Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Valkyrie is the least powerful, least complex, least engaging, least fun, and the least inspiring ability of Mercy’s kit.

As such, it is not an ultimate.

If Valkyrie is an ultimate, then holding w to walk forward is an ultimate.

8 Likes

Factually, Blizzard solely determines what the ultimate is for each character, and how said ultimate operates

Factually, Blizzard has determined that Valkyrie is Mercy’s ultimate, defined how it functions, coded it to operate as such, and documented how it works for we the players

1 Like

Although the above is stated as fact, I find it to be opinion, and I disagree with the opinion

I find her ultimate to be powerful, effective, and fun to use.

Jayne has stated (even before the recent buff) that it is one of the most powerful in the game

I have already addressed this in essence in my earlier response to Titanium.

That is true, however it is impossible to deny the fact that there are many more that do miss mass rez and want to see it return to the game.

9 Likes

I would not myself use the word “deny”, or “fact”

I would instead say that I don’t believe there is valid proof of either side being the majority

I do not believe this survey to be valid

Although the above is stated as fact, I find it to be opinion, and I disagree with the opinion.

From my experience, Valkyrie is the most powerless ability in the game.

Then this whole discussion is pointless, as every fact is somehow “not valid” “not a fact” or doesn’t fit with your “experience”.

9 Likes

Factually, I did not state it as fact, I stated it as opinion: “I find…”

“These facts and arguments are against my personal opinion so they arent true!”

Thats for many of you the best and sole argument you have. While others come with stats, facts and good ideas you only spam the word “factually” with nothing behind it.

6 Likes

The only proof - if it can be called that, dubious at best - I can offer you in this regard is the many posts on the forums where people say they do not want mass rez to return

I dont think that valid data exists to prove that either side is a majority

I agree.

That said, factually, there are rules and proper methodologies to be followed to produce valid, meaningful results.

Factually, I never claimed anything of the sort

I respectfully disagree

If I use the word “factually” in a sentence, I am expressing a fact in said sentence, such as “Mercy’s ultimate is called Valkyrie”. As such, I believe there is something “behind it”

From my point of view, many of the stats others present are flawed or do not prove the point, things like using pick rates to then say what characters are fun and what characters are not fun

From my point of view, many of the statements others present as facts are actually opinions; statements like “Mercy’s healing is weak”.

From my point of view, many of the ideas that others present are not (in my opinion) good ones; things like reverting mercy back to a state where she has/had multi-rez.

I believe that I am within my rights to discuss such things in these discussion forums

Come on.
Respectfully; did you actually read Titaniums post?

When people say ‘mercys ultimate is on e’ they’re referring to the fact that (not only that they actually did move her ultimate onto her E) that mercy’s E is so strong that they’ve had to place as many restrictions on it as an ultimate has, that it has the impact (for the most part) of an ultimate and that when people pick mercy they generally do so for res.

It is her strong suit and defining trait.

During a game it’s rather telling that everyone wants you to press res but nobody asks for call don’t you think?

Also to address your other point, at least for me, valk feels like a 'glorified spectator mode’s because it takes away the only (or at least most) engaging part of mercys kit, Guardian Angel.

When you call you really don’t have to do anything except hold down left click and afk.

And be disappointed because your team’s likely going to die anyway of they have at least one actually impactful Q.

7 Likes

Yes. It consisted of the following, and nothing else: "Yep. It’s on her E. "

I dont pick Mercy for rez only - I pick her for her entire kit

Other Mercy mains I know do not pick Mercy for rez only - they pick her for her entire kit

In my opinion, a good Mercy player uses her entire kit as applicable throughout the match

All that said, factually - if a player has E for Mercy linked to Rez, then Mercy’s ultimate is not on E

It is one of her strong suits and defining traits

Personally, I dont think it takes away from GA at all, and I do not feel like I am a spectator when using Valkyrie

I never do either of those things while playing Overwatch whether in Valkyrie or not, so I cant speak to that

Thats what many of the ults do - they kill players, sometimes many players. Our team will generally have ults like that as well.

I am remembered!!!

2 Likes

Alright, apologies in advance for Spelling errors or formatting problems. I am on mobile but you seem to be willing to listen here so I’ll try and explain myself (and titanium if they don’t mind) better.

First Titanium compared the restrictions placed on ressurect to the very tellingly similar restrictions placed on ultimates. Which I won’t quote since it’s a tad long but it is the second list under the ‘Resurrect’ section.

Second they included a direct quote from Jeff which is convenient because I was about to go look it up;

I would also quote here Jeff stating that they moved her ultimate to her E in the original rework developer update but formatting that was already a nightmare.

So; either you did not read Titaniums post, you diddn’t understand it or you’re deliberatley misrepresenting it.

(For some reason i can’t quote anymore)
“I don’t pick mercy for Rez only - I pick her for her entire kit”

As do I
What I meant (and I did say in general) was that a large chunk of Mercy’s value to a team is in her resurrect. Similar to how you would swap to Lucio for sound barrier or pick Hanzo for a dragon combo.

“All that said, factually - if a player has E for Mercy linked to Rez, then Mercy’s ultimate is not on E”

I’m hesitant to say ‘nobody’ because that would be a fallacy, but most people are not saying that if you press Q on Mercy in Overwatch right now you will cast Resurrect.
They are pointing out, as Titanium and I and, from what I’ve read, quite a few others, that Resurrect has the inherent power of an ultimate, and as the quote from Jeff that’s in Titaniums post reads, the devs are actually inclined to agree to an extent.

“Personally, I dont think it takes away from GA at all, and I do not feel like I am a spectator when using Valkyrie”

If that’s so, I’m happy for you. I can’t hope to discredit your personal experience but I’d like to pose a question;

When you use Valkyrie do you truly have to consider when where an how to use your Guardian Angel and what punishment do you receive for making the wrong decision?

What risks are there for using your ultimate at the wrong time? Especially considering it charges so fast that many people have posed that the best way to use it is like a cool down (see Niandras videos if you need a quote, I believe she mentions it here What Mercy Can Get Away With At Platinum | Mercy Commentary VODs #11 - YouTube )

""When you call you really don’t have to do anything except hold down left click and afk.*

I never do either of those things while playing Overwatch whether in Valkyrie or not, so I cant speak to that"

First I mean to say ‘ult’.
Second it was a slight exaggeration
Third (sorry I can’t resist) you never hold down left click in Overwatch? Chuckle

Yes and support ults usually save players from said ults that kill players. See; Coalescence, Transcendence, Sound Barrier and Nano Boost. Even to a smaller extent Rally.

However I can’t press Valk to counter any of these things ( except perhaps to save myself from Genji ult)
A decent use of valk is actually to go battle mercy and pistol down the enemy widow or pharah assuming you have the ability to do so quickly so as not to rob your team of a healer.
Which is antithetical to what the devs stated their aims for mercy to be.

I hope that made sense. I have had no sleep and am on mobile.

6 Likes

Greylai:
the post I responded (that you in turn responded to) to consisted solely of the following, and nothing else:

"Yep. It’s on her E. "

I am sorry that you feel I was responding to a different post, but to be fair, I quoted what I was responding to.

Im referring to THE post at the top of this thread l. The massive thesis that Titanium wrote.

I understand

I was not replying to that post.

I was replying to what I quoted.

Perhaps then I managed to shed some light on what they meant.

The light I am still hoping to be shed is what the name of the ability is that Titanium has mapped to her E key for Mercy