Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

I don’t think that giving you teammates of relatively equal skill is a “bait.” If you’re not actually supposed to be at the rank you’re at, play a little more and it’ll change.

Yes, it’s a bait. Game tries to give an illusion, that I finally would have fun later on…where my teammates being idiots will be replaced with me being mercilessly hunted. In both cases, it won’t be fun, except in second I would also regret spending time and effort to get there.

Who was more instrumental in their teams success then, Barry Sanders for the Detroit Lions, or Michael Jordan for the Chicago Bulls?

Just because the team has 1 stellar team member doesn’t mean that person is surround by people of equal value to the team.

They system by which Blizzard employs is even more faulty because we don’t get to “know” who we are playing with. And if we do, and we group as a party, Blizzard decided that team work requires a handicap and you are queued into a higher “skill” bracket because of this.

Truth

Why’d you choose to omit this quote? “If you’re not actually supposed to be at the rank you’re at, play a little more and it’ll change.”

Michael Jordan would have became great in any team. That’s the problem, everyone here think’s they’re Jordan, when they’re not.

And you missed the point I was making.

The comparison was between the undisputed best Shooting Guard to ever live and another player who dominated at their position as well. On one hand, yes, Jordan would have been good on any team, but on the other hand, Barry Sanders overcame more adversity being on an objectively _____ team and still considered the best Running back, or player to ever play American Football.

Your team matters. The fact the Blizzard has the hubris to think they can make a ranking system where every game is a PUG is _______ hilarious.

Your team matters, certainly, as do you, the individual. Not one GM player has naturally gone down to Bronze, I’d wager. Why would that be? Surely not because they always get the better team.

How many answers do you want, because the only answer I can give you is pure speculation. Kind of like the only answer anyone can give you is speculation unless you are one of the architects of the MMR/SR system.

My answer: Each rank has a specific amount of players that must exist at that rank. The numbers that total up to your score are based on the entire player base as a whole.

As an example: You are a Diamond level DPS player in Platinum, but every win you achieve results in 10 rating change less then it would have, had you started competitive play earlier in the game. Why? The Diamond rank is full at the moment, and if you are placed in Diamond, someone else must derank lower then you to keep the numbers where they need to be.

This results in a skewed dynamic where there are a ton of people in Gold, Platinum, and Diamond who should either be higher or lower, but because the system has to keep a population in specific brackets, the only way for you to break out is to either be way better then you are, or way worse then the game says you are.

Evidence: The worst brackets to play in are the aforementioned Gold, Platinum, and Diamond. They are the most difficult to move out of, and offer the worst player experience across the board.

If you have a better theory, I would love to hear it.

It was more of a rhetorical question to prompt readers to consider the reason why.

I’ve been unable to find a player base population distribution by rank that has any sort of credibility. At one point, it was speculated that Diamond was the top 10% of players; last rumor I heard had it at top 20% instead, so if there’s any variation in the pop per rank, your hypothesis would be proven as invalid. Unfortunately we don’t know.

Addressed above.

I just had my initial placement in Gold 2, right at the bottom end of your list of difficult ranks to climb out of. Climbed to GM5. My evidence is experience.

With enough data, the game will slowly get you to the rank you deserve to be at. It cannot be perfect, and people need to understand that. Better players are generally at better ranks, and if not, they have the opportunity to prove otherwise.

Oh yea, the “certain amount of players required per rank” hypothesis goes right out the window when you look at Open Queue, where T500 goes all the way down to Diamond 1 iirc.

Which is why I prefaced the statement with;

I can’t know, just like you can’t know.

So we will go anecdotal, okay.

My smurf account where I only played 150 ranked games as Reinhardt only capped out at Masters in Overwatch 1. The details around this are fairly awesome.

I live in Alaska. My average ping is 90 on any given day. Throughout my Overwatch career I lived in Platinum. I lived there with an approximate 60% win rate on Reinhardt, with which I had 900 hours on going into Overwatch “2”. I was stuck in Plat, period. Now I could have possibly dug out of that hole, if I played enough games, and did the grind. What was really telling was when I went to visit family in Arizona.

My brother had just built a pretty decent rig. It ran Overwatch at about 150 frames consistently. But the real pay day was that in Phoenix Arizona, the ping was at 30 for pretty much every game. I purchased a smurf, played up to level 25, and then did 150 comp games. Again, just as Reinhardt to make sure I didn’t personally skew the data. (Addendum, I did swap to a better tank when needed on my main account.) As a Rainhardt 1 trick, I hit Masters fairly easily, and from there maintained that rank for the majority of my games.

Now, does that mean I am a masters player? Or did I use mad hacks and my “real” rank is Plat, but I happen to game the system and rank up?

See, I can’t even really tell you. I distrust the ability for Blizzard to make a system that is worth a damn, that I have no way to definitively tell whether my main account is who I am or if my smurf is the accumulated total of my personal ability. Leaving you wondering does not make a good case for a system that exists in the game today, and it makes me look at the things Cleopatra says as pure fact when it becomes reasonable to want to try within the system itself.

Maybe. But we will never get enough of that data will we.

Main question is, will you endure related suffering long enough to get there.

The short answer, no, no I will not.

The long answer;

I did, twice. It wasn’t a mistake per se, more like, a misunderstanding about the motives in a design choice. I wanted to move my main account out of Platinum. A few times I was close. I was unsure of what the issue was. I tested this theory by removing most of my limiting factors. PC specs, latency, and experience were on my side for my second attempt. Much like I thought, I was a better player, so says the game, then my account with 1500 or so hours devoted to it.

Or

I am not, and the system is just so broken, it makes no difference what you do as long as you do it on a new account. I could feasibly, back then, purchased a third account, and placed much lower. I can’t know, because I did not purchase the third account.

At this stage in Overwatch’s life cycle, my main account will remain 100% in Quick Play. I have zero desire to play competitive Overwatch. The system that is put in place is not transparent and, in my opinion, is thrown together with duct tape and super glue to even function. Playing a dice game has more reliability then Blizzard’s matchmaking and ranking system.

You would have to have more then 500 people in GM for this to be the case. Top 500 is a list of players from the #1 to the #500, not truly a rank. Understandable that T500 is technically all the best GM’s in PC Role Queue. But that’s because the there are enough players there to grant it that status.

Now that I think about it, this kind of supports my theory. If the T500 were all GM level players, then the ranks in Open Queue would be Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, some Diamond, and Grand Master. But, because each rank has a required amount of player percentage, you can’t turn a Diamond into a Grand Master just because there are only 1000 (not the real number) people playing that game mode.

Yes I’ve been rank 320. I understand how T500 works.

The point was that there are currently not many GMs in Open Queue, which goes against your hypothesis of Blizzard requiring a certain amount of players per rank.

…ya, like I stated,

Bro you can’t edit your comment after I reply and expect me to have considered your edited part, lol.

I don’t think you’re onto anything meaningful with that hypothesis.

I may not be, but you haven’t given any reasonable response that lays out how you believe it works.

I already said, and this will be the third time, I cannot know for sure how the system works. My experience tells me that is does “work”. My opinion is, it works like ____.

Just like I’m not on astronomy forums commenting on what I think about the understanding of black holes, I’m also not here pretending that I have complete understanding on something that is incredibly complicated, and in Blizzard’s case deliberately secret.

What I do occasionally do here, is point out some flaws in reasoning.

As for having different results with different accounts: you listed so many variables, but there remains 1 significant variable that you didn’t mention in your case: every game is different. If I make 2 new accounts today, and do my placements, I will probably not place the exact same rank.

And this is why I even feel compelled to comment about it.

If the system that is implemented is rational, your experience of placing differently on 2 brand new accounts should not happen.

The system exists. Blizzard gets the results from the system they have implemented. My issue is, Blizzard is bad at making systems based on every other system in existence you can compare it to.

You can stand open jawed all day at the fact someone has the gall to call Blizzard out on it. I may be wrong, but if I bet money on it, I would bet I am not too far off from the reality of how they designed their algorithm.

Show me where your healing is actually impactful compared to other supports that are engaging to play.

Kiriko, Ana and Baptiste all get more room to actively engage in the fight around them because they can do something other than just the healing to make the heal more effective and then go back to doing other things. When you can E on Kiriko and stop a small window of damage in order for your heals to feel more burst like, when you can E on Ana and heal twice as fast and heal up your squishies with it, it’s a massive burst. When you Baptiste Shift (?) his burst heal around him is stronger on critical team mates, so he can wait to react.

Mercy holds left click and prays that their team mate doesn’t keep standing in front of them on 20hp and takes more damage compared to what she heals. Mercy cannot DO ANYTHING to PREVENT SOMETHING. She is a mobile health kit that gets told she shouldn’t heal and should instead damage boost which is still one target and those same dumb players don’t hit their shots.

Mercy needs something in her kit that allows her independence and even slight personal playmaking capability. Too much of her kit relies on her team mates to not be dumb as rocks in order to be good, but she is friendly to players with low mechanical skill and the higher you go, the less likely it is they want you to use her over someone else.

Less spectate, more action. No one wants to spectate the other players on your team. You can be mechanically easy and still have engaging skills that are complex without being aim focused for difficulty. Reward players for not standing still and just right clicking or left clicking the whole game. Lets not have a clunky E that hardly has a place in OW2 with less defenses from your team to safely do them when it will actually matter.

1 Like

Vorpal#1784. Add me and I’ll show you sometime. Spectate. It is WoW day today though.