Why doesn't Reaper have any Spanish line?

So should Pharah’s native skins suddenly have her speaking one of the native languages of the Iroquois? (Just picking one of the bigger Canadian native populations).

Sometimes a skin is just a call back to something in the characters past

1 Like

Yes, it would be coherent with the theme of the skin (a skin that is not canon anyway) and would add flavour to it.

Sometimes a skin is just a call back to something in the characters past

Then why do skins like Witch Mercy have unique lines?

Dressing up and representing a tradition/culture of your family roots =/= having to know the language.

As much as you like to think you know everything about Reaper, you only know as much as everyone else given how little Blizzard has revealed about his lore. Maybe he doesn’t want to speak the language, maybe he doesn’t see a reason to, maybe the VA doesn’t feel comfortable recording lines he’s not fluent in.

7 Likes

How do you know that the El Blanco and Mariachi skins are just Reaper cosplaying as a Mexican man?

If we follow your logic, the Junker D.Va skin is just D.Va cosplaying as one of the grunts from Junkertown, yet why does she start talking like them?

As much as you like to think you know everything about Reaper

I do know everything about Reaper’s current lore.

Maybe Gabe hated spanish when he was growing up and never learned the language.
Maybe his parents were too tough on him and him not speaking Spanish is a way to hurt them back.

You aren’t even thinking about him as a person, shame on you.

The mere idea that Reaper is a ‘person’ is unconceivable, for Reaper is no longer a mere mortal and has ascended to become a supernatural and boundless creature.

Because it isn’t that necessary?

My whole family is Latino but me along with half of my family only speaks english.

Sombra speaks Spanglish, which is English with a hint of Spanish thrown in there, meaning her main language is Spanish and she learned English as a secondary language.

Gabriel has English as his FIRST language. So he naturally doesn’t have spanish or spanglish lines. Because Spanish is either a second language or not his language at all.

1 Like

So, basically what we all know. But nothing more.

Either way, maybe they’ll add something. Hanzo has no Japanese lines outside of his ult given his VA can’t speak Japanese. Keith probably isn’t fluent in Spanish or there was no reason to record Spanish for Reaper.

We can’t have everything just because we demand it.

"Boundless"
If you believed that then you wouldn’t be asking why he isn’t bound to a certain language.

If he was born in en English speaking country then he wouldn’t have any reason to learn Spanish.

Neither is having unique lines for skins like Witch Mercy and Junker D.Va, then.

We can’t have everything just because we demand it.

Demanding? No, I am not demanding, I am merely wondering and suggesting.

If you believed that then you wouldn’t be asking why he isn’t bound to a certain language.

Boundless from the grave, of course, and above the limits of both life and death.

If he was born in en English speaking country then he wouldn’t have any reason to learn Spanish.

Yes, we already know that, we are discussing about the El Blanco and Mariachi skins which I even mentioned extensively in my OP.

Chu did say they’re recording some Brazilian-portuguese VL for Lucio currently, so there is that

Wait, did you just ignore the two paragraphs i wrote?

This was stated in another thread, so maybe he will at some point.

Rip, guess I’m really done with Lucio then.

I didn’t ignore it. But I’m sad, because you keep ignoring the fact that I aknowledged that Reaper might not have had the necessity to learn Spanish, hence why I also mentioned in the OP the El Blanco and Mariachi skins should this point be brought up.

People complain about voicelines now?!?

What?! Why does Lucio getting some Portuguese VL in the future mean you’re done with him?

I am suggesting the addition of a few brief lines that would be coherent with the two skins’ theme and add flavour to them. I don’t know why some are fervently against this idea of mine.

Shouldn’t assume he knows Spanish. He’s American. Not all Americans know how to speak the language of their ancestors.