Why I can't see Gency happening

I didnt nitpick on their age differences only you just have a short sighted reading comprehension to read the rest of my og reply.

So those 2 adults consenting and opening to each other is wrong BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE IT but the other 2 adults that I dont like ARE TOTALLY ACCPETABLE TO GO INTO A RELATIONSHIP BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT?
sure, biased much?

btw this is a nice joke, only forum posters who want mercy to be not straight are those “everyone”.

yes because genji has no brain at all to know when he is getting used and mercy is an evil psycopath that can manipulate peoples minds into doing whatever she wants because she used modern tech (so didnt even have to attend any procedure) to revive them. Sure bud tell yourself whatever you want so you sleep well at night.

i still like your extremely short reading comprehension to read the rest of my reasoning on why i just dont like a relation.

4 words
THE INTERNET IS WEIRD

1 Like

i mean if i’m being honest all of your reasons why pharmercy wouldn’t work are just a bunch of nonsense issues that aren’t even problems at all. you literally compare their age gap to the morality of an 11 y/o and 17 y/o and further push the idea that mercy would be taking advantage of her when pharah is full-fledged adult in her 30s. once somebody is in their 30s they are just as mentally mature as anybody else as it’s been proven scientifically people’s brains stop developing in your early 20s…

the ana excuse is also a flimsy one; regardless that mercy had worked with ana, she is still much more likely to view ana as a superior age-wise as ana is elderly, and pharah as a peer as she’s only 5 years older than her when they are both adults. you also state they are too different as people to get along and have a healthy relationship, despite genji being much more similar to pharah in personality than mercy, either.

the problem here is the past genji and mercy share that pharah and mercy do not. canonically, in the lore, pharah has never been critically wounded or near death in that mercy was assigned to her as a doctor/caregiver and tasked in keeping her alive.

as a LOT of people in this thread have stated, doctor and patient relationships IRL are incredibly unrealistic and often fueled by the patient, who in their unstable mental state, begin to fall in love with their caretaker for saving their life where their caretaker is only doing what they’re paid to do. mercy was only doing her job. genji also really likes to reiterate in their interactions that she saved him, which leads one to believe he is not in the right mindset if this is the reason he is romantically interested in her as he feels he owes her for what she has done, and it would be doubly wrong for angela in her position of authority as his doctor in the past to use this as an excuse to date him.

pharah and mercy do not share this dynamic, hence it would be a much healthier relationship, and would be founded more on principles and other things they have in common. pharah has never, in the lore, had to rely so extensively on mercy as genji has, thus ultimately neither woman would have more power over the other were they to develop a relationship.

3 Likes

BTW, nobody is asking or expecting you to have reasons for disliking a pairing. sometimes ships just won’t jive with people for absolutely no reason at all, and that’s OK. i’d much rather have someone come out and admit they did not like a ship without having an explanation or good reason as to why than to fumble around and take a shot in the dark by creating or using excuses that don’t make any sense or are contradictory to facts.

1 Like

I wont bother responding to you anymore because

1. Everyone has reason to like whatever they want
  2. because you dislike something you think everyone should
  3. you cant even write something that makes sense
1 Like

what? lol

1: of course everyone has reason to like whatever they want; i have multiple for pharmercy and every other mercy ship i enjoy.
2: nowhere did i or anybody state everyone else should dislike gency. i shared my opinion with almost everybody else in this thread why we’re uncomfortable with it and don’t think realistically in the game it works. nobody said “don’t ship it”.
3: i can’t? you didn’t even have mercy’s age correct.

But it was point where Gabe and Morrison changed from friends to enemies, as Morrison clearly took a lot of flak from public, being public face of Overwatch.

Whole Blackwatch situation was turned into internal investigation of Overwatch, rather than wide public process. But since key advantage of Blackwatch was them operating under the radar, all involved agents were suspended.

To think of it, Genji could be send to that mission, because of Mercy: someone with high enough medical training was supposed to keep an eye on him, and Mercy was most familiar with his case.

FFS this whole post is literally crazy…

To whom this may concern (Crazy shippers who are trying to disregard other people’s head canon’s thinking"Gency" is canon)

Why can’t people just accept that people are free to ship whom they want? It’s not everybody here but A LOT of you are trying to push this “ship” and make it canon. That is fine if you ACKNOWLEDGE it’s your opinion but STOP claiming it as fact. Nothing is canon yet. Chu never announced anything yet so why are Gency shippers trying to say “LULZ This is canon you are wrong!” and stuff it down everyone’s throats?

Even if it IS canon people are still gonna ship what they want. I just can’t believe how some shippers are so entitled thinking that they can say whatever is canon and make it fact.

They never should have added these lines.

4 Likes

I wonder if Mercy will take Genji’s last name? Your thoughts? I think she’s gonna go with a hyphen. Angela Shimada-Ziegler :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair, they’ve changed the ages so often and made so many comics contradicting previous information that I totally get why people are confused.

Have they? I don’t remember seeing any contradicting information or changed ages . . . Brigitte’s age was wrong when they initially uploaded her bio, but Chu admitted to that right away and it was fixed in a few days. As far as I’ve seen, the info in the comics has been consistent.

2 Likes

Well, originally when the Christmas photo with Torb, Brigitte and Rein was released a fan asked who’s kids it was, to which the response was “Torbjörn’s” - this was later “clarified” to be his grandchildren (then why not say so from the start though?).

Then there’s the classic “DVA is a Starcraft pro… except she isn’t”. I’m pretty sure there’s been more, but I can’t remember them off the bat.

He said it was his children and grandchildren a year before Brigitte came out and corrected it for the people who didn’t hear it.

The D.Va Starcraft Pro is a retcon though.

2 Likes

But why plural? Only Brig is his daughter, as I believe she’s been referred to as the youngest (and if she’s not her sibling must have had kids very young!).

I think they may not have even planned on making Brig a Lindholm at the time honestly…

She has been hinted at since the comic as we have seen her with Reinhardt take out a gang. She was Torb’s daughter I think even since then? I could be wrong.

I do recall an old interaction with Mercy telling Reinhardt to stop dragging Brigitte along and Torbjorn has one as well where he says “you can’t change her mind she is a lindholm” or something.

1 Like

It’s true about the Mercy comment, but she wasn’t referenced as Torb’s daughter then. The other one I don’t recognize.

But really, I feel I have derailed the thread a lot, and that was not my intention.

Sorry Sil!

2 Likes

Two examples hardly seems like “so many”.

The fan asked “Whose children are those? Torb’s, Rein’s or Brigitte’s?” and rather than type out a full sentence, the PlayOverwatch Twitter (NOT Michael Chu, the guy in charge of the lore) responded with “They’re Torb’s.” The assumption of them being Torb’s kids rather than grandkids was made by the fan, and the official Twitter didn’t bother correcting him.

The retcon about D.Va’s top game is actually a retcon, but it also makes sense - playing StarCraft wouldn’t really give you the skills that would make you a good mech pilot.

2 Likes

4 months later we got the Uprising Spray that confirmed it.

I don’t think it was quite similar to that, as (I think) Mercy only really headed the surgery to give genji his cyborg limbs, and afterward she only asked about his health and such.

I see no problem Genji and Mercy have friendship or romantic relationship.

Firstly Overwatch world isn’t our world, it’s 60 years later our world. The rules which exist in our time can be not the same in their time. We cannot be sure about the rules.

But let’s say our rules still exist in their time. Doctor-patient relationship is the same professional, no feelings allowed in doctor job.

After she saved his life during first cyber operation (blackwatch skin) and she feels her feelings to him (friendship or romantic) starts exist, she gives him other caretaker than herself and moves on to other patients. In results of this his second cyber operation (classic skin) won’t be her work (fully or part of) and their feelings to each other can exist.

If friendship feelings can exist in their time doctor-patient relationship, their relationship can evolve into romantic years later when she’s not his doctor anymore because he doesn’t need it and he takes care of himself by himself. There she can take care of him as friend or girlfriend but the real job will take somebody else.

1 Like

In the real world, it’s less likely, this is true.
However, this IS fiction, and from a purely romanticised standpoint, it is definitely appealing to the average consumer.

1 Like