Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

I expect them to merge healing and damage boost into one beam, so Mercy could heal and hurt at the same time, making Valkyrie completely braindead in the process.

1 Like

I just started looking into the numbers (win rates, pick rates, etc) and was floored when I saw where Mercy was. At first when the 50 HPS nerf came out it didn’t feel too unmanageable, but after playing a lot more I’ve come to the conclusion that this nerf is really what is killing Mercy right now. You really hit the nail on the head here with your 60 HPS section, MrPlsandTy.

I’ve mained Mercy since season 1 and this is the only time in the game’s history where I’ve decided to main off-healers (brig, zen, lucio) instead. In fact, her HPS are so unreliable now in team fights that I’m thinking of categorizing her into an off-healer.

I believe my Mercy win rate this season is an abysmal 37% lol.

3 Likes

I would be very happy with that abilty if it was in the game, It sounds really fun.

2 Likes

It would add a layer of mechanical skill to mercy so many then people would stop with the no aim thing too ;o

(even though mercy has a projectile pistol which is pretty hard to use since projectiles.)

3 Likes

With that sort of a win rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if your SR has plummeted significantly. A couple of the streamers I watch are Mercy mains, and so far, without exception, they have dropped several hundred SR points this season.

Best wishes on your next games.

That’s the thing I don’t get – why so many people think Mercy is easy. There are 2 DPS mains I have watched play Mercy recently: Seagull and Kabaji. And they both fumbled a lot in playing her at their SR levels. Using Mercy to pocket is easy – the difficult part of Mercy’s kit is to triage heal the whole team while keeping themselves totally safe. And since triage healing is a silent contribution, it is not well suited to the mentality of players who wants to go for flashy plays.

At a deeper level, Mercy has limited potential to do the occasional clutch plays – something that Kabaji regularly did in his streams as support when he played heroes according to the votes of his followers (he did it for a couple of months), and I define clutch plays thusly: an ability/resource on cooldown that a player can use reliably to create initiative (i.e. makes the enemy team back off, allowing the allied team to be more aggressive). Zen is so good at this with his discord orb, and an instance when Ana does this is when she lobs a well-placed bio grenade in the middle of the enemy team.

TLDR – I want a different E-ability for Mercy, and it should be something flashy that can provide clutch play moments for her.

5 Likes

Please, devs. We miss Mercy being a strategist hero that made a big difference if you were good at planning 3 steps ahead.

She feels like a healbot now. Being a 24/7 sidekick is no fun.

15 Likes

She doesn’t even feel like that. Usually everything you do is not enough.

9 Likes

I would like to see Mercy do anything else healing. Now she feels like heal-res-heal-valk. Pretty boring gameplay. This new abilities rly needed (Biotic Shield, Pacify or Bless).

1 Like

I’m honestly still baffled that the 50 hps nerf did this much (although the difference isn’t felt as much on console where I play), and I think the psychological effect is pretty big too - why play a character the devs now made clear they will nerf anything to “keep in line”? So now we’re stuck with this husk of a rework, with a character who spends her time healing-flying-healing-flying-rez-healing-ulting-healing while ulting-boosting a bit-healing-flying-rez-healing.

Much fun. Much thanks.

11 Likes

While on PC it is noticeable. Almost everything she does is “not enough”.

13 Likes

Great post Titanium. I haven’t read all but most of it is fantastic.

Only quibble - no personal invul back in the day made rez mostly worthless… adding a cast time to that only makes it worse.

You may as well not have the ult.

Maybe a passive on cooldown that gives health total boost and/or damage reduction so she can survive to use her ult? If you had that then adding a cast time and no invul wouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

Easy: it means that even weakest gun in game(Moira’s drain beam) completely negates healing. It’s edge between main healers and off-healers. Now Mercy has to heal with biotic nade for anywhere sufficient healing.

And it increased time to top off tanks noticeably: from 10 to 12 s to fully heal Roadhog, from 8 to 10 s for Reinhardt. By coincidence, time increase is equal to time it takes to resurrect one, so Mercy is expected to resurrect tanks now - which isn’t possible without another tank.

1 Like

Hmmm, I agree with both your points, with the caveat that with regards to your comment, Quizzy, about keeping Mercy in line, I am inclined to think that Blizzard is dealing with unintended consequences when they nerfed Mercy’s HPS.

In terms of win rates, well, based on my pursuit.gg stats (I don’t use Overbuff anymore, it feels kinda wonky, imho), I find my current QP win rates pretty much the same as my competitive win rates (last season I did was in season 10, I don’t have time to do comp anymore). So I honestly kinda agree, QuizzyBunny, that it doesn’t feel that much different to me in PC (the platform where I play).

What I have noticed, though, is that there is a decrease in my healing as Mercy and Ana, although my Moira healing is still pretty much the same.

My guess (and take this with a grain of salt, since I’m super casual) is that Mercies are losing more tank fights. Ana’s bio-nade and Moira’s yellow healing spray has always been strong, and I suspect that 10 HPS nerf made a really big difference into tipping the balance in Ana’s and Moira’s favor. In this respect, I agree with you, Cleopatra.

2 Likes

Seeing as Jeff is reading the forums right now… can we get some Mercy feedback?

11 Likes

Mercy can’t heal fast enough, can’t shoot fast enough, can’t deal damage fast enough, can’t Rez fast enough, and sometimes can’t even fly fast enough against competent hitscan heroes. She can’t do anything efficiently whereas every other Healer can do at least two of those things + having more unique utility.

If Blizzard decides to leave Mercy to rot like this, honestly just revert her. Or rework her if they have the time and resources. Nobody is enjoying this iteration of Mercy, not even Mercy’s players.

25 Likes

sincerely doubt jeff would respond again given how his last response on the subject was treated

1 Like

It was worth a shot. Wanted to bring this back onto the main page.

It needs to be addressed. Even the partial data from Overbuffs, her pickrate in Diamond and above is abysmal. There’s a reason for this.

3 Likes

You pretty much summed it up quite nicely, Inplane. :+1:

3 Likes

Commenting on Titanium’s rework proposal:

Pacify would be really good for Mercy’s statistical skill expression (as in, “skill” as far as a computer can tell).

Right now Mercy’s tracked stats are:

Healing/Defensive assists
Damage/Elims
Damage boosted/offensive assists
Rez count

What’s interesting is that Mercy actually doesn’t have very much control over most of her stats.

Offensive/Defensive assists and Damage Boost put most of the performance burden on Mercy’s teammates. You can’t control how good or bad your teammate’s aim is, or anything else like that… And if you pull out your pistol and try to improve your own damage/elim stats, you’re abandoning your role and are better off switching.

The only stats a Mercy player has any significant amount of control over, is healing and rez count (the latter is no longer true after being gutted). The rest tend to be considered only minor contributions to Mercy’s overall stats.

Pacify would add a new stat: “Damage Suppressed.”

An enemy dying while Pacified would count as an offensive assist (something that Mercy normally doesn’t get very often).

This gives stat tracking algorithms much more to consider when looking at a Mercy player’s performance statistics. It also gives players more ways to pop off and separate themselves from the pack as an “elite” Mercy player.

8 Likes

Hope dies last. But yeah, I think they don´t want to fan the flames like the last time