Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Congrats

Sigh

What about these? :cry:

Down time is 10 seconds unless point in contested which case the time you stay dead will increase

As for damage reduction, scroll up the essay I wrote… it covers what a 33% reduction to heroes will do.

Also your line of Sight idea is vague, it can’t be done like McCree type of Los sniping

You need to elaborate on the idea

The fact that they silenced the person who made this thread goes to show what kind of people we’re dealing with here. No toxicity intended btw. :wink:

16 Likes

Did you see the reply that got him suspended? It’s kinda obvious that the mods were just looking for anything to suspend him.
2:50

[Dev’s, feel free to delete this reply if you don’t like it.]
24 Likes

Let’s see if it survives

I like what you have written. It is very insightful. There are a few things I observe that differ from your perspective.

No, I am not a game developer. Nor do I want to be a game developer. The bulk of my knowledge is derived from the massive amount of time I have spent playing different video games. Even though this has no basis on what goes on in the “meetings” the game developers have, video games, in bulk, are not super complex. I don’t mean this to be declaration that all people in the video game industry don’t have to work hard, or work well. Some video games are more complex, but not the ones Blizzard creates.

This is the most important statement you made in my opinion. This is also what burns me the most as a consumer of Blizzard games. There was no reason to give Mercy invulnerability during resurrect. Blizzard added this because in some meeting they must have had a “wheel of change” that they spun to determine what new change was going into the game.

But,

This is Blizzard. Their mantra seems to be that no decision at Blizzard is ever a bad decision. They hack and slice off things from different aspects of their games and when it doesn’t turn out how they wanted the first unit to be blamed is the player themselves. “People just aren’t playing him/her as we designed them to be, its your fault.” or “We know its the weakest thing available, and people play it anyway, but we want to nerf it more because we here at Blizzard don’t like it.”

I cannot say enough that I enjoyed reading your input. I agree with many things you stated. The one disagreement I have is that Blizzard has simply grown too big for their own good. They aren’t your normal game developers. The ego of Blizzard management needs to be housed in a building as large as Blizzard headquarters itself. The only reason, again my opinion, that Blizzard stays the top dog is because there is no better alternative to what they offer, at least not an alternative to the masses.

16 Likes

They managed to bring back an ultimate concept that was scrapped during the beta. (3 years ago I think) Maybe there is some hope. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is pretty much true for any games, a lot of people who sort of understand coding can go, well if you do it this way… then you could get that result.

However, not everything is left to the creators/developers of the game. Just like any cooperate company, you will have upper management and people who manage the game that may not see eye to eye with what the community/developers want.

They want results and if something doesn’t seem logical, then it doesn’t matter, they will turn down even the most spectacular proposals. Which is why you sometimes end up with games taking such a huge directional change with something you can’t help but wonder, what the … were they thinking?

There also the issue of profit, long term solution, short solutions, benefits to the game as a whole and of course balance and current goals.

Like I won’t deny it, Titanium has written a wonderful proposal, but… the question is, will it align with the current and long term goals of Blizzard, or specifically the upper management running the game. (It all becomes corporate politics lol)

There is some partial truth to this… but then again this is true in regards to mankind.

There are millions of us out there in the world… we’re not going to copy one another or do something the way someone expects it to be done.

I use to advise people What works for you, may not work for them and vice versa. You can give the advice but it is ultimately up to you to find your own style of gameplay.

Also just recently I release a Interactive Novel Game, a VN… reviews were great, was just a small fan project to improve story writing… but no one has commented on the Epilogue/after credit scene so yeah…

Yeah sadly it can happen to anyone, it doesn’t have to be Blizzard but any corporate business in the world can suffer from being too prideful about themselves.

The question is… how do they mend that PR relationship with the community. I mean look at NCSoft… they spent so long delaying the release of BNS it just lost hype in the west.

For Square Enix, their brilliant plan was to abandon their work so far and restart on an engine that wasn’t their in house one!

Doesn’t have to be just gaming… other corporate businesses in the world has suffered to.

6 Likes

It’s not so much Mercy’s poor state that upsets me but how anti consumer the devs have been to the community as a whole. Overwatch doesn’t deserve this level of negligence and poor behavior. I would go as far as saying that there needs to be new management because this simply can’t go on.

20 Likes

Only severe drop of profits from Overwatch would cause any reaction. So, unless majority stops watching OWL streams completely, we have little hope :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Little did Blizz know that suspending Titanium would get this post even more popular than before

18 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!

1 Like

Great thread guys!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::black_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::black_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::black_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::black_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::orange_heart::orange_heart::orange_heart::orange_heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::heart:
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

now mobile friendly

10 Likes

The absolute madman did it xD

2 Likes

I haven’t once watched OWL because it’s blatantly obvious they care not about their actual game vs the cashcow that is OWL.

It’s sad. This game used to be fun. The community, more specifically the “this is an FPS” community is toxic af, and need some schooling on what a hero shooter is and that not all characters need to pewpewpew to be viable… but the game was fun.

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

Hearts for Titanium

12 Likes

I would like to acknowledge another well written post, but will simply stick to the question asked.

From where I sit there is no one answer to this. I can start from a historical perspective.

The first Blizzard game I was privy to experience was World of Warcraft. Jeff Kaplan’s World of Warcraft. Back in the mid 2000’s Mr. Kaplan was praised regularly for his part, and the part of his team, for creating the standard of what an MMO should be. It is one of few MMO’s left with the subscription model and currently the most popular as far as available data.

When I started playing WoW the trend at the time for the games developers was that if something needs to change then they changed it and didn’t look back. Content was created as it was, as difficult as it was, and gated by the time investment and community. There were aspects of the game that people, the community, wanted changed. Blizzard’s response “Play it the way we made it, or don’t play it.”

This period of time saw massive growth in World of Warcraft. More growth then any other time in it’s history. Players themselves were in control of who received the opportunity to witness and participate in end game content. Though, without the other players the content would have been hidden forever. This created a cycle of contentment. “I need 40 people for this content and even though I don’t want to take rogues I have to because we need 40 people.” Blizzard saw this and enjoyed the profit.

To make the game more accessible to all paying customers Blizzard watered down content and made it completely inclusionary. Blizzard also removed in game time gates, at least the method previously used in classic. This took control away from the community via making content so easy and accessible the achievement and accolades were all but removed. When the game was developed in this manner Blizzard saw an upturn in people wanting to play the game, and a downturn in those who wanted to remain in the game for a substantial amount of time. This would culminate in what I believe to be the largest disaster Blizzard ever experienced in the form of Warlords of Draenor.

Fast forward to Overwatch. We have an entirely inclusive style game. There are posts daily on the forums about how everyone has the right to play however they want to. If you are warned and later banned because people are reporting you then the system is flawed because you should be able to play however you want to. Jeff Kaplan has multiple times stated this as fact. Those same people who complain about other people oppressing them and their hero selection would be angered when someone choose Mercy as the solo support when the game was released. “She simply isn’t strong enough.” said the spotlight ranger Damage Dealers.

How does Blizzard respond?

Lets give Mercy invulnerability to make her more accessible to everyone and guarantee resurrect. Historically Blizzard should have stated “Play it the way we made it, or don’t play it.” During the cycle of unmatched popularity in World of Warcraft this answer would have been correct.

Why didn’t they?

As Blizzard’s model has changed so too has their willingness to stand by their original decisions. Blizzard lost the community when they started to “play nice”. When they took a second look at their own development and decided because a few people don’t like this we need to change it.

“how do they mend that PR relationship with the community?”

Unless one of Blizzard’s IP’s is time machine, I don’t think they can.

Slightly off topic, but in the same realm of discussion.

What do you think it would be like if Hidetaka Miyazaki of Dark Souls changed all the things people complain about in his game series? Would Dark Souls be the defining title of that genre, or would it lose its grip and fall into obscurity to “be more inclusive to the people who might want to play my game for 10 minutes.”

6 Likes

Don’t forget about how Riot reverted Kog’Maw and Rengar, two champions that feel like absolute garbo to play against no matter how fed they are.

Sometimes, reverting is the best case scenario for the lack of allocating resources and time to fix a hero. It’s clear that Blizz doesn’t want to spend a sliver of time actually tweaking Mercy, so reverting her would make the most people happy.

11 Likes

No? it would make the already great game even better.

you simply don’t get a worse diamond after polishing it and cutting it up.

Pretty interesting, people tried to get me into wow but I didn’t want to maintain a subscription.

In regards to OverWatch, the game was the Game of the Year because it allowed freedom and diversity. Anyone from any genre can buy the game, pick it up and play it.

You can be from a MMORPG Background, console, RTS, Dota, Moba, 1st Person Shooter or 3rd Person Shooter and you will find your place in the game.

Even the game’s marketing promoted this and this is where the contradiction comes in.

The game should be diverse and flexible, you should play what ever you want and shouldn’t be criticised yet people choose to one trick, which in itself isn’t wrong but not healthy for the game.

Blizzard have tried to shift the meta, adjust heroes and the way the game is played. They wanted to give people freedom yet toxicity descended and no one did anything.

We were enforced to play a 2/2/2 set up, we are forced to play a specific handful of Meta heroes and when One Tricking was made Ok, it became and issue where selfishness became a norm.

If you get reported you can be reported for anything, not just selecting a hero to play, but you behaviour and attitude towards other players, you comments back towards them and so forth.

It becomes a state of self destruction as the game suffocates itself. The ‘Standard’ is so beaten into people, people cannot flex around and be flexible. In the end, it becomes do I play this game for my own selfish needs to have fun or do I play this game as intended and win with my team.

Blizzard has no way of enforcing a ‘Please play it this way’ because they can’t. The game was designed with flexibility in mind and therefore, even if one tricking is wrong, even if troll picking is wrong, even if a hero was reworked and isn’t played correctly… there is literally nothing Blizzard can do because the act of giving freedom to the community means that we are entitled to say sod it and play however we want.

But does that contribute to sabotage? Maybe… but then there are other rules that contradict that.

Even YouTubers like Stylosa cannot argue against one trickers having ‘Fun’. To win and play as the game is intended and to play and have fun are two different thing.

They also cannot apply hero restriction because that takes away the ‘Freedom’ that this game offers to its community.

5 Likes