meant. Blizzard entertainment is a company that is ought to bring certain profits to shareholders. If a product does not bring desired profit then it gets scrapped…

well… I am not so sure. I would need to see the numbers on it going both ways. But at this point it is, as Joey Tribbiani once said, a moo point (-;

I’m so glad Arcsys is putting rollback netcode into it’s old games like Guilty Gear / Blazblue and is going to release a new Granblue Fantasy Versus (GBVS: Rising) . Also excited for Project L and hope Riot can bring more attention to the Fighting Games Community.

I might actually pick up GBVS again because of this.
Hopefully i dont have to buy it all over again :frowning:

Seems reasonable. for context though, by July 2019 Overwatch 1 made over 1B$ from in game purchases. Just lootboxes - which is a pretty good and honestly surprising.

:slight_smile:

I dont doubt that lootboxes were lucrative, but I reckon theyre swapping from them because of changing laws regarding them.

I kinda wish they still were available through just plying though but, c’est la vie

1 Like

mate…
People have been getting paid to do it for the last 15 years
the gaming entertainment business is older than some overwatch players

Tbh, I wasn’t even thinking of DRG.

I was more thinking of games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, the We Were Here series, or even Portal 2 multiplayer. Games where the experience will go literally no where if both players don’t play ball with each other.

Heck, even an asymm indie horror game called Video Horror Society did better than OW in this department since it shipped with in game voice, pings, and a comprehensive HUD so the 4 man team would know what their teammates were up to. They didn’t even need to go that far since the teamwork requirements aren’t as high because stats wise, all 4 Teens are roughly equal. VHS had and has other issues, but that one they nailed.

and it’s the reason why competitive* games suck now. Esport scene ruin games so badly. It should of only been a MOBA / Counter Strike thing, not every game needs an e-league.

I was mad when NBA2K started it. After it was formed, notice how 2K has been trash every year after that. It’s the reason I moved onto shooters and stuck with OW because of how comical and cartoony it was.

MATE
are you saying that games from post 2008 were all bad?

Well, those are games that you mostly get into them to play with friends. Ideally IRL friends.

And the matchmaking is usually very secondary.

Sorta, name one esport game that is still good. Just name one, only ONE.

Did I say Esport game? DID I SAY THAT