Why doesn't Ranked MMR Reset?

You act like there isn’t a team of professionals, whose literal job it is to be knowledgeable about these things, thinking about exactly these things. What, you think they never thought about an SR reset and what consequences this may have on game experience? Well, there you go.

There are the game developer knowing the secret sauce of the matchmaker, there are data scientists running literal simulations of the impact of an SR reset on ladder. They have most likely already considered every possibility when it comes to SR resets including the ones that you think you just brilliantly came up with.

But yea, we are whiteknighting and prevent blizzard from trying something new, lol

2 Likes

Exactly - me too. I got some of the best accuracy on all my chars. Positioning is decent. I like to flank and gets me in trouble mostly from potato tanks.

I use my voice! I had a hog back away from the objective cause he was low, and I had to dive on point to stop the cap.

If they already thought of it then why do you and others need to champion the opposition.

But I do know there is a team of folks who track forum post and make people post opposing views on said posts. It’s organized which is even more credit to the champion of disposing ideas.

People begging “please don’t make me post on this thread”. And for what to set an agenda of not changing the system.

That’s what I saw first hand, dunno about the blizz folks other than it’s a small group of people who don’t like deverse thoughts and self entitled big shots and know it all’s. So a team of data scientists? For a dying game? I don’t think so.

OP suggested a SR reset and I, among other, explained (and even provided evidence) what this would entail. Most of these consequences are not desirable and are pretty much the opposite of what you want to achieve with an SR reset in the first place.

I am not championing anything, I am always on the side of logic and reason.

lol, ok

lol, ok

2 Likes

Is the current system fair? Then why care how it’s unfair?

This is exactly what’s going on now. LOL gm doing low rank to gm vids ALL DAMN DAY. And currently if you don’t belong in bronze you will make it out.

So your “concrete” reasoning is essentially a zero sum.

THANKS - let’s do it.

You just explained it yourself, if you are better, you will climb

1 Like

It’s fairer, that’s for sure.

You keep saying that while dismissing the fact that much more of this would happen if they reset the Sr.

So I’ll ask you again: what do you think a SR reset would change?

2 Likes

If someone improved in their game it would help those resettle in a different rank a little faster than the grind.

And I get what your saying, that will happen naturally, but if all agree that the experience is dogs*** let’s get a little edit: less s*** and more fun matches.

But here comes the gloom and doom scenario…

No it wouldn’t and I explained why.

No, you are obviously not getting it

“Everyone” in this case is a vocal minority frequenting this forum.

2 Likes

I’m so confused and obviously not getting it. you no longer need to respond to me.

Please correct me if I’m wrong or if this is impossible, but if it’s just a minority problem, why not SR reset for lower ranks while higher ranks can just decay or something of the sorts?

What are lower ranks for you? So something likes reset the metal ranks and re-introduce decay at >3000?

I’d honestly have to think about this. I think it would definitely be better than a full blown SR reset. I don’t know what the reasoning behind the removal of SR decay was in the first play. They removed it with the introduction of role queue, so I would assume it was because you would have to play 2 games per week per role not to decay?

I am also wondering what they are gonna do for the OW2 release. The influx of people being a mix of skilled former OW players & completely new players is gonna create unbalanced matches anyway so they might actually do some form of reset at that point.

2 Likes

I’m still pretty new but I think lower ranks consists of gold/plat and below. I feel like the skill floor would be much higher above that.

Oh sorry, i didn’t see this reply. I wasn’t specifically talking about you, but rather about a small vocal minority of the forum here that will have you believe that the matchmaker is rigged and prevents you from climbing by putting bad players on your team and good players & smurfs on the enemy team. SgtSlaughter is one of those guys.

You attitude of wanting to improve is good and will get you out of bronze. Overwatch has a steep initial learning curve but once you got the hang of it you’ll climb, believe me.

Tranquility gave some useful tips. Focusing on yourself and how you can improve (and of course enjoying the game) will reap faster results than focussing entirely on winning and ranking up.

One more thing I’ll add: I don’t know your background in FPS. Many bronze players aren’t in bronze because their gameplay is so bad but because their computer setup is sub optimal, even small stuff like turning off mouse acceleration, your mousepad, or your sitting posture. That stuff is often left out in guides on how to rank up, but you can find these things in separate guides.

Yep, just making sure i got what you meant, and the idea definitely seems a lot better than a hard reset.

1 Like

I most certainly believe if you work on your skillz you’ll slowly rank up. I escaped high bronze 3 times. You can too!

But my goodness if I suggest any alternatives to this system it’s some scheme to get to grand master!

Yeah, it seems really silly to come up with these things like “losers queue”, or the matchmaking setting you up with bots vs smurfs. It just seems like they’re making excuses.

A reset would be nice, but I’m really only asking about the idea so I don’t have to deal with the frustrations. I’ve gotten gold on every other role so I can’t possibly belong here right?? People leave games so frequently in bronze, I can’t exaggerate it enough. I just want to play with people who actually want to win.

4 Likes

Inflammatory and doesn’t actually add to the conversation

Because it is.

You’ll get one for OW2 if you prefer not to buy a new ow1 account.

3 Likes

Yes it is and yes they are.

Your frustration is understandable, i get frustrated with this game every day lol. However, your only chance of a Sr reset is either a fresh account or OW2. The latter being pure speculation. Otherwise just keep playing and look for ways to improve and your climb will come naturally.

3 Likes

Overwatch has an incredible skill curve when compared to a lot of games.

They used to have Rank decay above Diamond. But we hated it because it forces you to play even if you’ve got irl things interrupting your pass time.

I saw one guy above ask if you wanted to group with some people closer to your rank. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes