Why doesn't Reaper have any Spanish line?

Gabriel Reyes was born in the city of Los Angeles. According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey, 43.6% of the citiziens of Los Angeles speak Spanish, which makes Spanish the most spoken language in Los Angeles – even more than English (40.2%). In addition, the surname ‘Reyes’ is a typical Spanish surname, which literal translation into English is ‘Kings’, but could also be translated as ‘Royals’. Lastly, Reaper has two skins – El Blanco and Mariachi – that are clearly Mexico-themed, the country with the largest Spanish-speaking population in the world; therefore, the El Blanco and Mariachi skins should have Spanish lines at the very least.

12 Likes

For the same reason reinhardt doesn’t have any german lines, torb doesn’t have any swedish lines, pharah doesn’t have any arabic lines, zen doesn’t have any nepalese lines, and lucio doesn’t have any brazilian-portuguese lines.

20 Likes

Is this thread about Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Pharah, Zenyatta or Lucio?

No, it isn’t. Do not derail, please.

8 Likes

Because not all Latinos speak Spanish. Especially true of each sucessive generation after immigrating.

25 Likes

Likewise, not every Egyptian speaks Arabic, yet Ana has Arabic lines.

Reaper should also have Spanish lines in his El Blanco and Mariachi skins at the very least.

Maybe in his time era, his family’s generation is so far away from their roots that English is the only language they speak.

He might understand a few things, but I can’t picture him running around and dropping Spanish lines like Sombra does. It just…doesn’t suit someone like him.

10 Likes

Pharah doesn’t though :stuck_out_tongue:

Pharah doesn’t though :stuck_out_tongue:

Because she is a degenerate buffoon. What to expect from a person who looks up to Overwatch’s imperialistic and despotic methods?

Maybe in his time era, his family’s generation is so far away from their roots that English is the only language they speak.

He might understand a few things, but I can’t picture him running around and dropping Spanish lines like Sombra does. It just…doesn’t suit someone like him.

But it suits the El Blanco and Mariachi skins.

If he was born and lived in the US where the primary language is English there’s a good chance he didn’t learn it. he doesn’t need to know Spanish just because he’s Hispanic.

2 Likes

Switch your language settings to Spanish. Problem solved. Fair warning though, D.Va’s Spanish voice is quite possibly the worst thing in this entire game.

Settings

Game Settings

Overwatch/Spoken Language: Espanol/Spanish

Problem solved, amigo.

8 Likes

But not the rest of his skins.

lmaooo

People seem to only want stereotypes.

Maybe, despite his origin, someone who lived his whole life in the States would only really ever use English D:

5 Likes

If switching my game to Spanish were the solution, then Widowmaker shouldn’t have French lines in the English version --------> just switch to the French version.

But not the rest of his skins.

Just like the Baihu Genji skin’s ultimate voiceline doesn’t suit the other skins. Didn’t stop that from having unique lines.

People seem to only want stereotypes.

If stereotypes were a problem, they should just remove D.Va from the game altogether.

1 Like

Idk, BaguetteWatch seems pretty fun and promising.

Okay, you have to understand this.
If you make a post about something and asks a question people will answer and give the best answer. In this case you just totally ignores the answers that have been given and want a “real answer”?

And yes this is the EXACT same reason with Rein, Pharah etc because they neither have lines in their native language. And there is your official language, nothing will change that.

6 Likes

Widowmaker is French, Reaper is American. Most of the Hispanic people I know either don’t know any Spanish at all or know a few phrases they picked up from their Parents/Grandparents It’s not uncommon.

4 Likes

So, what do you want him to say? What should be in Spanish and why?

What if lorewise he doesn’t even speak the language? Then what? Should I speak fluent Russian because I have my roots there? Or Polish because my great-grandmother’s mother was Polish?

In this case you just totally ignores the answers that have been given and want a “real answer”?

Just like people keep ignoring the point I made about the El Blanco and Mariachi skins, and keep repeating ‘Reaper is American so he doesn’t have to know Spanish’. Yes, I know Reaper is American, I know everything about Reaper, then justify the El Blancho and Mariachi skins. Are they American-themed skins?

So, what do you want him to say? What should be in Spanish and why?

The El Blanco and Mariachi skins should have a few Spanish lines like the Pumpkin Reaper skin has unique lines.

Why should those two skins have Spanish lines? Because they are a blatant tribute to Mexico.

1 Like

“Está en el refrigerador.”

5 Likes